1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Perisher vs Smiggins with Kids

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by flippa, Mar 13, 2019.

1. flippa

flippa Hard Yards

Hi all, hoping for some advice on a ski trip with 4 young kids (under 6). We usually go to Thredbo but have decided to try somewhere else this time, either Perisher or Smiggins. (We are going to Falls later in the season)

We are leaning towards Smiggins because it looks pretty family friendly and I like the thought of staying in a small resort. Unfortunately due to school holidays and other reasons we have to go on July 7, so very early in the season.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Perisher vs Smiggins generally (as a place to ski with small kids) and more specifically
    - If it is a bad season, what would Smiggins be like vs perisher (thinking about snow making capability?)
    - What's the likely hood of being able to ski through to perisher from smiggins at that time?
    - How long does the bus between Perisher and Smiggins take, and does it run regularly?

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Tim

SMSkier and Tanuki like this.
  2. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Have you considered Charlotte Pass ? It might cater for your needs quite well.

nfip and SMSkier like this.
  3. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Smiggs is the best spot in Australia for your circumstances.
    By a factor of 100 over thredbo.
    More suitable terrain . Better snow.
    Better staff. Learner specific

4. Donzah

7th July can be a bit interesting up there

5. Donzah

Plus the oversnow with kids sucks

6. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

Pretty shit
    A lottery. My first year, 2009, the link was open that early and I thought it was normal. In a bad year, it can still not be open by early August.
    A few minutes, and they run about every 10 minutes or so.

Perhaps consider catching the skitube up to Blue Cow as a Plan B. The tube between Perisher and Blue Cow is free with a valid lift ticket. Blue Cow is higher than Smiggins, has more snowmaking and has good areas of gentle terrain.

flippa likes this.
  7. Donzah

Link T bar is not for kids under six years old.

8. flippa

flippa Hard Yards

Hi Donzah thanks for your replies. The link is for the grown ups to (hopefully) go for a proper ski while the kids are in ski school :)

9. Donzah

All good.
    Link being open isn't always relative to snow conditions. It's quite a decent t bar track to push.

I've done your date last ten seasons (children determine these dates. ..)
    Links been open 75% of that time.

flippa likes this.
  10. Donzah

Are you staying on hill or driving up?

11. flippa

flippa Hard Yards

We are looking at staying in Smiggins.

12. Donzah

Perfect.
    Perisher has a prerogative of linking the resorts as early as they can nowadays .
    They used to be slack.
    It's a marketing thing.. As well as mountain oops wanting to spread people out

13. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Noting the other replies......

One benefit of SH is that if you get in early and make the relevant booking, and depending on where you stay, you can often secure car parking at the front door or close to the lodging.

With 4 kids this is going to reduce ski tube and likely oversnow expenses and make it a lot, lot easier getting there....

Cc to @Ted Harper to who knows SH better than most........,

Good luck with the stay.

flippa likes this.
  14. Donzah

Personally.
    If I was staying at SH.
    I'd drive up. Drop family and gear to lodge.
    Then take car to sawpit and hitch.
    Or tube and pay the return price.

15. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

I have stayed in Smiggins at least once each winter since 2013. Love it. I learned to ski there and so did my children. It’s one of the best spots to be in Perisher during blizzards, and a picturesque spot with some challenging surprises if you know where to look off piste. There are quite a few accommodation options there; the Smiggins Hotel have a good kids club and have some reasonable deals outside of school holidays where children stay for free or at a reduced price. I think @Ted Harper couldl mention a certain ski lodge if he wished to disclose that secret that also seems very good (I will have to check it myself one day). Smiggins all the way .... (shhh).

16. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

7 July is very early in the season and snow making capability at Smiggins is pretty ordinary.

Bus between Perisher and Smiggins is a major pain if it's busy.

Unless they've improved snow making at Smigs in the off season I'd stay at Perisher.

Or you could stay in Jindabyne and drive up, then you can pick and choose. Accom in Jindy is generally cheaper and you can buy a season pass for all National Parks which you can then use the rest of the year elsewhere.

17. Donzah

It's Interschools at Perisher that week.

18. silva

silva One of Us

As above - Northern Region Interschool snowsports are on at Perisher from the 9th to the 13th of July. This turns front valley and Centre Valley into a bit of a zoo and on top of it being school holidays makes the resort super busy. If you can only do that week and wish to check out Perisher I would stay in Smiggins and hope that there is sufficient snow and go to Blue Cow if Smiggins is not open.

19. Arsas

Arsas One of Us

Smiggs is the pick for skiing with young kids. My 3 kids love it. We give them a bit of freedom and let them go and meet up at the bottom every few runs. But that early in the season is a bit hit and miss regarding snow.
    If snow is lacking at Smiggs then Bluecow is perfect. Depending on where you are staying aim to get the 7:45 or 8am tube to Bluecow, grab a table and chill with the best view in the resort, have a coffee and hot chocolate and take your time getting the kids gear all done up, fitted correctly, gloves not tangles etc. (Anyone with young kids knows this process can take 30mins) then head out and ski

Fast Eddie and Belly like this.
  20. newman

newman Addicted

Here's a video trip report I did on July 14-21 in 2017. The snow only came a week earlier, before that it was brown ground and Smiggs wasnt open at all. Link T wasn't open at this stage. The trip was fantastic and we had a blast but leading up to it we were super stressed that there wouldn't be any snow (many hours scouring the weather thread) and I cursed booking so early several times.

Some people came with kids and had a bit of a whinge that they had to take the littlies around to front valley for lessons (I dont know if this was their booking issue or Perisher policy).

In summary July 7 is a definite risk at Smiggins.

21. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie One of Us

Perisher on the other hand will pretty much be guaranteed to have Front Valley and surrounds fully operational due to snowmaking. Plus as previously mentioned access to Blue Cow via the tube is significantly easier if you are staying at one of the Perisher lodges close to Front Valley. Downside - millions of people on Front Valley. Easy to escape if there is snow, especially for more advanced skiers, but harder if you have little kids. Last week of the NSW school holidays starts on the 14th/15th which is when we are heading down. Often that one extra week can make a real difference to the snow cover. Funnily enough we were going to consider Thredbo this year due to the appeal of FF to our youngest, but Sydney Interschools that week has scared us off and we will be at Perisher. Interschools definitely brings the crowds, but at Perisher it tends to concentrate them at FV and race areas, leaving the rest of the resort relatively empty. That was our experience last year at Perisher. Fortunately the snow was quite good in mid july. It's a lottery.

22. Pau1

Pau1 First Runs

Smiggins is great for small children. If the snow is there. I think there would be a good case for expanding the snow making at Smiggins. If they could get it open with a carpet and some J bars for the start of the season it would take the pressure off FV.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  23. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Snowmaking expansion is planned but I don't believe officially scheduled right now, a couple of years ago it was scheduled for this current summer but then it was put on hold 18 months ago and I haven't heard anything since.

Plan for the first stage of expansion is/was for high-intensity snowmaking (think of something starting to approach what Front Valley has) from the line of the triple chair all the way around through J-bar Land, so the whole better-shaded and more beginner-friendly part of the bowl being able to run normally on purely snowmaking snow.

Pau1 and Lady Penelope like this.
  24. Pau1

Pau1 First Runs

Definitely a good idea. They need another area that can open up on only manmade snow. Is there any other part of Perisher that can open on man made snow only apart from FV? Last Queens birthday long weekend was very crowded. If they could get Smiggins opened as well. Apart from being a great place for young people it would take all the pressure of off FV

25. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Towers at Mount P as well as much of Blue Cow.

26. Donzah

Its a miracle front valley is open
    That has tens of millions of dollars of snowmaking technology on it. I can't see them replicating that anywhere .

27. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

They frequently have a lot of terrain open on snow making only in poorer seasons. With good snowmaking they can open front valley, bullwheel, quad /goats gully, wentworth, Happy valley and towers at Perisher. Also boot hill, rollercoaster, Zali's and Excelerator at Blue cow. It generally takes several sustained weeks of snowmaking to get all of that open.

Pau1 and Ted Harper like this.