1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on ski types

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Karuna, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Karuna

Karuna First Runs

I had Karhu Kinetic BC skis for about 30 years and loved them! I could go anywhere and had great control. I did a lot of forest exploration and snow camping in the mountains. I even used the downhill lift to go up and practice telemarking.
    I was at an intermediate level at least.

Then 3 years ago the bottoms delaminated and the whole bottom pealed off both skis.
    I was told that I should have been waxing them even though they were waxless in order to keep the bottoms moisturized so they didn't dry out. No one had told me before.
    QUESTION ONE: Is this true? Would waxing the waxless bottoms have kept them from drying out?

I didn't realize that skis were SO different and asked for advice at the local store. They sold me Rossignol BC 70. I can do nothing with them! no control! can't turn on edge! It's like riding on a flat plank. I was a raw beginner again and fell often. I need to understand why.

I have recently been advised to try Rossignol EVO OT, Rossignol BC 80 Positrack or Madshus Panorama M62. I have been reading articles about camber, tip rocker etc. but it is too complex for me to understand.

How can I find something similar to my beloved Karhu Kinetic BC's?

I use bc NNN bindings on my Rossi BC 70 that came from my Karhu. Someone also said I should get new bindings (that still fit my NNN boots).

I would love advice on:
    QUESTION TWO.
    2. what is most similar to Karhu Kinetic?
    3. what criteria to consider in new skis to get a close match that gives me control and lets me go off trail (mostly ski walking).

I ski groomed trails about 2/3 the time because it is easier on my body, and off trail through the forest about 1/3 the time. I prefer the off trail but don't have the energy any longer to go very far.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

2. pegasusSki

pegasusSki One of Us

Welcome to the forums Karuna.

You might find metal-edged Madshus Eons or the Fischer 68/ 78s the thing.
    Others will come in....it's late in the season...

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  3. teckel

teckel Not a Loser Ski Pass: Gold

'Waxless' doesn't mean they don't need glide wax. It means they don't need grip wax underfoot, as they have a patterned base. It's confusing, but common as a marketing ploy. Not sure though, that that would be the reason for delamination.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  4. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

The skis delaminated because they are so old.

Nothing is similar to those skis because they are so old.

Your old skis were a lot narrower underfoot than those Rossis, maybee try something like a Madschuss Panorama M55. I've a pair with a different name and they turn well, go well BC and also work on the groomed trails.

#4 Telemark Phat, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    skifree likes this.
  5. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Ski bases don't dry out as such. What looks like dry is abrasions on the surface of the base which gives it a fluffy look under the microscope. Using a topical wax will reduce the look of the abrasions but they are still there and will re-appear. This is then the time to give your bases a grind. A bit different with patterned bases but you get the gist.

As @teckel says use glide wax and as @Telemark Phat says. Your skis delaminated because they were so old. Sounds like you got your money's worth out of them.

Chaeron likes this.
  6. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The number of people who wandered into the shop when I worked in one with skis in one hand and bases in the other and asked why did this happen and can we fix it exceeds my memory for numbers.

In every instance they were old skis.

Skis are consumables, they have lives.

Jacko4650 likes this.