1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Advice on some nice blue runs at Thredbo in spring please

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Lady Penelope, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

As a Perisher season pass holder, that resort has me in its steely grip. However, I am tempted to try a trip to The Other Side for a day this spring just to see what it's like in the skiing style capital. I am comfortable on easy to moderate blue runs at {that other place} and can get down more challenging ones such as Zalis and Excelerator, albeit not stylishly. Any suggestions for some lovely runs at Thredbo would be most welcome (probably up from 18 - 20 September for a birthday bash).

familyof5 likes this.
  2. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

#2 HappyGirl, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Lady Penelope likes this.
  3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The Merritts/Cruiser area is quite good because there are two runs away from the chair, splitting into 4 blue runs down the hill back to the Cruiser chair, so the chair traffic tends to spread out quite well

Richard and Lady Penelope like this.
  4. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Hint: As you move across the hill from Merritts to Crackenback the runs get harder for their grading.
    Enjoy Thredbo :)

5. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yeh, don't go to antons/sponars. It's terrible.

6. sourmash

sourmash One of Us

I hear Friday flat rocks....

7. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

If you want to do HN or ST, do them early, then ski high. Merritts is good in spring, and Antons. Spring is more fun if you are happy off piste, as the groomers are only really fun for a short time.

8. Lady Penelope

Ooh la la. Thank you for that timely advice! They sound dreadful indeed ;)

9. Lady Penelope

Wonderful! We may even see some rocks at FF by late Sept too.

10. Untele-whippet

Exhibition, skiers left of Sponars is a great blue run, particularly in spring - enjoy!

11. Lady Penelope

I was going to steer clear of High Noon for a first trip to Thredbo as I've heard it's a teeny bit challenging. Not sure how it would compare with, say, Rollercoaster or Towers at Perisher?

12. Untele-whippet

High Noon is a step up from Zali's IMO

13. telecrag

Steep pitch, which is only maybe a quarter of the run or less, would be much like Zalis, and about the same length.

14. telecrag

Snap! I mean the steepest part of Zalis, but as long as the whole run almost.

Untele-whippet likes this.
  15. telecrag

In fact if you took ALL the runs at Perisher, and put them together, thats the Supertrail. Yeah Perisher has a million lifts, but half of them end at the same place! Yeah it covers an area the size of Kakadu, but its flat!

Don't worry, if you can snowplough without freaking out, any groomed run is skiable. You will have a great time, I can tell from your posts you know how to have fun, wouldn't matter if it was Selwyn.

Dos and Lady Penelope like this.
  16. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

There are loads of blue runs at 'the other side'. I'd start with Basin and Karels (if open) or Merritts depending on where you start (Valley Terminal for the Basin and Friday Flat for Merritts). After that (and depending on conditions) try a nice long blue like the Super Trail or go for a really long green like the Village Trail. High Noon off the Gun Barrel chair does have a steep section that some people find ... awkward. It can be steep and ice, steep with a sugar coating and an icy base, steep and bumpy or on the odd occasion glorious.

If you're still feeling keen (which you should be) try-out Anton and Sponars, they have some great blue runs like Lenny's Leap (especially if its full of wind blown). If it's spring conditions you might want to wait for it to soften a little bit. After that try the traverse over to Merritts (Cruiser Traverse) and Waimea.

Overall, make sure that you try out the longer runs (the Super Trail and like), and if you have the chance (and a guide or really experience friend) go exploring our to the left of Karels (as you go up the t) or over the back ... but only if your brave.

Dos likes this.
  17. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Lap Supertrail. Then Basin. Go up Karels for novelty - highest point etc. Merritts area for fun and lunch. Repeat.

Thredbo and Perisher are vastly different resorts. Expect to find it very different to Perisher. And then embrace it.

Dos and Lady Penelope like this.
  18. kiter

kiter One of Us

I saw the 3 day spring pass ,are there any other offerings to those of us sick of flat ol kakadu who crossed to the dark side but still have a soft spot ,indeed a yearning for good ol threadders

telecrag likes this.
  19. Lady Penelope

Thanks LaNeige (and others) - some great suggestions there. Hoping for a crisp, cool spring so there are plenty of skiing options by the time I get over to Thredders in two weeks time. And as for snowploughing, Telecrag .... saints preserve me! I will side-slip, thank you.

telecrag likes this.
  20. Untele-whippet

Where will Parker station the Rolls?
    Surely FAB1 wouldn't share the day carpark with the common people's vehicles (not to mention snow boarders :eek: )
    [​IMG]

21. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Staying the **** at home. Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think he meant snowploughing straight down the fall line as commonly seen under the Mt P triple. Perhaps plough turns?

22. telecrag

Yeah, you quite often find lower intermediate skiers, who have skied the blues at Merritts, trying to get down HN. But instead of doing a plow or christie turn, and doing big ski school type traverses, they freak out and come down straight, picking up speed, falling over etc.

I do like the little kid high speed straight plows, they are awesome!

23. Lady Penelope

Absolutely not. Parker is rather particular about the Rolls (anyone would think it was his own vehicle), and discourages me from bringing it to the ski fields. So I have to borrow one of those nifty little Subaru AWD thingies. It does drive rather nicely and allows me more time incognito ... It also overtakes all those slow 4WDs at a very quick clip.

24. Untele-whippet

Spiffing, jolly clever!

25. Lady Penelope

Yes, I didn't interpret it this way, Marty. I shudder at the thought of deliberately snowploughing as it's taken me quite some time to expunge this from my turns! Useful as a "go-to" survival strategy, though, I must admit.

26. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Until you get a feel for the place, don't follow people into weird nooks and lines.

They are often mistakes and black.

eg. Bottom of the basin tbar has a line below it. Don't.

cin likes this.
  27. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

and the fact that they are laughing all the way. little shits! LOL

HappyGirl likes this.
  28. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

If you're happy on Excelerator and Zalis then Little Beauty, True Blue, World Cup (from below Kareela Hut) and High Noon are well within your limits. From Kareela Hut you can also get to the area below the Bluff which might also be fun if the snow holds up.

29. winter

winter One of Us

Exibition off Sponars. Sponars to Conrad straight, join the village trail, stay above Karela Hut and join little beauty, true blue.
    Stay away from the main run down the supertrail atm. Its Spring!

30. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

Looks like Little Beauty is not being groomed anymore. Delicious run when in condition, avoid at all costs when not treated!

31. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Everything groomed is blue ..... like the sky

32. Lady Penelope

Thank you. I won't.

33. Lady Penelope

Very validating, although "happy" on Excelerator may be stretching the truth a little. "Can survive with some dignity" perhaps (she says optimistically).

34. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I leave my dignity at the lodge - no point taking it up the hill because I know I'll lose it somewhere LOL.

Little Beauty gets steeper as you go further down, but you can bail out to the left halfway down and get back to Supertrail. It is steep but it's really wide so you have acres of room to wash off speed. It's also one of the most under-used runs at Thredbo so the traffic isn't an issue.

cin, Lady Penelope and telecrag like this.
  35. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Lady P, I reckon you need to think about WHEN as much as WHERE. Here's what I mean by that.

Since you're going quite late in the season, Thredbo will be very slushy lower down quite early in the day. So you need to get up nice and early if you can and ski runs like the Supertrail or High Noon early. Two advantages to this strategy. One, no one around. And two, you might catch the corduroy just as its turning from frozen to soft. I call this "cornduroy".

Even if you don't start that early, explore the lower trails first. This will give you a feel for what makes Thredbo so special. Also, don't be afraid of True Blue on the far left as you look up the hill. It's a toughish blue but with soft snow is nice and easy.

Then in the arvo, explore Basin and Karels, Antons and Sponars, and Merritts areas. Valley View at Merritts is short but a treat!

Most of all, enjoy the vibe. That whole Thredbo rich wanker narrative is IMO a load of crap, mostly. Thredbo is a skier's (and snowboarder's) mountain, for people who really get it. The vibe is much less aggressive than Perisher in my experience. Enjoy!

36. melty68

melty68 One of Us

Allways head straight for merrits if you are feeling a bit intimidated.nice groomed runs...but dont stay there.you must ski to the valley,you will be scared and maybe get a few bruises..but you can go to the pub and say i skiied thredbo i left blood on that mountain...but not my dignity.

Lady Penelope and crackson like this.
  37. Lady Penelope

Thank you very much! I am scribbling notes furiously as I read. May have my children in tow, it transpires, but they (with the exception of the youngest) can ski better than me so not really an issue unless they run out of endurance. A couple of follow-up questions: what is the traverse from the Cruiser area/Gunbarrell Express across to the Village Trail like (obviously weather will be a factor), assuming this is how you usually get from one side of the resort to the other? Also, peering at the trail map it does not appear that there is a direct trail from the top of the Kosciuszko Express or the Basin T Bar to Karel's T Bar? Assume there must be in order to access Karel's and hence "Australia's highest lifted point"? Or is it simply a short traverse?

38. Untele-whippet

Cruiser to ST basically follows a cat track. You need to keep up speed to get to and past the Gunbarrel.
    There is one small steeper section past Sponars T bar down to the bridge over the creek, then the cat track meanders across to ST.
    Easy peezy.
    You need to ski down to the Basin T bar once you get off the Kosi Express chair, then ride up the Basin T, exit left and ski down to get to Karels T bar.
    Happy skiing

39. Lady Penelope

Thanks T-W!

40. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This is so true, whilst Thredders boast the longest runs, most everything below Karela is slushy in anything but the best conditions. So you end up skiing runs the same length as Perisher, there are just a whole lot less of them. Tis a beautiful place though :)

41. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

@Lady Penelope I'm sure I'm not the only person in this thread awaiting a trip report!

Untele-whippet likes this.
  42. Lady Penelope

Just posted, @Ramshead! I came, I skied, I liked! Roll on winter next year ... Ps I asked my children for their favourite memories of today's expedition: Miss 12 - "the bits when I wasn't cold and wet"; Mr 9 - "High Noon", and Mr 6 - "I loved ski school, it was terrific".

Thank you for the invaluable advice, forum members :)

#42 Lady Penelope, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    telecrag, Ramshead and familyof5 like this.
  43. telecrag

Except Perisher only has a couple of steep bits, though it is certainly better for beginner to intermediate in terms of terrain. And snowboarders, they should all go there too.

Alright alright, I quite like both for very different reasons.

Lady Penelope and Funky like this.
  44. Adamski

Adamski Addicted

If Powder Bowl is black, so is Waimea, which is a bit of a drag to get to as well. Little Beauty is pretty steep, as in more than High Noon, and low to boot, but short. Parts of World Cup, or is it True Blue? are steep too.

I think the main groomed blues, i.e. High Noon, Super Trail, Merritts, are comparable to the same at Blue Cow, if longer and more challenging in parts. But everything below the bottom of Central Spur gets pretty slushy in spring (or even mid-winter sometimes!).

45. telecrag

Perisher = Merritts, just a bit bigger!

46. Lady Penelope

Interestingly enough, my 6 year old did Powder Bowl with ski school yesterday - his first time at Thredbo and onto a black run, albeit apparently an easy one. He is triumphant, older brother (yet to be introduced to blacks at Perisher) fuming.

47. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

As a Perisher pass holder I have to say I love Thredbo when the snow is in good nick.
    My oldest 2 kids, were introduced to skiing at Thredbo at 10, and 12, 18 years ago and did lessons. They were both parallel skiing black at the end of the week, I was impressed how quickly they were allowed to advance. If they still have the same level of instruction I can see how stoked your 6 year old must be. Unfortunately the snow conditions that year were so bad I have not returned, I aim to fix that next season as I can now go at short notice.

48. telecrag

The secret to skiing OZ IMO. Either that or only work 3 days a week in winter like me, and go up all the time. The better you know the hill, the better the skiing though too.

Telemark Phat and nfip like this.
  49. melty68

melty68 One of Us

When traversing at thredbo either from crackenback to merrits or merrits to the supertrail you have to stay as high as possible on the mountain or you will end up in that scary valley that looks like a jungle with deep snow and deathly silence.,...I never want to go there.