Advice on USA B2 Visa

stacey01

First Runs
Jun 25, 2007
I'm heading to Whistler in October on a 24 month WHP Canada visa. Haven't booked flights yet but most of what I've looked at have a stop in the United States en route to Vancouver therefore I will need to get a B2 Visa.
One of the sections on the application form is to provide an address where I'll be staying whilst in the US but as flights etc arent yet booked I dont have this info.
Is it a requirement to have flights booked and known address where staying before applying for the B2 Visa?
Any info will be appreciated
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

stacey01

First Runs
Jun 25, 2007
Bato- I've checked out China Airlines but the best deal I've found flys via honolulu from Melbourne.

Gavman- I think I require the Visa even if I'm only touching down in US for a brief period as I'm going to be in Canada over 90 days.

I may consider travelling America aswell during or after working in Canada so I need to get the Visa, I'm just unsure of whether I need to have flights/accomm booked before I make the appointment.
Have emailed the Consulate but haven't heard back..

Gavman

First Runs
Feb 18, 2008
yeah thats what i said to put down on the form

i had to do the same thing in 2004, get a visa even though i only spent 90 mins in san fran airport

stacey01

First Runs
Jun 25, 2007
Oh okay, but then if I was to travel back across the border..say 6 months later from Canada would I encounter issues with US Customs?

Gavman

First Runs
Feb 18, 2008
its a 6 month travel visa

you have to hand it back in by the end of the 6 months. what i did was get a working visa for the US whilst i was in canada, and worked a summer at a sports camp

don't mess with US customs

SAMBO_80

First Runs
Nov 5, 2007
South Coast NSW (AUS)
Hey Stacey, you are right, you need the US visa because you will be in canada for more than 90 days. Plus as you said you may decide to cross the border sometime. On the visa form i just left that section regarding address in US blank. Somewhere else on the form it states reason for travel, I just put in there that I was working in Canada with possible site seeing in US aftrewards. Once you get through to your interview at US consulate they will see that you are working in Whistler and realise that you have to have the US one and it will be a breeze.

stacey01

First Runs
Jun 25, 2007
Thanks guys for your input..I've booked in for my US Visa appointment on 2nd May, hopefully it all goes well
smile.gif

stacey01

First Runs
Jun 25, 2007
Just a quick update..

Had my Visa interview on Friday, went smoothly.
I got approved for a 5 year B2 visa and it arrived in the mail yesterday (1 business day later).
I cant believe how quickly it arrived!!
Glad that I got it, now I'm free to cross the border as I please during or after my time working in Canada
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

stacey01

First Runs
Jun 25, 2007
Yep..5 years, valid until 2013!! I'm wrapped!
I think they only offer 12 months or 5 years (for an additional $25USD) and as I told them I want to travel the US after my Canada visa's up they approved 5 years!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass