Advice on X Country gear

schnaxl

First Runs
Aug 24, 2005
Sydney
My partner is thinking of getting Fischer Outbound Crown skis with cable bindings and Scarpa T3's. He doesn't want to telemark, but wants to use them for backcountry touring.
He has read the stuff about cables with Fischer Outbounds, but the store (Alsport) says it should be okay.
Any opinions, advice etc?

surveyorcam

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2004
Melbourne
Cable Bindings is pretty vague...

Any details?

Sounds like an ok plan to me. That would be a very telemarkable set up, if your part ever felt the urge.

schnaxl

First Runs
Aug 24, 2005
Sydney
Fischer Outbound Crown skis with Black Diamond cable bindings and Scarpa T3 boots. He wants to do trips up to the main range etc - not just the trails around Perisher. What do you think?

telemark fred

One of Us
May 20, 2002
Newcastle East
Should be fine, but the Fischer Outtabounds would be better. Some might reccomend the Fischer Boundless. I have these - and they are a great turning ski, but at the expense of glide (less camber so the pattern drags). If tele turns are not the intent then the Outtabounds is a good way to go, and that ski reportedly also turns reasonably well...

I ski my boundless with Garmont Ener-g Boots and Rainey super-loop bindings. I am relatively lightweight at 63kg, but I like to have a go and point em at all sorts of terrain. My binding screws havent pulled out yet. This doesnt guarantee that all will be ok, but I reckon that with a softer smaller boot, and a less aggressive style your partner will be fine on the set-up you describe.

Alex.C

One of Us
Oct 14, 2003
Canmore
telemark fred said:
I ski my boundless with Garmont Ener-g Boots and Rainey super-loop bindings.
Wow isn't that a little unbalanced? A rather serious ly big stiff boot with a relatively light tourable ski...

Last edited by a moderator:

telemark fred

One of Us
May 20, 2002
Newcastle East
Nah - I use the Ener-G for all my skiing nowadays. :p

Actually - I do more often use my older Syner-G with the Boundless, I also have a pair of leather boots, but the ener-g and syner-g are only a little heavier (and surprisingly weigh the same as each other!), so I havent used the leather ones in ages.

My point was that I have stepped into my Boundless in my Ener-G and skiied some challenging terrain and they coped fine. Last time I did this was at Hotham last season, got the boundless out of the car (switched off my Karhu Jaks) to see how they would go on some black terrain just for the hell of it. They went fine there, but were a real drag on the cat-tracks.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Have a look at the Atomic pattern base skis (Sierria or Rainier), or the Salomon (if you can find em) or other skis with bases cut in by Stefan.

gusc

Hard Yards
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
If your partner only wants to tour, how about the Voile Hardwire binding, or a plain 3-pin binding?

You can use the Hardwire just as a touring 3-pin binding, but add the cable if you want to pursue telemarking.

Dunno what the others here think about this, nor how the price compares to the BD cable (prob more spenny). I think some people curse a 3-pin binding with plastic boots because the holes ice up and you can't get your boot seated properly; I must admit I've only put my plastics on my 3-pins once or twice, so can't comment much.

Stix

First Runs
Mar 3, 2006
I've only been tele'ing for a couple of years. Touring and attempting the resort thing. When your learning none of the skis turn well, so my thought was to get one that will tour relatively easily. I have the Fischer Outtabound Crowns with Crispi CXA's and the Viola hard wires. Not really knowing of any other setups I have been very happy with what I have.

Rolo

One of Us
Jul 28, 1998
ACT
Don't put a cable binding of any description on an Outbound. Outtabouds OK, Boundless better.

Ask the ANUMC what happens when you put Cable + Garmont Excursion + Outbounds together. It certainly doesn't equal a warranty claim when the screws rip out (LOTS did), as Fischer expressly state (in the wholesaler's price manual) not to put anything over NNN-BC on the Outbound.

Haven't seen anything from Salomon that is cable-able either, and that was on advice from the factory about even their new model of ski that is meant to pair off against the Outtabounds.

I imagine Atomic would have similar constraints, but don't know for sure.

Hhhmmm.

sidetrack

One of Us
Apr 20, 2005
Sunbury
I would recomend a Outabounds or Boundless over the Outbound as well. Have owned the first 2 and used plastics with both, no problems and im pretty aggressive and weigh over 85kg. These setups are still not pure touring ones as the ski's actually turn quite well. You would definently still need skins.

If its just touring I would look at a lighter boot, excursions or T4's with a more traditional twin camber/more aggressive pattern based ski. This way you would very rarley need skins and you can still tele on them anyway. The voilie 3pin- cable binding is great for touring with.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Get a piece of plywood and your outwhatevers and trace a pattern. There you go a spare pair when you need em. You should get about 10 pairs out each sheet.

You will slow the binding failure on the ski if you drill al the way through and put Big washers on the underside.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
When you have seen the inside of these skis you'll want to cut a big washer out of roofing iron and use a big hex head rather than on off the shelf washer. I'd recomend steel over titanium to put some guts into the set up. But not stainless, that would just be flashy

telemark fred

One of Us
May 20, 2002
Newcastle East
If you put the bolts through and the nuts on the underside you have a set of ski crampons as well. Might be a bit slow on the glide though.

Alternatively, having the nuts up on top of the duck bill would look pretty rugged for extra points with the teenager crew.

headache

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 27, 2005
Canberra
Use wingnuts on top of the duck bill - releaseable bindings. Alternatively, mount rabbit traps on your skis for the ultimate in step-in bindings.

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
aquadhering two sheets of ply together would give you better flex, even if it was only in the short term. Personally I figure a parliament hinge on the duckbill would do away with bindings completely.

telemarx

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
newcastle, nsw, australia
headache said:
Alternatively, mount rabbit traps on your skis for the ultimate in step-in bindings.
Not the ultimate....dingo traps would give more ankle support for skiing the steeps
r35842_89465.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass