Advice re booking ski trip to France from London

Rudy Garmish

One of Us
Aug 1, 2000
Melbourne
Howdy all. Having relocated to London recently, I'm trying to book a week at either Chamonix or Val d'Isere for late January or mid March.

Can anyone recommend any agents or tour operators to go through ? Also, any recommended hotels for either resort would be handy. There will be 4 or 6 of us going and looking for something with at least some self-catering facilities and ski in / ski out access.

Cheers ........... Rudy.

TB

First Runs
Jun 11, 2004
Sydney
I went to Val a couple years ago and booked through Val disere Agence, they have stacks of properties. I think we stayed at one called Crocus in middle of Val town couple min walk to lifts (well located but pretty small-a lot of them are). There were four of us, three flew from Aus to Geneva one from London with Easyjet (really cheap from memory) we hired a car from Geneva to Val and booked the driver for return trip this was pretty close to the cost of a bus ticket each any way.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
As others have pointed out, you shouldn't really need a tour operator. Fly to Geneve, then train/bus from there.

There isn't really any such thing as 'ski in / ski out' in Chamonix. The town is in the valley and you access the various resorts by bus then cable cars along the valley.

If you plan to ski various areas stay in Chamonix and catch the ski bus (included in ski pass). If you have mostly advanced skiers you may want to stay in Argentiere and ski Grand Montet most days.

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
yep as said chamonix aint ski in ski out ,
val disere is closer to ski in ski out ,
perhaps you might want something like les arcs , val thorens ( val disere) or avoriaz(ports du soleil) for real ski in ski out ..

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Portes Du Soleil is great if you want to cover plenty of territory. Breakfast in France, lunch in Switzerland or vv, just make sure you turn around in time to get back where you started from or else it could be an expensive taxi ride.

*vixenski_unlocked*

First Runs
Nov 23, 2005
Bahamas
Rudy - it's often cheaper and less fuss to go with all inclusive options instead of self catering. Most of the chalets offer very good catered accommodation for reasonable prices.
We went to the 3 Valleys from London for a long weekend - took us 11 hours very pretty drive to get there (including Channel tunnel crossing), and worked out relatively cheaply - accom including all meals was 149 pounds pp for 3 days. It was great having the car there because we didn't have to rely on chalet or mountain transport to get to and from the slopes, which is a bonus when you're not staying in a ski in/ski out resort.

InMyTree

First Runs
May 18, 2001
Munich, Germany
People always seem to make the assumption that it is cheaper to organise the trip yourself. I find that in most occasions it is not.

When you take into consideration flying, transfers and a weeks accomodation, places like Inghams are just as cheap if not cheaper in most cases..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Rudy Garmish

One of Us
Aug 1, 2000
Melbourne
Thanks all; I'll give Inghams a try. Also looks like it will now be Val D'Isere and not Chamonix, given the mix of our skier group.

adminvb

First Runs
Nov 11, 2013
If you are a mixed group including intermediates you may find 3V preferable to Val D'Isere.

The home runs at Val are no exactly friendly

Cheers
Powdercat
www.skihimalaya.com

Last edited:
InMyTree said:
People always seem to make the assumption that it is cheaper to organise the trip yourself. I find that in most occasions it is not.

When you take into consideration flying, transfers and a weeks accomodation, places like Inghams are just as cheap if not cheaper in most cases..
what is their price for a week between xmas & ny at argentierre?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass