1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Advice sought for where to stay in Hakuba

Discussion in 'Japan' started by southpaw, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Shrike

Shrike Hard Yards

Depending on Budget and availability @Lucky Pete has some great self contained options my group isn't big enough and one of us doesn't have the budget but based on my experience meeting Pete last trip if I had the right group would definitely stay with him for self contained option.

Otherwise @TJ at Whitehorse does a full service stay (shuttle to the resorts etc) and he offers good rates for forum members if you PM him

We went with Cottage Tomato for our next trip due to accessibility to what we want, I stayed at the Hakuba station Guest house last time which was a great budget option.

Have looked into other self contained options as well but no experience staying. If you had been going during the Feb 2nd to 8th I would have potentially said you could jump into my booking with my partner and friend as we can have up to 7people (3 at this stage with a maybe on a 4th) as long as Tatumi matts aren't an issue, but I am guessing you want your own space as well :p

Taxis are pretty well priced in Hakuba and I have walked from the Train station to Happo One, this time round I have mapped out all the buses times and pickup points for our next trip but not against walking/taxi if I have too.

If you are renting/paying for lessons take advantage of the pickup service some places offer as well, I got my partner a private lesson last time and grabbed a lift to Hakuba Goryu when she got picked up :)

I looked at getting a car for this trip and as only two of us can get an international license and we like to drink decided against it.

http://hakubamap.com/taxi.html gives a rough taxi fare cost

#51 Shrike, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Lucky Pete and LMB like this.
  2. southpaw

southpaw Hard Yards

Thanks Shrike, some great leads and will definitely check in and see what they’ve got. If we were going to be there earlier in Jan we would have been open to sharing.

3. 2ESki

2ESki Addicted

Try Hotel De Laile, we stayed there last year, in Wandano, 3 min walk to slopes, shuttles 5 min walk to other resorts great onsen, was cheap but clean and warm , will def go back there, owner was lovely :thumbs:

southpaw likes this.
  4. southpaw

southpaw Hard Yards

Thanks for the tip!

5. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Let me know if I can help. No matter which way you go book ASAP as many of the better places already have very limited availability in Jan.

southpaw likes this.
  6. southpaw

southpaw Hard Yards

Thanks Pete, I’m waiting to hear from Justin at the Co-op but it’s been a couple of days and I haven’t heard back yet, if he doesn’t come through in the next day or two I might hit you up.

7. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

No worries :) Justin and his crew are great and at this time of year probably arent working weekends so it might take a few more days to get back to you.

8. southpaw

southpaw Hard Yards

Unfortunately Justin at the Coop couldn’t quite fit us in for our dates but he very kindly referred us to Double Black for our week and we are now booked in. Two lessons learned for the future:
    1. Book earlier next year
    2. Avoid sites like Booking.com etc better deals (and availability!) are often found dealing direct with the accommodation provider.

Kimski and Sage Oya like this.
  9. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Awesome, don’t forget to do a trip report when you’re there :D

southpaw likes this.
  10. LDJ

LDJ Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

That was a name of the place I was trying to think of. It’s awesome. A bit dated but Cheap, well located and excellent Onsen and you can ski back along goat track. Staff were lovely.

2ESki likes this.
  11. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Glad you got it sorted. Jim et al at DB will look after you for sure!

This! We pay big commissions to booking.com 13%+ in some instances. Hotels are more than happy to discount from the published rates on those site as both the guest and hotel benefit. Use them to find the place then email direct.

southpaw likes this.
  12. skivet

skivet Addicted

I always check price direct website compared to booking.com. In quite a few instances booking .com is cheaper than the hotel’s booking site price and more recently the booking.com price was cheaper than the hotels discounted early bird price by a few hundred dollars. Maybe due to me being a genius member which discounts hotel price? But goes to show booking direct is not always the cheapest. I know I could have emailed and haggled but I never feel comfortable doing this.

13. southpaw

southpaw Hard Yards

As I understand it sites like booking.com often have price parity clauses in their contracts which prevents the accommodation provider from advertising a price lower than the price on the aggregator site. However the accommodation provider can offer a better deal if they are approached directly by phone or email. This is ok because the better price isn’t advertised.

14. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Some of the larger hotels are cheaper on booking.com
    e.g. Naeba Prince Hotel was cheaper last January, than the price I could get as a Seibu Prince EMI member.

15. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

One caveat there - booking.com etc can make it easier to do the initial research and narrow down the search field. *Then* you go direct to the operator.

southpaw likes this.
  16. TJ

TJ One of Us

One more on that. We are pretty established now with 90% return and referrals so thankfully we don't need to use the booking engines except for low season. As we don't release any rooms to them they will tell the world we are full for your dates. Get the info you want and hit up the hotel direct even if it says they are full on those sites.

nezumi and skivet like this.
  17. southpaw

southpaw Hard Yards

That’s exactly what I found on aggregator sites: either no availability or extremely high prices compared to approaching the accommodation provider directly. I’ve learned not to assume what the booking engines tell is correct re availability and to nevertheless check with the property.

Lucky Pete and Kimski like this.