Aeroplan

Discussion in 'Flights' started by oldgeezer, Nov 15, 2017.

1. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

So I read that after having cut loose its former air miles division and got Aeroplan going as an independant business some years back Air Canada is going to start a new in-house air miles division from 2020.

Is there any info concerning what will happen with Aeroplan, and miles accrued.

There is some material suggesting Air Canada may still honour accrued Aeroplan miles after 2020 but I found I could never use them on Air Canada itself for their most benefit effective role, i.e. Business or First, so used them on United and ANA
    However even Economy never came up as an option except on very circuitous routes on Star Alliance partners. (Maybe on domestic flights one could get actual Air Canada tails.)

Aeroplan did have a good points plus pay though, far better than Qantas say so I am wondering more about how Aeroplan might be treated in terms of being a Star Alliance without Air Canada being involved.

I am inclined to think Aeroplan miles will be worthless from 2020 so for Star Alliance travel from now on it would be better to be in a different program even if flying Air Canada against which to accrue miles.

Are some better than others? I'm thinking of features such as being free to join, longevity of miles, keeping membership open for three years with no activity as Aeroplan does, relatively unrestricted accrual eg not just for fully flexible economy etc.

Seeing as Aeroplan worked out Ok for me in terms of utilisation and was pretty good in other aspects my personal preference, if they continue to be a Star Alliance member organisation would be to keep using it for accruing Star Alliance miles, but it is hard to see how it might continue as a member. After using up all but 57 of our miles on a recent First/Business flight from Chicago to Sydney what I figure start a new program now, as I'm looking a a couple of Lufthansa RTW tickets pretty soon.

2. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We are also part of Aeroplan and was thinking what to do also when the change came. We have had much success with redeeming Aeroplan miles although as you said not through Air Canada. Worked well for all our trips out of South Africa and Frankfurt over to Vancouver :) . Not sure what we will do.

3. Neeroy

Neeroy Hard Yards

I have been trying to organize an upgrade from economy to Prem Econ or Business on a booked return flight, (Air Cananda) Vancouver - Sydney (mid March) and it has been very difficult. The travel agent had a go then flicked it back to me. Any advice gratefully received.

4. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

Another downside of having hived off Aeroplan is just that sort of issue. One way to get some value out of the air miles before they become worthless might be to look at using them for things like hotel stays etc. Not that it effects me having already used them up.

5. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Can't help with that one, have never done upgrades just booked seats with them. Have found their call center to be really good and helpful. One year we missed our flights that where very complex and they managed after a 2 hr phone convo to re-route us (whirl wind trip through the orient to get to Vancouver) but they did it and where very helpful.

6. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

Looking into what Star Alliance plan to join for accruing miles from some Lufthansa and Swiss flights next year I googled what's happening with Aeroplan.

It seems that the Aimia group which had bought Aeroplan from Air Canada (in 2008, when Air Canada was in bankruptcy IIRC, and so obtained some cash) had been working on plans to become something like what sounds like Flybuys but with some alignment with smaller operators like Porter, based in Toronto.

However apparently without Air Canada miles Aeroplan would have become just a shell.

So the net result seems to be that Air Canada will now buy Aeroplan back from Aimia in 2020, and transfer the miles with it.

Most likely there will be some sort of points devaluation as part of the process, maybe by actually setting up a new internal scheme and swapping old Aeroplan points in at 2:1, say, or by increasing the number of points required for flights.

Nothing new about this in Aeroplan, and with many other airline loyalty programs of course.