Advice needed Affordable ski jacket?!

JoannaSQ

First Runs
Nov 29, 2016
Hello everyone!

I am a new skier and I need to find a cheap ski jacket.. I have no idea what to look for, feature-wise (I do want it to be pink though:D ) What brands should I check out first?

Thanks in advance!

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
have a look through here to give you an idea on range, features and price etc.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/womens-ski-jackets~d~617/

Choosing jackets is part objective and a lot subjective.

you want it to be at least 10k waterproof and 10k breathability - the bigger the numbers, the better.

Other features like powderskirt and a two way zip are nice to haves

Many of those shown you can buy, but some they cant ship to Australia

If you are interested, remember prices shown are US$ and allow around $50 for shipping to Oz

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Hello everyone!

I am a new skier and I need to find a cheap ski jacket.. I have no idea what to look for, feature-wise (I do want it to be pink though:D ) What brands should I check out first?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Joanna.

Are you wanting the jacket urgently for a Northern Hemisphere trip? Or are you looking in advance for next Southern Winter.

As a new skier, you're not likely to be hitting deep powder off piste, so you can get away without things like the powder skirt if you find the right Jacket and the right price and it doesn't have it. Once you are further along in your journey the features will rate a lot higher than the colour in your choices. And you'll likely upgrade.

You might find off season/last season sales in local ski shops (depending on where you are). Or a look on eBay/other 2nd hand sales might turn up a lightly used jacket in your size.

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
Southern part of Brisbane
The most important consideration is where you will be skiing. Temperatures in the northern hemisphere in the ski season are much colder than in an Australian ski season. cheap is not always the best when skiing - you need to be warm or you will hate it out there on the slopes and will not find the joy in skiing. Good quality jackets can last a long time. If you are just starting and don't know if you will love skiing and continue, then hire a ski jacket.

Karicta

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2011
Check out the sales at the outdoor stores. I picked up a berghaus gortex for $50, and whilst you gotta be lucky to get that kinda deal, there are often massive discounts.....

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
Brand name of the jacket isn't as important as the brand name of the fabric from which its constructed. Goretex is optimal but expensive. There are many substitute fabrics that come close to the same waterproofing/breathability and cost less.

. cheap is not always the best when skiing - you need to be warm or you will hate it out there on the slopes and will not find the joy in skiing. Good quality jackets can last a long time.

This is all solid advice. Its often impossible to hire jackets/pants in resort so you could end up with a very expensive add-on to your holiday. Best to try to borrow from friends if at all possible. Once you decide that its a sport you're gonna stick with, buy the best gear that you can possibly afford, do your research and don't rush it.

With snow gear, cheap is often the most expensive as it breaks or lets you down when you need it. The day you're in a blizzard at -25 with wind chill (quite possible even in Australia), you'll regret saving a few $$ on something that isn't waterproof. Buy good gear and it'll last for years. My prior jacket (Entrant GII fabric) served me from 1999-2011 and is still going strong as a "lender" for mates who want to borrow gear.

A powderskirt isn't just a "nice-to-have". I would never buy a jacket without one.

Don't make the mistake of buying a mountaineering jacket that's made of Goretex but doesn't have a powderskirt. As a learner you'll be on your bum a lot and having ice and snow up your back isn't much fun. The powderskirt stops this happening.

The most important consideration is where you will be skiing. Temperatures in the northern hemisphere in the ski season are much colder than in an Australian ski season.

It is a bit counter-intuitive but quality gear is MORE important in Australia than in the Northern hemisphere, because its so often icy, rainy, slushy and wet in Aus. And you still get blizzards on top of that. My casual observation and anecdotal surveying in Europe has found that sometimes the cheap materials that are only waterproof to say 5000mm, actually do a pretty decent job in peak season here because the snow is nice and dry. I've been riding with novices who've picked up cheap stuff for their first ski trip from Tk Maxx or Sports Direct (both UK retailers) and had no issues whatsoever. Not sure if the gear will last numerous seasons but its certainly kept them warm and dry for a week or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: MickM

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Aldi 100%. I have the top range jacket and it has been great in US, Europe and Japan. Have the crane pants and they have been great too. Replaced North Face gear I previously had.

I get cold hands though so have Swany leather mitts.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass