849425D0-91E8-4EA0-9E89-F58CD2FDF0CA.jpeg

:D:D:D
Erection looks limp.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
It's been up Hannels, done the 10 highest peaks in Australia and been dragged along most of the AAWT in the ACT. Works for me.
Looks and sounds great in 3-4 season fair weather, which is most of the time.
Your WE is for the gnarly times.
I’ve got 4 tents and 2 bivy sacs on the go for different adventures atm.
My bad weather tent is standout yellow.
N+1 :cheers:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I did a dangerous thing last night; I read the tent manual.

One thing jumped out at me; the manufacturer recommended taking the tent out of it's storage bag and storing it in an old pillow slip. Does anyone do this ? I have done this for my Mont sleeping bag as they supplied one but haven't done so for any tents.

Reactions: Chaeron

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Yes It is standard operational procedure for me after losing a tent or two to PU degradation.
Loose in a mouse and rat-proof plastic box with ventilation holes drill in it or a HD cardboard box. To avoid hydrolysis of the PU coatings they have to be kept dry and ventilated.
Tents don't come with storage bags, I consider them stuff bags for rucksack carry

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I did a dangerous thing last night; I read the tent manual.

One thing jumped out at me; the manufacturer recommended taking the tent out of it's storage bag and storing it in an old pillow slip. Does anyone do this ? I have done this for my Mont sleeping bag as they supplied one but haven't done so for any tents.

Loosely folded or wrapped in a drawer. Not so loose at the present, need to sell and tent or find another drawer.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Loosely folded or wrapped in a drawer. Not so loose at the present, need to sell and tent or find another drawer.

vital. If packed too tight, the "glue" will come off the tent seams/ fly. Major pain. Loosely folded better than stuffed too.

Another reason why I don't buy exy tents. I've had tents degrade even packed as above.

Reactions: Chaeron and skifree

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Another reason why I don't buy exy tents. I've had tents degrade even packed as above.
When I started skiing my first tent was an Aldi tent and I car camped out at Island Bend. The slightest puff of wind and it took off.

This tent is for Tassie wilderness and alpine camping above the treeline. Want it to be as light and bomber as possible.

Can now afford tents better than Aldi quality than when I started off. :)

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
When I started skiing my first tent was an Aldi tent and I car camped out at Island Bend. The slightest puff of wind and it took off.

This tent is for Tassie wilderness and alpine camping above the treeline. Want it to be as light and bomber as possible.

Can now afford tents better than Aldi quality than when I started off. :)

Sure - I have a bad experience with my WE 2nd arrow. Hate tunnels - ie front entry - feeding poles through tunnel late at night, pole snapping through the tunnel (too much tension)- too many lines near the door at ground level.
My next tent will be a Space or Goondie for above the treeline.

If in the treeline might even go for Z pack - tyvek style option but not in high wind.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Sure - I have a bad experience with my WE 2nd arrow. Hate tunnels - ie front entry - feeding poles through tunnel late at night, pole snapping through the tunnel (too much tension)- too many lines near the door at ground level.
My next tent will be a Space or Goondie for above the treeline.

If in the treeline might even go for Z pack - tyvek style option but not in high wind.
I've broken the poles on every single tent I've owned, even those that don't have any poles ! I've got a pipe cutter to cut the replacements down to size.

Why would this tent be any different ? :rolleyes:

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
I've broken the poles on every single tent I've owned, even those that don't have any poles ! I've got a pipe cutter to cut the replacements down to size.

Why would this tent be any different ? :rolleyes:

tunnels my friend!. On this occasion the pole pushed through the tunnel fabric. I prefer tents where the inner clips to the pole and there's no pushing the pole through a sleeve in the dark, or a pole disconnecting in the sleeve when trying to remove it in that shuffle you have to do..

Last edited:

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
tunnels my friend!. On this occasion the pole pushed through the tunnel fabric. I prefer tents where the inner clips to the pole and there's no pushing the pole through a sleeve in the dark, or a pole disconnecting in the sleeve when trying to remove it in that shuffle you have to...
Ouch, have yet to do that.

This tent isn't too bad to put up. Peg the foot of the tent facing into the breeze. Put the short pole in. Curse and swear as you do the second, longer pole. Use 2 pegs to hold down the head on the tent and you've now got a workable shelter.

Will advise if my opinion changes once cold / dark / exhausted / wearing ski gloves / blowing a blizzard / doing by feel. Might be easier to throw a tele-skier out of a Goondie ;)

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Ouch, have yet to do that.

This tent isn't too bad to put up. Peg the foot of the tent facing into the breeze. Put the short pole in. Curse and swear as you do the second, longer pole. Use 2 pegs to hold down the head on the tent and you've now got a workable shelter.

Will advise if my opinion changes once cold / dark / exhausted / wearing ski gloves / blowing a blizzard / doing by feel. Might be easier to throw a tele-skier out of a Goondie ;)

sure - I put the tent up countless times in minutes, in others, guys got entangled, there was tension somewhere etc, hands were cold. Hard to see which pole was which (maybe mark one - idiot proof lol).

When I moved to the tents where you clip interior to fly I saw the light. I grant being able to put up the tunnel fly and inner together is great - which also contributes to a bit of entanglement.

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

hpsauce

A Local
Ski Pass
May 19, 2008
sure - I put the tent up countless times in minutes, in others, guys got entangled, there was tension somewhere etc, hands were cold. Hard to see which pole was which (maybe mark one - idiot proof lol).

When I moved to the tents where you clip interior to fly I saw the light. I grant being able to put up the tunnel fly and inner together is great - which also contributes to a bit of entanglement.
I'm the opposite.....Looooove tunnels..for 1000 reasons. Zero dramas in 20+ years of use. Touch wood though for this winter!:whistle:

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT

They knew I was coming; the short pole is black and the long one is red ;)

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Heavy wet snow a 5 or 6 pole geodesic, but strong wind a good tunnel.
As I consider wind the most dangerous I prefer tunnels but I own a 4 pole hybrid too,

Reactions: hpsauce

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
tunnels my friend!. On this occasion the pole pushed through the tunnel fabric. I prefer tents where the inner clips to the pole and there's no pushing the pole through a sleeve in the dark, or a pole disconnecting in the sleeve when trying to remove it in that shuffle you have to do..

Poles in a fly sleeve are much stronger than poles clipped to the inner. The Mont Moondance I recently purchased is a pitch inner first but has little velcro ties on the fly that can be wrapped around the poles where the guy lines attach. Rather fiddly if it's windy and wet.

Sounds like you need a Hilleberg though! best of both worlds. Poles on the outside, integral pitch or fly only. Guy lines looped around poles directly. Not ultralight however
12112.jpg

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Poles in a fly sleeve are much stronger than poles clipped to the inner. The Mont Moondance I recently purchased is a pitch inner first but has little velcro ties on the fly that can be wrapped around the poles where the guy lines attach. Rather fiddly if it's windy and wet.

Sounds like you need a Hilleberg though! best of both worlds. Poles on the outside, integral pitch or fly only. Guy lines looped around poles directly. Not ultralight however
12112.jpg
You're not a tele-skier by any chance ? They love 30kg packs :eek:

luke1234

One of Us
May 31, 2015
It does better outside.

B30932FD-A51A-45C0-84B7-FB6B8BBCE3D1.jpeg

9DDBC087-FB30-4426-83A9-43697F29D619.jpeg

6A6E75DF-1162-4CFA-B119-4B38621F2153.jpeg

EC8AB41A-AF90-40C0-B488-E2E82FF5A261.jpeg

46BFB847-4F8F-48B9-9571-CE53C2A6E311.jpeg

Can fit my 189cm frame inside and there’s room to sit up :)

I love this tent the Wilderness Equipment Second Arrow, some photos of it in the snow from the past year:

20200218_175537.jpg
20200218_183640.jpg
index.jpg

It's on the small side for 2 people for winter camping, for solo trips it's perfect, however for Summer it's a great fit for 2 people. For the weight/strength/warmth ratio I think it's an extremely good tent, especially for shorter winter trips or one where you have a bigger base camp shelter. The ventilation options are great and with attention it's almost always dry inside in the morning. Careful attention must be paid to getting a strong anchor on both ends so it can withstand high winds or snow load which can be difficult in soft/faceted snow, I've buried a sack filled with snow, or used my ski poles/skis/axe (if available).

I hope you have a great winter camping in it!

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I love this tent the Wilderness Equipment Second Arrow, some photos of it in the snow from the past year:

20200218_175537.jpg
20200218_183640.jpg
index.jpg

It's on the small side for 2 people for winter camping, for solo trips it's perfect, however for Summer it's a great fit for 2 people. For the weight/strength/warmth ratio I think it's an extremely good tent, especially for shorter winter trips or one where you have a bigger base camp shelter. The ventilation options are great and with attention it's almost always dry inside in the morning. Careful attention must be paid to getting a strong anchor on both ends so it can withstand high winds or snow load which can be difficult in soft/faceted snow, I've buried a sack filled with snow, or used my ski poles/skis/axe (if available).

I hope you have a great winter camping in it!
I've done plenty of camping in the snow next to the car, the next challenge is doing the same but with some BC action. Probably start with an overnight from Guthega. Got a nice package waiting for me at AusPost tonight.

john_k

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
After ordering a Mountain Designs tent whereby it took me about 30 seconds to realise what poor quality it was (see: https://www.mountaindesigns.com/equipment/tents/expedition-tents/expedition-2-person-tent/BP90141975) and sending it back for an immediate refund, and not wanting to spend $1300 on a Hillerberg, I have just bought a Ferrino Trivor 2. Landed cost was about $580AUD.

Arrived very quickly with DHL, has the outer and inner fly pre-attached like the Hillerberg tents, and looks like good quality. A few nights in storm conditions on the MR will undoubtedly test it.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
After ordering a Mountain Designs tent whereby it took me about 30 seconds to realise what poor quality it was (see: https://www.mountaindesigns.com/equipment/tents/expedition-tents/expedition-2-person-tent/BP90141975) and sending it back for an immediate refund, and not wanting to spend $1300 on a Hillerberg, I have just bought a Ferrino Trivor 2. Landed cost was about $580AUD.

Arrived very quickly with DHL, has the outer and inner fly pre-attached like the Hillerberg tents, and looks like good quality. A few nights in storm conditions on the MR will undoubtedly test it.
Didn't you know their correct name is Mountain Disasters.

john_k

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
Didn't you know their correct name is Mountain Disasters.

Yep, my first purchase since they closed down, quite sad really as they use to be top notch. Admittedly their customer service was excellent and they paid for a full refund including return postage costs.

Laska Goralska

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2018
Here, or skiing
Yep, my first purchase since they closed down, quite sad really as they use to be top notch. Admittedly their customer service was excellent and they paid for a full refund including return postage costs.

What were your concerns with that Mountain Designs tent if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: nezumi

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
..I got a cheap MD tent for 3 seasons / summer camping and it seems fine. I've yet to compare with say a Marmot Tungsten.
Others may draw conclusions.

john_k

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
What were your concerns with that Mountain Designs tent if you don't mind me asking?

This is the tent I ordered: https://www.mountaindesigns.com/equipment/tents/expedition-tents/expedition-2-person-tent/BP90141975

Looked good on the internet with the pics BUT.....should have taken some ACTUAL pics - a bit like the difference between a shiny marketing pic of a Big Mac vs the real thing!

Very thin peg points on the outer fly, one of the main tent peg points had been stitched the wrong way around, shiny/flimsy looking poles, overall looseness of the overall structure when set up, thin/cheap looking tent material and poor looking stitching overall.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
This is the tent I ordered: https://www.mountaindesigns.com/equipment/tents/expedition-tents/expedition-2-person-tent/BP90141975

Looked good on the internet with the pics BUT.....should have taken some ACTUAL pics - a bit like the difference between a shiny marketing pic of a Big Mac vs the real thing!

Very thin peg points on the outer fly, one of the main tent peg points had been stitched the wrong way around, shiny/flimsy looking poles, overall looseness of the overall structure when set up, thin/cheap looking tent material and poor looking stitching overall.

Is Mountain Design. A step above Krapmandu.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I have paid for and ordered a new light 4 seasons tent for use this 2021/22 green season for bushwalking/surf camping and in 2022 for BC snow camping and ski touring.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass