Ah what is this!!!!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by DPS Driver, Jan 12, 2017.

1. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

2. JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Looks all the world to me like the tail end of a pair of skis.

?

nfip and Annitowa like this.
  3. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

How pure is pure carbon?

Perhaps it's “Next-level, vibration-tuned aerospace grade carbon ski construction melded with absolutely the finest supporting materials.”

#3 Marty_McSly, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    DPS Driver likes this.
  4. crackson

crackson Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Looks like a logo squat.

GM/Holden?

5. DPS Driver

Bingo!!!

Two years of alchemy in an effort to reduce the bio feedback of pure carbon fibre skis. Anyone who has skied a pure carbon fibre ski notices the difference in sound they make and the feedback into the boot. After skiing them for a bit you don't notice it but it's there none the less. Peter Turner and Stephan Drake have nutted it with an all new lamination and rearranging the way it sits to dramatically reduce the bio feedback of the ski.

Ski retailers who've been skiing them at the OR demo day were super impressed. This is another big leap forward.

6. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Nonsense, this is pure carbon

[​IMG]
    as is this

[​IMG]

Good looking skis but :p

7. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

What the hell is bio feedback?

8. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

It marketing speak for feeling tinny and chattery.

Doonks, nfip, DPS Driver and 3 others like this.
  9. gettingtooold

gettingtooold Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

It's blatant marketing. That is all.

Stiffler, piolet and Seth like this.
  10. Gumbo

Gumbo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Nah not really it has been a issue with carbon skis. Every one has a way to dampen a ski this is a new way and if it works fantastic.

Many people won't ski a pure or heavily carbon fibre ski because of this feel, I notice if I build a set of skis with a heap of carbon in them they fee this way, my fix has been to add more VDS rubber than I normally would. But if they can do it without adding another material layer or more of another material than well that's pretty sweet.

11. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Wot? Dis thread?

Telemark Phat likes this.
  12. DPS Driver

May be a bit of marketing but my motivation was more for those here who like to be ahead of the curve and like to know about new stuff before it gets to the ski wall.

There's also quite a few DPS nuts on this forum who like this stuff as well.

As far as the "blatant marketing" bit it's a no. Gumbo hit it on the head re carbon fibre.

Usually a ski company will let everyone know what their latest & greatest component is to sell this years new topsheet. In this case DPS aren't telling anyone because it really took a massive amount of variations and tests and rebuilds and discards to come up with this new set up. This is the true build a ski today ski test it tomorrow and assess the results. I know they went through so many iterations of this layup to get to where they are. They even held if back a year because they didn't have it dialled right last year.

As T Phat alluded, the feel of the carbon fibre has at times been a hinderance for some skiing on firmer snow. The "bio feedback" is the sensation and feel the ski gives into the boot /foot. when you come off a glass ski you notice it, when you ski them all the time you don't, so reducing that feedback has been a goal. They've done a great job from all reports.

nrcd likes this.
  13. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave Dedicated Member

Bring back the Brock polariser!

14. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

How is bio feedback different to just general feedback that any ski gives.

The 'bio' part is what makes it look and sound like marketing spin.

15. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

In gaming terms, bio means something totally different. When you keep saying bio feedback... :)

16. DPS Driver

May be a bit of marketing but my motivation was more for those here who like to be ahead of the curve and like to know about new stuff before it gets to the ski wall.

There's also quite a few DPS nuts on this forum who like this stuff as well.

As far as the "blatant marketing" bit it's a no. Gumbo hit it on the head re carbon fibre.

Usually a ski company will let everyone know what their latest & greatest component is to sell this years new topsheet. In this case DPS aren't telling anyone because it really took a massive amount of variations and tests and rebuilds and discards to come up with this new set up. This is the true build a ski today ski test it tomorrow and assess the results. I know they went through so many iterations of this layup to get to where they are. They even held if back a year because they didn't have it dialled right last year.

As T Phat alluded, the feel of the carbon fibre has at times been a hinderance for some skiing on firmer snow. The "bio feedback" is the sensation and feel the ski gives into the boot /foot. when you come off a glass ski you notice it, when you ski them all the time you don't, so reducing that feedback has been a goal. They've done a great job from all reports.

17. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Feedback is feedback is feedback.

Why did you post the same thing 40 minutes apart?!

18. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Bio means organic food in europe. Yum

19. DPS Driver

Yeah probably. The meaning is; that it's the feedback to the biological organism riding the ski. Maybe the term is a bit "markety" or maybe its the correct terminology for the message they're trying to convey in as few words as possible.

Semantics, does it matter?? I don't know.

20. DPS Driver

Because something is wrong with my forum site and it keeps scrolling. Not intentional. Sorry.

Seth likes this.
  21. Gumbo

Gumbo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

That was a massive crock yeah. But dampening material in skis is not. All skis contain different amounts of dampening material as I said above vds is the main material used to creat a damp ski, then core material is just as important. One of my first layups I left out the vds, skis still rode great unil I hit hard packed or chop then it was amazing the difference a .1mm layer of rubber over your edges does.

Most people ski the one ski for ages with no real comparison. Since building my own I have skied dozens of skis back to back to compare and its amazing what 1 mm off the core or a extra layer of carbon or even just a 3 gsm increase in carbon weight can do to a ski.

When I hear ski companies say they only had more minor changes to the core between seasons it amazes me because that slight change in the core can create a completely different ski.

As for the name given to it it is a marketing ploy but at the end of the day they all use it. How many different names are there now for hybrid camber snowboard.

Question @DPS Driver it this material going to be used in all dps skis, seems like a waste in the big powder planks as they will never really need dampening such as that.

22. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Ruptured ACL , MCL , shin bangs , skiers thumb....

Kletterer likes this.
  23. DPS Driver

Gumbo, it will be used in all "Pure" carbon fibre skis.

I use the word "Pure" in the DPS context which is the construction name of our top of the line carbon fibre laminate ski. Pures have no fibreglass laminates just carbon fibre laminates, core material & dampening layer. I don't know if you've ever tried to make a fully carbon fibre pair of skis or board, if you haven't, don't, as it will be a costly exercise because they will break. Hence the need for the fibreglass laminate to dampen and hold them together.

You are also spot on with your statement regarding how laminates sit within a ski, their width, thickness, orientation & composition all make significant changes to how a ski will ski. Yes we've found a new dampening layer or more appropriately vibration absorbsion layer but that alone wasn't good enough. A large part of the equation was in how we oriented, positioned and constructed those layers.

Re your quote on big powder planks, this is a rather prophetic use of words, it was the on piste ability of the ski that was the genesis with particular relevance to our narrower piste oriented Cassiar range. They've gone gang busters in the last 12-18 months and this will further enhance their on piste prowess. The aim was to help adjust some people's perception that DPS is just a big powder plank company.

24. DPS Driver

If you know what you're looking at, you might see something different in this Alchemist model W112 apart from the graphic.
    Face blanked out because he's a US Navy Seal. He liked these at a recent demo day for some reason. You don't want to lose these puppies in the pow, you'll never find them.
    [​IMG]

25. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Looking to transfer to the 10th mountain division?

DPS Driver likes this.
  26. Gumbo

Gumbo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

3D binding platform??? Not familiar with the std dps pure.

27. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave Dedicated Member

You mean damping like maybe a piezoelectric patch to absorb all the bad energy?

Piss takes aside, sometimes it's little changes that make something from ho hum to amazeballs.

28. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Blizzards Carbon Flipcore is the one to watch.

29. DPS Driver

Bingo.

30. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

K2 did that aaaagggges ago.

31. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook!
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

K2 anti-chatter energy dissipating LED of the 90s all over again. Merlin V.

They say the Stealth Bomber was designed on the back of it ;)

FatBoyDave likes this.
  32. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook!
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Snap!

33. Gumbo

Gumbo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Not all dampening is a con, all skis have built in dampening. As I said before vds is the most common and every ski has it. It's rediculously priced strip/roll of rubber. Cut up a old par of skis and you will see 5 to 30mm strip of rubber above the edge. Without it skis ride chattery. As @DPS Driver said above adding a heap of carbon magnifies this feeling. I have 3 sets of skis with same dimensions same amount of carbon just with no vds,vds10mm and vds 27mm and there is noticeable difference in the skis feel especially on hard pack.

Sidewall material can also have an effect as well, for this reason I use eurathane sidewalls on most of my skis and boards but with powder boards and skis I use bamboo sidewalls (same as my core) I do this as you don't need dampening in deep powder.

Red_switch likes this.
  34. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Gimme titanal

Telemark Phat likes this.
  35. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

The tighter the better!

:out:

36. piolet