1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Air Canada 23kg Max Weight

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Chillybin, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

Hi

Does Air Canada use common sense and allow over 23kgs if 2 bags are allowed? Not liking their website as it says charges from 24kg to 30....... all other airlines let you combine the weight providing it’s under the 32kg mark. We fly tomorrow.

Has anyone had any real world experience flying direct from Brisbane to Yvr?

2. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

It's not about common sense, It's a baggage handling issue. If the bag weighs more than 50 pounds (23kgs), it's subject to surcharges from the baggage handlers. It's nothing to do with the airline. It's to protect the health of the people handling your bags.

If flying economy, those surcharges are passed onto the traveler.

skiflat likes this.
  3. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Can you not reduce weight in one bag so you are under the 23kg limit? Shift a heavy item or three?

4. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

I’ve basically got nothing in there... I’ve got 2 pairs of skis. 1 pair of Bindings. Shifts so they’re lightish. Airbag, carbon poles and a shell jacket, pants and light down layer and I’m at 23..... lucky I can carry boots on free of charge.... but the stuff just floats around the bag now which isn’t to my liking as there is so much room

5. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

Not at all. The airline pays each airport to “handle” their clients baggage. IATA and tsa rules cover the bags to a maximum weight of 32kgs. Air Canada also have an extra bag at 24kgs....... I fully understand the health and safety. I was more concerned about people having real life experiences. I’ve travelled all around the world and not one airline has blinked at a bag that has weighed between 25-30kgs. I have also never seen on an airline website an extra charge for bags weighing between 24-32kgs that’s why I’m asking for people that have been there and done that.......

6. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly What a plonker. Ski Pass: Gold

My ski bag weighed 28kg at YVR coming home in March 2017. 2pr skis with bindings, 1pr boots, pants, parka and helmet. I was asked if I could transfer anything to my suitcase, but it was already bulging and 20kg anyway. So I wore the $100 excess baggage charge. Happily, because it was by far the cheapest way of getting the pair of Fischer Rangers I'd bought over there back home.

This was the Saturday of the first weekend of the BC spring break and the Air Canada flights to both Sydney and Brisbane were full to capacity. I've heard that other people travelling at less busy times have had over 23kg bags go through without anyone batting an eyelid.

gaz35, Chillybin and Jacko4650 like this.
  7. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

Cheers. I’m thinking out of Brisbane won’t be an issue and to be perfectly honest I’ve never had my bags weighed out of Vancouver ever. I’ll comply going there but coming home?

8. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Last time I flew Qantas to the USA we got hit with a “heavy” fee. Was under the total allowance but skibag was over 23kg.

Chillybin likes this.
  9. Marty_McSly

IIRC both my checked bags were weighed going to Canada (and were comfortably under). But then I started from Newcastle airport, with a Qantaslink Dash 4 to Brisbane.

Coming home my suitcase wasn't weighed at YVR, only my ski bag. I knew the weights though because I took a spring style luggage scale.

10. LMB

What does the airbag weigh?
    Can you put that in your other bag?

11. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

I’m on 23kg now but everything is swimming in the bag.... I’m considering having the wife use the airbag as carry on. Can’t remember the weight. 2.8kg. From memory. It’s packed now so I’ll wait until wife gets home from her volunteer work and see after all of her stuff is packed and weighed. At 25.9 everything was working nicely..... my douchebag big bastard struggles to weigh more than 18kgs... so distributing throughout my luggage doesn’t gain much. Musical luggage coming up, despite being at a guess 10-15kgs under weight

LMB likes this.
  12. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

I think the TSA might operate at 23kgs max based on your experience? That’s one reason I try and avoid the US. So much stricter on anything and none of it really makes sense. Thanks for the info

13. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I have been "mentioned" out of Kelowna - Sydney for my douchebag but the lovely girl waived it through with a "you may get charged in YVR". The douchebag was 24.7kg and longer than 158cms. My carry on with boots in was under weight.

You get 2 x 23kg each, which is a lot of luggage.

Move the shifts to the airbag as carry on and cinch up the ski bag.

Chillybin likes this.
  14. LMB

I see your dilemma - two sets of skis is the biggie isn’t it. 2 boards doesn’t generallly weigh as much. And padding it out is really quite necessary.

Bit of a dog act not allowing weight sharing between bag allocation and up to the 32kg limit.

Chillybin likes this.
  15. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Before she got all independent and travelled by herself the daughter and I had:
    • 2 sets of skis and helmets in a double Ski Tube. Under 23 kg
    • 2 pairs of boots and sundry other ski stuff in another bag. Under 23 kg.
    • A bag each for clothes. Each bag under 23 kg.

CJP likes this.
  16. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Wear the shell jacket and mid-layer onto the plane and put them in the overhead locker as soon as you board. Would that reduce the weight sufficiently?

Chillybin likes this.
  17. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

It’s not the weight that is the issue. It’s the fact they charge if you’re over 23kgs in a single bag. I usually go 25-28/30kgs in douchebag and 14-18kg in big bastard. All of my ski related gear is in the ski bag then. Room wise I don’t have the space in the big bastard. It looks like it’ll work out fine but god help us when the wife starts buying when she hits cross iron mills and sees the bargains that usually begin late Feb.........

dawooduck likes this.
  18. Legs Akimbo

I have a cunning plan. Move some of your ski related gear from the Douchebag to the "big bastard".

19. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

You can see the rationale about only allowing 23kgs but when industry wide sharing isn’t an issue, it creates uncertainty when carrying sports equipment and oversized gear. Oh well. I’m on holiday so I’ll just suck it up and smile. Like one mentioned above, they never had an issue. I think I’ve sorted it. Just going to be a lot of air in the bag

LMB likes this.
  20. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

If I put my ski boots on, surely I can click into skis also? And carry on.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  21. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I regularly get two pairs of skis, daypack, all my avy gear, helmet, sundry other ski things and some clothing to fill up the bag in my Douchebag and end up under 23kg.

zac150 and dawooduck like this.
  22. Hoodie

Hoodie Hard Yards

(50lb = 22.68kg)
    (23kg = 50.7lb)

I have weighed my bags before getting to the airport, all under (just) 23kg, and Air Canada nailed me because I was over 50lb... had to move things around (wear) things from 3 bags

Chillybin likes this.
  23. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

We just need more competition in direct flights to Vancouver....... thanks for the info.

24. Legs Akimbo

Most misleading I have had was at Nice in France. They had a set of scales before check in, so we weighed our bags. Surprisingly, we were well under so we swapped stuff out of our carry on to checked. The scales at check in said we were a few kg over. Emirates weren't fussed and didn't charge. I'm not sure who was wrong although any public measuring device is likely to be out of whack.

25. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I just did a bag with 2 skis (and two bindings) plus all my ski and other clothes for the trip at 23.8kg. No issue with overweight.

My ski boots and helmet go in carry on.

Chillybin likes this.
  26. Marty_McSly

I had the opposite experience at YVR. When my ski bag was overweight, the baggage check-in woman said that there would be no overweight fee if I could get it down to 23 point something. 23.99 would have been OK.

27. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

Yeah that’s the way I read it based on 5e 24-32kg extra charge. I’d assume they’d let it go to 23.99 as you have said. I’ve got 1 @ 23 1 @ 15.8 1 @ 20.3 and 1 @ 18.6 for 2 people with bugger all room left in the lighter ones and tons in the big ones........

28. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

This is one of the issues with the large double roller bags - 2 pairs of downhill skis and bits weigh a heap.
    I haven't used one for years but looking at packing one shortly ...

29. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Getting one without wheels will reduce weight and the wheels are kind of superfluous in airports

piolet likes this.
  30. piolet

Yeah
    I found the shoulder bag I was looking for (long enough) that's my preference. The double rollers sort of encourage you to fill em up and they get so heavy.
    But I need to transport 2x adult skis and 2x kids. At least the adults are light tourers

31. asammut_au

asammut_au Hard Yards

Flew air Canada last year to Vancouver. 3 ppl allowed 2 x 23 kgs each. We had 3 bag between 3 people with 20kgs, 21kgs and 23.8kgs. they asked us to shift 0.8kg from the overweight bag. we laughed and they said they were serious.

On the other hand I've also flown with air Canada with 24.5kg in a single bag with no issue.

32. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

In general nth American airlines and airport staff are fussy about the 50 lb rule, but very lax on size of carry on bags.

Astro66 likes this.
  33. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

We just packed a double roller with 2 x adult skis, 2x kids skis and 2xkids boot plus 3 sets poles =24.2kg. We are flying jetstar with 25kg bag weight and need to stay under 25kg for TakQbin in Japan. First time taking the ski bag overseas.

Marty_McSly and piolet like this.
  34. Hoodie

Hoodie Hard Yards

We have a soft padded double bag (with wheels) that easily fits 3 pairs of skies:

SKI BAG
    3.3 Ski bag
    4.4 Skis
    7.3 Skis
    4.8 Skis
    1.4 Poles 3 sets

For long haul flights we also bubble wrap the skies and poles. When we have what must be in the bag I then add little bits and pieces to make up the 23kg.

I should have said in my original post that the issue was isolated to YKA :)

35. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

That's 26kg on a Jetstar scale

36. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

Hope not!!! Thought allowing 800gram should allow for scale discrepancy. Worse case pull out a kids boot and carry on.

37. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

4 of us travelling here.

20kg - double wheelie ski bag (2 sets of adult skis + a few extras)
    8kg - small ski bag (2 sets of kids skis)
    20kg - clothes, 2×ski boots and helmet.
    22kg - clothes, 2xski boots, helmet.

Plus 4 carry ons. Never had an overweight charge in 27 years of skiing overseas.

dibl0c and Astro66 like this.
  38. LMB

How old are the kids?
    I didn’t get a weight charge until the little monsters were teenagers going off with Yennies in their pockets. It wasn’t until we were at Tokyo airport getting hit with huge overweight charges (huge in comparison to how over weight it was) that I knew it was a problem. We’d done the domestic leg without an issue, they’d packed their own bags, but had been way under coming over...
    Get home and unpack the bags - masses of Japanese shrapnel, rubbish, empty deodorants etc o_O

It’s never happened again LOL

39. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

12 and 9. The weight has crept up over the years as their skis and boots have got larger, but we've still got plenty to play with since the second ski bag is currently only 8kg.

I've also managed to reduce weight in some areas. No longer travel with my big heavy Sorels, instead I have a lighter Japanese boot and the kids also have super light Japanese snow boots. Cut back on all the camera gear and adapters, just use our phones and a 4xusb charger. Always looking for ways to reduce the weight a little more.

40. Astro66

Correct. And in Nth America, that payment is greater if the bag weighs more than 50 pound. This additional cost is passed on to you. If you are expecting the airline to absorb this cost, you will be sadly disappointed.

Quite often Business and 1st Class passengers can have 32kg bags. This is because the additional cost for the baggage has been factored into their ticket price.

My ticket is quite clear. If any bag weighs more than 23kg. I will be subject to an excess baggage charge. So I have distributed the weights evenly across all bags, including my ski bag. It's just not that hard to do. Like B2S I have never paid excess baggage.

My ticket also clearly defines that I'm allowed 12kg carry on. I have never been challenged on this, except by Fuji Airlines. Never Ever fly Fuji Airlines. You have been warned.

Chillybin likes this.
  41. LMB

Fiji Airlines or Fuji Dream Airlines?

Astro66 likes this.
  42. Astro66

Not giving them free advertising. ;)

43. LMB

Would it not be anti-advertising?
    You said don’t fly “this” airline - but I’m not sure if you misspelled Fiji or if you actually meant the little Japanese airline. Surely if we are meant to avoid it you’d clarify which one when asked?

44. Astro66

Never knew there was a Fuji Dream Airline. Hence I used Fuji instead of that Airline that I will never speak of again. :)

45. Marty_McSly

But, but, cheap flights LOL

Astro66 likes this.
  46. LMB

Right.
    So a deliberate misspelling of Fiji.
    Which just succeeded in confusing me and resulted in multiple useless posts that needn’t have been made. Got it. :thumbs:

Hoodie, dibl0c, Astro66 and 2 others like this.
  47. Astro66

So glad we got there. LOL

48. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Kava air?

dibl0c likes this.
  49. piolet

Packing the double roller, I don't have a scale. The missus is bringing back so much shit :eek:
    The adult skis aren't too bad, one without bindings the other light with dynafits. 2x kids skis and boots and junk. Hmmm some stuff I wantes to bring will remain I suspect

50. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

we do something very similar
    The problem becomes transporting 5 or 6 luggage pieces and 4 people
    I'm getting anxious as the boys grow up-and bigger