Air Canada manages to make Jet Star look good…

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
…there, i said it. Christ they’re incompetent. Will the plane be mechanically safe to take off? Who knows? It’s 50/50. what tf will they do when demand returns? If their best planes are only safe to run half the time, what’s the chances with the rest? Late takeoff? If the plane is actually functional, thats almost guaranteed. Which then leads to the next problem - too long a delay and it exceeds the maximum shift for pilots (even though they haven’t actually been flying ) so, again…flight cancelled. Oh and lost baggage. Ffs.

I heartily urge everyone if flying to Canada to skip Air Canada and use Qantas or some other carrier. And internally use someone else - SP folk indicated to me they have far more problems with AC than the other airlines. Yes there’s a touch of spite here but quite sincerely this is a PSA. Far and away the worst airline I’ve flown with. That includes JetStar.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Can I say …. “I told you so ….” ? LOL Welcome to the “I love Air Canada“ club!
Oh they really suck. It’s indescribable how bad they are. My daughter is saying “can we please not go back to Canada again?” Good work AC.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
OK. In a "normal" year.

Sydney to vancouver.
You have AC and QF direct?

Or you can go by Japan on ANA or JAL (6 hours longer)
Or Cathay?
Air NZ via Auckland looks ok.

piolet

Better make it three
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
…there, i said it. Christ they’re incompetent. Will the plane be mechanically safe to take off? Who knows? It’s 50/50. what tf will they do when demand returns? If their best planes are only safe to run half the time, what’s the chances with the rest? Late takeoff? If the plane is actually functional, thats almost guaranteed. Which then leads to the next problem - too long a delay and it exceeds the maximum shift for pilots (even though they haven’t actually been flying ) so, again…flight cancelled. Oh and lost baggage. Ffs.

I heartily urge everyone if flying to Canada to skip Air Canada and use Qantas or some other carrier. And internally use someone else - SP folk indicated to me they have far more problems with AC than the other airlines. Yes there’s a touch of spite here but quite sincerely this is a PSA. Far and away the worst airline I’ve flown with. That includes JetStar.
Flight and duty limits

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Stick

One of Us
Apr 11, 2016
I despise AC, but the thought of transiting through LA again also sends shivers down my spine. We fly Virgin, so Melb to Van direct does have some appeal.

Granted I also know that this comment will absolutely come back to haunt me..

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
My experience of flying in Canada (and North America generally) is that the weather is the factor that will stuff up your plans. Well above any vagary of a single airline. If you haven't included buffers in your itinerary you are naïve. If you get excited about delays you are too highly strung.

Reactions: whether and cqen2l

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
OK. In a "normal" year.

Sydney to vancouver.
You have AC and QF direct?

Or you can go by Japan on ANA or JAL (6 hours longer)
Or Cathay?
Air NZ via Auckland looks ok.

Air NZ via Auckland (from Sydney or Melbourne) was our preferred pre-pandemic routing (having tried CX via HKG and QF via LAX). The inbound to Oz stop in Auckland meant a shower and a chance to stretch legs. My Canadian +1 is not an Air Canada fan and pines for the days when Canadian Pacific still existed (before it was taken over by Air Canada)...

The long term survival of CX is currently not looking good, and it gets worse with each day passing.

chrisj

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Terrigal, Darkinjung country
I've flown plenty of shitty third world airlines in all sorts of conditions.

None of them has been remotely as bad as my Air Canada experience.

They should be stripped of their right to call themselves Air Canada, because that implies they have some sort of flagship status and reflects on the whole country.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
You‘re right. Do all your flying with AC. You deserve each other.

Shortest route direct flight at lowest cost ....

Squeeze in and relax with Anna Karen for entertainment or buy a better seat.

Bloke has a lovely ski holiday in a pandemic but ... goes for the populist whinge.

Everyone knows AC is budget travel.

Strayla ❤️

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Shortest route direct flight at lowest cost ....

Squeeze in and relax with Anna Karen for entertainment or buy a better seat.

Bloke has a lovely ski holiday in a pandemic but ... goes for the populist whinge.

Everyone knows AC is budget travel.

Strayla ❤️

Never flown them before. Never paid any attention to them before. Never again.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
My shortest flight involved 20 hours in Vancouver domestic terminal when their flight from Sydney arrived too late for their connecting Kamloops flight.

That would suck ....

Our first AC experience was .... "she ain't leaving Sydney today". The one and only bad experience in 9 trips to Calgary or Edmonton, Castlegar, Kelowna.

I spent too many hours in LAX to ever want to go near the place again. Even refused a connecting flight after two beers in the bar over 5hrs of waiting. "Sorry sir please wait another 4 hours" ....

Jet star to Japan via Cairns .... gulag standard. Seven years in Adelaide with countless Sydney Red Eye cancelled.

Cattle class air travel is basically so shite that whinging is a total waste of energy and especially on the way home from a ski trip.

Sit back and dream of those white turns, if it doesn’t crash ya winning.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Like many here I have flown many budget airlines... we have flown AC heaps over the years and yes we've had issues... we don't overly stress. It's cheap, direct, we build in buffers in all our itineraries, and avoid connects or short connections. When we have a complex flight we go with the full service airlines and if it's many many connections and time critical Business class is the way to do it You get what you pay for I guess. Even flying the bus of the ski United is 'interesting'

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
I flew with AC only once in 2007 - it was a direct flight from Munich (I think) to Vancouver - and it was perfectly fine back then. I had a terrible experience with border control/ lost bags in Vancouver on the way back (booked for Hawaii - Sydney); missed my flight as a result and had to go back via Japan. Fortunately, the insurance paid for that stuff up.

Reactions: Kash

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
We flew AC a few years back, no issues, we got there & back as did our kit.

My only memory of the airline was the aeroplane was old & looked it. Everything was worn & threadbare. But all stayed in formation during the flight so all good.

And the staff did better than some random airline (might have been BA) Hamburg to London who threw the bread rolls one by one to the staff member next to the row being served. Did better than the English 1st 11, no dropped catches so wasn’t all bad.

Last edited:

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
I think @sly_karma had a comment a few months back…
‘Air Canada- we’re not happy until you’re not happy’.
That said, from brisso, AC is our only direct flight option into Vancouver.
It’s worth running the gauntlet to avoid one more connector flight.
We will do that to simply save time and for $160 each one way , its acceptable. Anna might just need to be in First class Singapore or JAL to be happy.

Could it be that bad, or do folk here just want to protect there seats from the crowd>/?

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I can give a positive report of a AC flight.

Coming back to Sydney from Vancouver I ended up in the Maple Club >12 hours from the flight. Had many, many drinks. Quickest flight across the Pacific ever as I doze most of the way !

Otherwise, basically every single AC flight I’ve tried to get on ran behind schedule.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Remember back in the 70s when air travel was expensive and prestigious, and they had stewardesses rather than gender-neutral flight attendants? The airlines hired attractive young women and sent them to their in-house "charm school" for extensive training in grooming, deportment and attention to customer wants.

Well, those very same women are still stuck working at Air Canada because the super scheme is lousy they can't afford to retire. They're not very happy about it, and it shows...

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Could it be that bad, or do folk here just want to protect there seats from the crowd>/?
It can be that bad. It's a bit of a lottery.

I can't complain about my flights to and from in 2017. 787’s out of Brisbane are a lot newer than 777's out of Sydney.

Service was, well, budget standard. Not entirely unexpected.

Air travel is no longer the luxury it was in the 1950's or 60's. It's a commodity now, as commonplace as catching a bus or train.

If your expectations are more in line with taking the express from Parramatta to Central rather than the Queen Mary from New York to Southampton, you're less likely to be disappointed.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
We will do that to simply save time and for $160 each one way , its acceptable. Anna might just need to be in First class Singapore or JAL to be happy.

It’s really that bad.

Reactions: Reetro

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

I can't complain about my flights to and from in 2017. 787’s out of Brisbane are a lot newer than 777's out of Sydney.

Air travel is no longer the luxury it was in the 1950's or 60's. It's a commodity now, as commonplace as catching a bus or train.

If your expectations are more in line with taking the express from Parramatta to Central rather than the Queen Mary from New York to Southampton, you're less likely to be disappointed.
To be honest I couldn’t care less about the quality of in flight service although Air Canada is the worst I’ve experienced on that by some margin. My gripe is the regular inability to have aircraft available that are capable of taking off (x2), regular considerable delays (as in multiples of hours, not 10 or 15 mins here or there) without any attempt at apology or explanation, lost baggage with zero apparent t care, and a culture that puts themselves first, and passengers a distant last.

I had definitely got to the point where I did my bit turning up well before time to assist in a timely takeoff, fully expecting there was a better than 50% chance the flight would be postponed. A good result was a multi-hour delay. All associated as I say with a lack of effort or care from staff. Their shift had completed, we’d be told. Apparently we should have felt thankful anyone from Air Canada was there at all.

Truly awful. Almost beyond words awful. I’ve done my bit though and shared the warning.

In good news my daughter has revised her position from not wanting to go to Canada again at all, to “please god don’t make me fly Air Canada again”.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
We had a four hour delay leaving Vancouver which meant on arrival in Sydney we would miss our connecting flight.

As we land they called our name and advised us to make ourselves known at the counter as we left the plane, being at the back it took a while to leave the plane. As we got to the counter nobody was there, we waited 15 minutes and then left figuring we would sort the flights at the counter once out of customs.

Anyway the A/c lady questioned why we did make ourselves known, I explained the staff had left, very little sympathy. She then said we missed the flight so they had hired us a car to drive to Canberra as qantas didn’t have flights for a further 8 hours. At that stage we had been on the road for nearly 24 hours, I explained I was in no state to drive and it would be dangerous (there is a vague law on driving fatigued).

Anyway after a long argument they acknowledged we couldn’t drive so hired us a hotel room and a flight. It was a battle.

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe it's you people south of the border. :out::out::out:
Honestly, we've never had a problem coming out of Brisbane.
The fact we've got three coeliacs in the family takes the in flight experience out of it- we largely bring our own food.
So there is no experience.
Out of interest, perhaps @piolet would like to comment. What’s the inside word on AC.
Are we all whingers or is it a really a dud?

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I was on a Delta flight from LA to Van, and this charming flight attendant made a coffee for someone near me.

As the flight was commencing its landing, she came around to collect rubbish etc, and the guy chuckled with her that he hadnt actually drunk it.

And she very spitefully said to him, " oh that is perfectly alright that you didnt bother to drink the coffee that I had wasted my good time and effort making specially for you"

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Maybe it's you people south of the border. :out::out::out:
Honestly, we've never had a problem coming out of Brisbane.
The fact we've got three coeliacs in the family takes the in flight experience out of it- we largely bring our own food.
So there is no experience.
Out of interest, perhaps @piolet would like to comment. What’s the inside word on AC.
Are we all whingers or is it a really a dud?

Give it time you northerners may not get all the new planes when they re open all the routes….

Actually we have started to mark vego on the meal tickets as we tend to get better food.

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Interstingly I have found International AC to be excellent.

Have done all 3 direct routes Brissy, Sydney and Melbourne over the years and they have all be quite good. Maybe luck, maybe more attention to Int, the Dreamliner makes a difference also.

Internally around Canada, they are as bad as any airline ive flown. We ended up just flying Westjet internally and found them to be fine.

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
My gripe is the regular inability to have aircraft available that are capable of taking off (x2), regular considerable delays (as in multiples of hours, not 10 or 15 mins here or there) without any attempt at apology or explanation, lost baggage with zero apparent t care, and a culture that puts themselves first, and passengers a distant last.
A lottery, as I said.

My experience with the schedule was faultless. But as I said, I went via Brisbane, the Dreamliners were practically new and the weather was benign.

Your experience with delays is the worst that I can recall on this site. Old planes, coming out of mothballs after nearly 2 years. I'd be expecting issues, as I would with a car that hadn't been driven for the same period. Maybe the maintenance crew should have been more thorough?

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
. Maybe the maintenance crew should have been more thorough?
Yep.

Its as if 10 mins before scheduled departure they collectively said;

”Hey guys we have a full flight scheduled to depart in like 10 minutes eh? We ‘d better check this thing over.”

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017

Marty we save 4 or so hours and get to Vancouver , In fact for the $116 we can go to Calgary and work back to Vancouver , it costs no more.
If you know what you are getting , you still get there. The Brisbane flight came in and went out every day at lunch around the same time I walked in the city (back in the day) They start they say in October , lets see. I don't want to hub through LAX or SYd.
I think Anna wants the Queen Mary , which my grandfather took from New York to London in 1969, but he ... was SKI .. ing (spending Kids inheritance)
I agree 787 from Brisbane would be new aircraft.. lets see next year
Give it time you northerners may not get all the new planes when they re open all the routes….

Actually we have started to mark vego on the meal tickets as we tend to get better food.
Brisbane has always had the new aircraft , after all it will should be the second busiest port in oz...

Reactions: Roymond
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass