Air Canada or Westjet ( with Skis)

Copakid New

Hard Yards
Aug 28, 2006
God's Country - Central Coast
Ok, in final planning stages on trip to Sun Peaks. My partner and I will be flying Vancouver/ Kamloops/ LAX. We anticipate to buy 2 sets of skis and poles in Vancouver (Hire price > then buy price for 18 days skiing).

On Air Canada, first bag per person is free on Vancouver/Kamloops/Vancouver, but is payable on Vancouver to LAX. 2nd bag is payable

On Westjet, first bag per person is free on all legs. 2nd bag is payable

The 2nd bag will be the skis and poles. I an not fussed about the fees for second bag. What I ma worried about is the definitions used for the ski bag ie rigid, and 1 set of skis per bag etc

What are people's experiences flying with Air Canada and Westjet with 2 sets of skis, and also the over all experience of the 2 airlines

Thanks

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Not enough of a difference to overcome the value of being able to demo them first. The Canadian resorts don't price gouge like the Aussie ones do, because (a) their season is twice as long (more weeks to pay down rent and overheads), (b) and the locals would tell them to GGF if they did.

Remember a deal is comprised of more than just price. Service and convenience are part of it too. Overall value works out pretty good buying on mtn because of the demo factor. It's definitely a bad deal if you buy skis on recommendation or killer sale price and then find they're not suited to your style and size, or you don't like them much.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
H

Hacski

Copakid New said:
.... What I ma worried about is the definitions used for the ski bag ie rigid, and 1 set of skis per bag etc ....

What are people's experiences flying with Air Canada and Westjet with 2 sets of skis, and also the over all experience of the 2 airlines
Air Canada web site said:
One or more sets of skis (snow or water) carried together in the same container count as one piece of checked baggage. Skis and poles must be packed in a rigid and/or hard shell case specifically designed for shipping. *

<span style="font-size: 11pt">* If otherwise packaged, items may be refused for carriage. Air Canada is not liable if and to the extent that any damage results from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage. </span>
Never used Westjet but never had a problem on Air Canada with two sets of skis plus jackets and ski duds etc and other stuff as padding in the one soft bag. The wording does not refer to just one set of skis but one or more. With a soft ski bag I've never been refused carriage although I have always had to sign a release form since that regulation came into effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Another reason to buy local: the turbo prop aircraft used into Kamloops don't have much cargo space, the typical traveller most of the time is business travellers heading to and from Vancouver for meetings. Not unusual in winter for fully loaded planes to leave behind excess baggage for later flights to deal with. Several posters here have had that happen. You get the skis the next day but no one is happy about starting a trip without the skis they carefully chose and travelled with.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Nor for that reason.

If yor ski bag doesn't arrive with you on your flight, it gets sent up to you on the hill by the airline,.... At their cost.

H

Hacski

sly_karma said:
Another reason to buy local: the turbo prop aircraft used into Kamloops don't have much cargo space, the typical traveller most of the time is business travellers heading to and from Vancouver for meetings. Not unusual in winter for fully loaded planes to leave behind excess baggage for later flights to deal with. Several posters here have had that happen. You get the skis the next day but no one is happy about starting a trip without the skis they carefully chose and travelled with.
That happened last time to SP for me, well actually they were left behind in Seattle. But seeing AC gave me a voucher to rent skis till mine turned up at Cahility I wasn't perturbed. In the end was rather grateful as I decided to rent something different so asked the young guy in Elevation to suggest something and he pulled a set of Salomon Lords off the rack. It was like meeting MrsH all over again - just loved them. I was a bit disappointed when mine turned up that evening. But I bought myself a pair at home the following May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass