1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Air Canada PE YVR - MEL seating

Discussion in 'Flights' started by luvthabumps, Apr 10, 2018.

1. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    So we've booked our flights home in July after nearly 2 years living in YVR. AC had a good deal on one way PE seats so we decided to go with those and might see if we can bid for upgrades but if not just wondering whether anyone has experience with seating in this cabin.

There's only 3 rows and at the moment we've taken 12D,E,G,H primarily for a little extra legroom and not having anyone recline a seat in your face. Understand there are a couple of minor drawbacks as well - TV in armrest, not footrest, etc but does anyone have experience flying in this cabin / seats. FYI, I'm 6'3" and my 14yo is 6'0"

2. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Row 12 has much greater legroom than the other rows, and is definitely the best option for PE. The one drawback is there is not really anywhere to put things. There is a rack on the wall in front, but it is narrow, and doesn't fit a water bottle etc. However, there is so much room, you can just put things on the floor etc. I actually had my handbaggage there for half the trip rather than above. Maybe make sure you have a soft bag or plastic bag so you can put bits and pieces in that on the floor. Be aware that the there is a fold out baby bassinet in the middle row,

luvthabumps likes this.
  3. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I and OG1 had those seats just the two of us SYD-YVR after booking Y but after reading how squished that was under densification paid $1300 each to upgrade one way on checkin (Came back in row 18 just behind PE and vowed never again). Quite good but not a whole lot better than the old pre-densification Y had been.

Front row of PE seems best in most airlines because other rows are significantly impacted by recliners. On that flight back saw a typical recliner scenario who had their seat back in the face of the person behind them all the while leaning forward to eàt their meal and the person on the window behind had to do the climb across their seat neighour thing.

However Air Canada's implementation of PE falls a long way short of say Qantas where for example you have a flight attendent or two just for PE and depending on configuration can use lavatory at back of J (say on B747N) rather than having to go down back and queue up. Also Canada has same overworked crew who have to cope with Y and the stess of that shows when they are starting the economy service at row 12.

But yes given you are on it then front row is best.

luvthabumps likes this.
  4. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Think "old school economy", slightly more generous pen.

Why are you coming home, nothing's changed except PVC Windows are now a thing :p

5. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    Our time is done, new adventures to embark on........ (although tbh I'd happily stay ;) )

6. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

CM will need a baby sitter ....

7. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

LTB, I can't help with AC PE (never flown it), but looking forward to hearing about your YVR adventures (ahead of my own starting in 377 days (not that I'm counting))!

luvthabumps likes this.