Air Canada - Skis as a 2nd bag?

Choppers

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2009
Has AC recently changed their 2nd bag policy?

Pretty sure I paid nothing for a 2nd bag which was skis…But this was a couple of years ago?

It was one of the only advantages of flying with them along with direct YVR flights…..

Reactions: Jacko4650

bigwhite-rameok

Addicted
Aug 29, 2003
Kelowna, BC, Canada
I think it depends where you are flying from. Have a read here at the Ski & Snowboard section. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/baggage/special-items.html. If flying from Europe, Middle East or Africa, it appears that it is included.
1634656954274.png

If you are coming from elsewhere, I think it is counted.

1634657248325.png

Reactions: Choppers

Crawf

Addicted
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne
Has AC recently changed their 2nd bag policy?

Pretty sure I paid nothing for a 2nd bag which was skis…But this was a couple of years ago?

It was one of the only advantages of flying with them along with direct YVR flights…..
Yes, they have changed the policy. The majority of airlines did this last year. They snuck it through when nobody was travelling. Essentially a profit grab. I think most airlines went from 2 x 23kg bags to 1 x 32kg (but i'd double check AC weight limit).
I think Qantas were one of the first to announce it, however you do get the second bag with Qantas if you are Silver or greater.

Reactions: Choppers

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Non-flight revenue like fees for checked bags or itinerary changes are straight up profit. A lot less risk there than flight ops in the pandemic recovery, not many full flights out there yet.

Crawf

Addicted
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne
Yes, they have changed the policy. The majority of airlines did this last year. They snuck it through when nobody was travelling. Essentially a profit grab. I think most airlines went from 2 x 23kg bags to 1 x 32kg (but i'd double check AC weight limit).
I think Qantas were one of the first to announce it, however you do get the second bag with Qantas if you are Silver or greater.

AC is 1 x 23kg bag, however sports gear such as skis or golf clubs won't be charged as oversize.
An additional bag cost $100 CAD one way.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
AC is 1 x 23kg bag, however sports gear such as skis or golf clubs won't be charged as oversize.
Just as well the fare from Brisbane one way is only 150$AUD

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Are you saying that the flight from Brisbane to Vancouver is only $150? I hope not as I am starting to feel a little sick given how much more I paid!
Yes , through virgin with 41000pts =$150 taxes. But they plan to start the sector in November 2022. Don't feel too bad, you are going skiing!!

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
Yes , through virgin with 41000pts =$150 taxes. But they plan to start the sector in November 2022. Don't feel too bad, you are going skiing!!
Actually I am wrong, its $110 to Vancouver or Calgary

Reactions: snowgum

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
So a ski bag from Brisbane to Vancouver is $100 .. They dont care if its multi ski /board with boots etc ... As long as it comes in under the weight .. say 16kg

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Just discovered this thread .... as posted elsewhere, I too have discovered that Air Canada have a more restrictive baggage limit now. 1 x 23kg bag per person and that's it. The ski bag (with 3 sets of skis and poles for my boys and myself) is a cosy $100 extra each way (CAD or USD). Bastards.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Fly Air NZ...baggage has not changed

For Economy fares departing Australia to the USA (excluding Honolulu), South America, and Canada, the baggage allowance is two checked bags

Reactions: MisterMxyzptlk

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Fly Air NZ...baggage has not changed

For Economy fares departing Australia to the USA (excluding Honolulu), South America, and Canada, the baggage allowance is two checked bags
Tempting if I lived in Sydney or Melbourne and was terminating in Vancouver. As it is I have two connecting flights to catch; three flights in total: going Air NZ would be a nightmare: Canberra- Syd/Melb - Auckland - Vancouver (change airline with luggage) - Kelowna. And I don’t sleep on planes :eek: . So I’ll just have to suck it up with AC …

Reactions: Crystal

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
Tempting if I lived in Sydney or Melbourne and was terminating in Vancouver. As it is I have two connecting flights to catch; three flights in total: going Air NZ would be a nightmare: Canberra- Syd/Melb - Auckland - Vancouver (change airline with luggage) - Kelowna. And I don’t sleep on planes :eek: . So I’ll just have to suck it up with AC …
Yes we will too. Just booked the flight home on frequents In February. I would suggest at $218.04 fare that paying $100 CAD for a ski bag is acceptable

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
For those who booked using QF points, roughly how many for SYD YVR return? Contemplating options, and swapping points from my existing platform to BA Avios points is one possibility.

Hoodie

Hard Yards
Jan 4, 2018
For those who booked using QF points, roughly how many for SYD YVR return? Contemplating options, and swapping points from my existing platform to BA Avios points is one possibility.
Booking on Qantas a JAL Business flight MEL to YVR was 159,000 QF points.

Reactions: sly_karma

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
bne to vyr was 42,000 points each way + $240 in taxes

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Seems a lot better than what I saw on QF website, more in line with what I was expecting.
You need to be aware there are 2x ways to buy fares with qantas points. Classic rewards points, which are good value. Pretty hard to find for business, but not too bad for economy. The points quoted above are consistent with classic rewards. The other way is just a standard points, which is often 5x more than classic rewards. That could well be what,you have been looking at. Make sure you are looking for classic rewards

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Ah ok. So if I convert my Avion points (from my Canadian credit card) to BA points, how will Qantas recognize those, classic or standard? Probably moot anyway because the point of this entire line of inquiry was to buy a seat in business class. Avion is good in that it offers travel rewards on any airline, but strictly economy only.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Hoodie

Hard Yards
Jan 4, 2018
Ah ok. So if I convert my Avion points (from my Canadian credit card) to BA points, how will Qantas recognize those, classic or standard? Probably moot anyway because the point of this entire line of inquiry was to buy a seat in business class. Avion is good in that it offers travel rewards on any airline, but strictly economy only.
Business on a Qantas plane SYD to YVR when I went in March was 108,400 each way (unless you are very high status these seats are very rare), I was lucky because I booked last October in the midst of COVID.

jgm

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2000
Geelong, Vic, Australia
If you want to use BA points for QF flights, you can ONLY do that through BA. ie you will have to find award seats available on the BA site - you can't transfer them to Qantas or book QF awards through the QF site. Qantas does NOT recognise BA points.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass