Air Canada to Restart Australia Flights but only for Fully Vaccinated Passengers

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
$3500 return would make it a costly ski trip. Think i will wait a little longer.
I know that round trip flights to North America from Japan are often 2-3x as expensive right now, compared to flights out of North America.
e.g.
Japan > USA > Japan ~$1600 USD
USA > Japan > USA ~$600 USD

I ended up booking TWO round trip flights:
1. July to December, Japan > USA > Japan ~$1600 USD
2. August to October, USA > Japan > USA ~$600 USD

My ACTUAL trips have been:
1. July to August, Japan > USA > Japan
2. October to December, Japan > USA > Japan

Average for each trip is $1100 USD.

If you can work out a similar long term strategy with Australia > Canada > Austalia, you can save money.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I know that round trip flights to North America from Japan are often 2-3x as expensive right now, compared to flights out of North America.
e.g.

If you can work out a similar long term strategy with Australia > Canada > Austalia, you can save money.
Yup. A bunch of travel Vlogs I follow have been saying the same.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
e.g.

But direct

Has value for many. Gouge not unexpected rn either...

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
The dates used in the example would include a Christmas stay, so a more premium price. I wonder what they'd be charging for late January through February.
Certainly more than the pre Covid but maybe not the horrendous $3500.
The flights are live

I plugged in the dates you suggested above. $A2261, cheapest economy option, which is pretty reasonable, all things considered

1801D303-083C-4BD0-9B10-95E486608AAD.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Our trips have always been around the $2k a trip but that was always around christmas

gouge may be an unfair term - perhaps they are just looking to recover some of the monumental losses they have accrued over the last few years

Agreed, on one side they are playing on the desperate we want to go flying now group but on the other side I’m guessing they are assuming they won’t fill the planes.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Our trips have always been around the $2k a trip but that was always around christmas

Agreed, on one side they are playing on the desperate we want to go flying now group but on the other side I’m guessing they are assuming they won’t fill the planes.
Not many full service fares are filling aircraft at the moment. With the exception of ex USA.
However LCC are going bonkers.
This is due to many of the full service perks have been removed due to covid restrictions.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Not many full service fares are filling aircraft at the moment. With the exception of ex USA.
However LCC are going bonkers.
This is due to many of the full service perks have been removed due to covid restrictions.
I would class Air Canada as an LCC and that doesn’t change the fact that the first round of flights out of Australia will be higher $$ due to uncertainty of uptake.

What is happening with LCC carriers around the world isn’t guaranteed for Australia, our messaging will create uncertainty if not in the mind of flyers but at board room level. Let’s face it, Qantas have been fighting this narrative for months.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I would class Air Canada as an LCC and that doesn’t change the fact that the first round of flights out of Australia will be higher $$ due to uncertainty of uptake.

What is happening with LCC carriers around the world isn’t guaranteed for Australia, our messaging will create uncertainty if not in the mind of flyers but at board room level. Let’s face it, Qantas have been fighting this narrative for months.
AC is a full service airline. They are especially trying to position themselves as such. However their covid flying experience is being canned online.
Delta and United are experiencing similar push back.
Value for money is poor.

Reactions: sli1 and Annabuzzy

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
AC might pretend to be full service on long haul but all the local flights we took (San Fran to Van and Van to LA) they were LCC. No food, luggage was extra so everyone took bags onto the plan = no overhead space.

Either way they are uncertain of uptake so covering costs

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
I managed to get an Air Canada SYD-YVR return for $1300 in Feb. 2019.

That was the typical range when I was watching prices daily in 2016. Maybe a little under 2K for my dates, late Jan and early March 2017, 1700-1800 when not on sale, 1300 if you played chicken with the sales.

I'd regard 2200 as not bad in the current climate. I was expecting long haul fares (UK, USA) to come in at about 3K when flights got going again.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth

Might see pricing drop as the flights get closer and if the seats aren’t selling

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
AC is a full service airline. They are especially trying to position themselves as such. However their covid flying experience is being canned online.
Delta and United are experiencing similar push back.
Value for money is poor.
I have no complaints at all about the flying experience on Delta. It's full service internationally, and if anything, it's better because there are so few people. You can take 3 or 4 seats for a sleep (I've been flying Delta Comfort+, which is main cabin but with 10cm of extra leg room over Premium Economy because you can lift the arm rests and lay down). Quick to get off the flights, no delays with landing since there are less aircraft in the air. (in fact most international flights are arriving early).
Value for money has not been as good, except for flights out of the US. (as I mentioned above).
But I see round trip flights from US > Japan next year for a bit over $800 USD (Delta & American), and Japan > US under $1000 (Cathay).

However, domestic flight ARE good value for money. They seem to be CHEAPER now for domestic flights on many routes. (Round trip flights LAX <>JFK for less than $300)

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
In the last month or so I keep finding myself in book stores flicking through lonely planet guides, dreaming of overseas travel! A month ago it was mainly Ireland books, last week BC/Alberta again. Have a hunch getting there might be a good chance this time next year...with Q or AirNZ, not AC !

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
How much to charge and when etc mixed with various inter airline agreements, loyalty and God knows what else
So it’s a pricing game

This is what I meant, early on they will look to cover costs based on expected take up of seats, once the flight starts to fill they may play with pricing to maximise the profit on that flight.

Reactions: piolet

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
So it’s a pricing game

This is what I meant, early on they will look to cover costs based on expected take up of seats, once the flight starts to fill they may play with pricing to maximise the profit on that flight.
The US airlines did the opposite a few months back. They had round trip flights to Japan for less than $300 USD. (Any time between Dec - March 2022)

Reactions: gareth_oau

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Me three

The US airlines did the opposite a few months back. They had round trip flights to Japan for less than $300 USD. (Any time between Dec - March 2022)
doesn’t surprise me, in fact AC pricing does surprise me.

In today’s age of social media, I thought Airlines would go with cheaper pricing and encourage travel again, then rely on the jealousy factor of social media to fuel further travel.

AC model is clearly reliant on people desperate to go skiing so charge the first to put up their hand more

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
So it’s a pricing game

Yeah, maybe? I seriously don't know. A bit of lots of things - can't price up as you need to be tempting too, will they have higher crewing costs due to covid stuff... Or maybe the boss sets a few on the vibe

Also, seats may end up being quite exclusive

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Must be a lot of discussion and think tanking at AC about who their customers will be in years to come. They were squarely on top of the business travel market while Westjet focused mainly on leisure travel.

Seems likely that business travel will never fully return to its pre covid volume, or at least the rebound will be very slow. AC has a strong regional business (where, as others have noted, they are distinctly LCC), driven in part by mandated minumum service agreements that were conditions of the mergers in the 90s that created the AC of today. But how to replace the missing business travelers, domestically and internationally? The pie is not as large as it used to be.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Must be a lot of discussion and think tanking at AC about who their customers will be in years to come. They were squarely on top of the business travel market while Westjet focused mainly on leisure travel.

Seems likely that business travel will never fully return to its pre covid volume, or at least the rebound will be very slow. AC has a strong regional business (where, as others have noted, they are distinctly LCC), driven in part by mandated minumum service agreements that were conditions of the mergers in the 90s that created the AC of today. But how to replace the missing business travelers, domestically and internationally? The pie is not as large as it used to be.
And here in lies the issue with AC and their management of the business pre Covid.

they were the business carrier by default and let the protections of borders hide issues with performance. They need a culture change.

the weirdest thing I found with AC is Canada is one of the most friendly countries and I’ve never experienced that on an AC flight.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
They're sitting on a huge pile of Justin Bucks so they probably won't bother with any thoughts of culture change until money runs short. I suspect the bailouts over the years are part of their don't give a feck mentality. "Too big to fail" isn't a self identity that lends itself to introspection and change.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass