1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Airbnb finally legal !

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Born2ski, Aug 11, 2017.

1. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Well on Airbnb from now on it must have either a hotel license or a JTA number for home sharing.

In the past Booking.com would not list you unless you supplied your hotel license.

2. skichanger

So far as I am aware, from being listed there, airbnb did not require proof of the required paper work. From memory there was a statement saying that there may be local regulations you need to meet.

3. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

And they've just added another layer

So if you are not listed as being resident in Japan you can't rent your property out EVEN IF you have an accommodation licence!

4. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Whoooaaaa! Shit is serious now!

5. NeoSamurai

NeoSamurai One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Just had 2 colleagues on seperate trips to Japan return this week (1x2nd trip 1x3rd trip) and both said on this trip many of the resident-owners of the AirBnBs were basically hostile towards them and also flyers posted throughout the building with things like: 'No AirBnB!' and 'AirBnB OUT!' and 'AirBNB Guest NOT welcome here!!!' Looks like a change is definitely on the way for AirBnB Japan... Resident-Owners have had a gut full.

6. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I think what it says is you cant self manage the property yourself if you are a non-resident
    If you are using a japanese property manager , then they "are the host".
    In a way it destroys the airbnb model for non residents, as they are better of just using a local property manager

7. NeoSamurai

NeoSamurai One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Once the majority of building residents/owners are against you and the customer surely things are not going to end up well? Don't the new rules for most districts require approval of the majority of the building owners/residents to operate?
    (I don't know)

8. Billy_Buttons

NSW has just implemented this rule. Body corporates can pass by-laws banning owners from holiday lets. So it should be. Imagine having your home complex filled endlessly with drunken sailors!

9. skichanger

Do you know if this applies to community title properties as well? There is one place listing on airbnb in my community title estate. If it does apply I might need some popcorn.

10. skichanger

This just arrives in my inbox:
    [​IMG]

Dear xxxx,

We’ve recently been in touch about the new home sharing law that goes into effect on June 15th. Not only are we here to help you register, we’d like to take this moment to explain what’s happened to date.

First and foremost, we’re sorry. We know this has caused you–and so many hosts across Japan–a great deal of inconvenience.

Here’s what happened

On June 1st, the Japanese government suddenly announced that any host without a notification number needs to cancel upcoming reservations—even if they are actively involved in the notification process. This was contrary to the guidance we’d previously been given by the Japanese Tourism Agency (JTA).

We’ve worked tirelessly to find a solution that worked for all parties, but unfortunately were unable to find a suitable compromise with the JTA. This resulted in us having to cancel thousands of reservations across Japan. Of course, this has created a great deal of anxiety amongst both guests and hosts.

A heartfelt apology

We care deeply about everyone in our community, and we’re truly sorry that you’ve had to deal with this situation. We want you to know that we are doing everything in our power to support you.

Together we hosted nearly 6 million guests last year in Japan. Your exceptional hospitality has ensured that guests experience the best that Japan has to offer, and we hope you’re able to continue on your hosting journey with us.

We’re here to provide you with registration support and guidance. Today, Nathan Blecharczyk, one of our founders, is in Tokyo announcing a world first initiative called Airbnb Partners. This is an alliance with nearly 40 Japanese businesses across a wide array of industries aimed at helping hosts register and become more successful. We’ll also continue working with the Japanese government to find new solutions to make registering easier.

Thank you again for your understanding and efforts during this time. As a small gesture of our gratitude, in the next few days we’ll be sending you a ¥10,000 travel credit to be used for a future trip anywhere in the world.

Please visit our FAQ for resources to help you with the registration process. You can also read more about everything we’re doing to support the broader community in our blog.

Sincerely,
    Airbnb Support for Japan

Sent with ♥ from Airbnb

‌A‌i‌r‌b‌n‌b‌,‌ ‌I‌n‌c‌.‌,‌ ‌8‌8‌8‌ ‌B‌r‌a‌n‌n‌a‌n‌ ‌S‌t‌,‌ ‌S‌a‌n‌ ‌F‌r‌a‌n‌c‌i‌s‌c‌o‌,‌ ‌C‌A‌ ‌9‌4‌1‌0‌3‌

Unsubscribe

11. SnowFlow

SnowFlow Hard Yards

So this saying all Airbnb listings in Japan are being removed?

12. Mufts

Mufts Potato Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, unless....

SnowFlow likes this.
  13. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for posting Skichanger. Looks like RIP to Japanese AirBnB

JoeKing likes this.
  14. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Some interesting numbers.

"Lehane emphasized the company's strong position in the Japanese tourism industry. He said 54% of Australians coming to Japan used Airbnb, 46% of French, and nearly a third of U.K. and U.S. travelers. He stressed the company's economic contribution to Japan, saying Airbnb hosts bring in 65 billion yen per year."
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Airbnb-executive-puzzled-by-Japan-s-demand-to-cancel-bookings

All the accommodation we stayed in this year was listed on Airbnb and four out of five of our trips to Japan have involved some Airbnb accommodation.

15. Billy_Buttons

If it is strata title, I would imagine it's the same.

16. M_G

I got that letter too.

¥10,000 travel credit! Woohoo! Better book me one of those party houses...

Looks like councils in SA have started a crackdown too judging by news reports over the last couple of days.

17. skichanger

mmm no. Community title is similar to straa but under sifferent legislation. It is like flat strata where every property is torrens title but covered by a neighbourhood association that owns roads, community facilities etc. Think gated estates.

18. skichanger

And today we received this from Trip Advisor:
    Tourist licence information is now required

Hi Nora,

The authorities in Japan now require vacation rental listings in the region to display tourist licence information. Listings that don’t have complete information have been deactivated. This will not affect any existing bookings, but no new bookings can be made.

To get your listing(s) back online, you need to add tourist licence information for all your properties in Japan as soon as possible. Don’t worry – it’s quick and easy to do in your dashboard. Simply go to My Listings, select Property details and enter your licence number.

19. Billy_Buttons

Are you pissed off yet?

20. skichanger

No. amused more than anything else. I have hotel licenses so once I inform the various booking engines about that I will be fine. The win for me is that all the illegal operators will be gone.

Billy_Buttons likes this.
  21. Billy_Buttons

Hopefully you can get it all done and dusted so that you can take bookings again ASAP. Best of luck!:thumbs:

22. skichanger

Thanks. I can still take bookings via lots of other pathways. And most Airbnb stuff comes in quite close to the season so lots of time to get that sorted.

Billy_Buttons likes this.
  23. M_G

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-did-japan-suddenly-kill-thousands-of-airbnb-reservations?

“I had a lovely trip planned on July 19 and while I appreciate the refund and the extra $100 voucher, finding another place to stay has been a real hassle,” Doutreleau said. “For the moment, I used booking.com to get a place, but it is a real shame that Japan has basically ruined the bnb experience for many hosts and the guests.”

Booking.com is a hassle? Sheesh. Plus she had to sink to staying in real accommodation. She could maybe even try staying in a lovely minshuku with elderly owners that will fuss over her like a lost grand-daughter. But nah, wouldn't want to ruin that bnb experience.

24. Born2ski

The problem I find with a lot of the "real" accommodation in Japan(commercial hotels/properties) is it's not suitable for families or long stays. Most of the hotel accommodation is designed for 2-3 nights with 1-2 guests in a room. Trying to find a hotel that can fit 4-5 family members in a room can be a real challenge, even in a city as big as Tokyo. Often you have to split the family up or squeeze into a midget 4mx4m room where everybody has to sleep on top of one another, which might be OK for 2-3 nights but try 7+ nights and it becomes less than a relaxing holiday.

That's one of the reasons the likes of Airbnb have become so popular, they provide a product that you often can't get in "real" commercial accommodation.

25. skichanger

I think that is not really the case in many of the better know (to westerners) ski resorts. It may be the case in major cities, but are you staying there for that long?

26. Born2ski

Sure Niseko has lots of new apartment accommodation but many of the other resorts have limited accommodation for families. As for the cities, I've had short stays (1-2 nights) crammed into small Tokyo hotel rooms but we've also had more relaxing 5 night stays in larger Airbnb apartments.

The other thing I find strange, is that in many areas of Japan they have lots of vacant apartments just sitting there, often slowly decaying, but they don't want to rent them out for short term accommodation. Yuzawa and Naeba are prime examples where you have heaps of vacant apartments, but you're not allowed to rent them. You can buy them for as little as $1000(plus tax),but you can't rent them for $1000 a week. Such a bizarre waste of resources for a country that has been struggling economically for decades. :(

27. skichanger

There are some things that the Japanese think is normal that we find a bit weird. Room sizes is one. After being in Tokyo lots of people find the rooms at Chalet Myoko big. They aren't really and are comparable with the rooms in the club lodges we stay in.

But some of this you need to put in perspective wrt the lifestyle differences. The Japanese boy who came to stay with us a few times over winter lived in a house with his siblings, his parents and his grandparents. He was very pleased to have his own bedroom when he stayed with us.

Also the Japanese only get 10 days annual leave but there are lots of public holidays. So they go away for weekends rather than long holidays.

WRT the vacant apartments, the equivalent of strata rules stop many of them being let out for short term lettings. We looked at a place in Shin Akakura and decided against it because we could not rent it out. And a trap for ignorant buyers is special levies due on some of the places for work that needs to be done. Also some of those places have quite high strata fees. I am sure there are bargains for the informed and those that can manage to negotiate the "minefield".

And I am sure there is way more to this than I know about.

28. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

The fact that to list on AirBnB in Japan now you have to have a licence is great for guests and legit hosts. When people book now that can be sure the property complies with all relevant laws including fire safety which has not always been the case. For my mind this removes a lot of dodgy places from the market place which were listed but are not any more reducing the chances of guests having a bad holiday.

skichanger likes this.
  29. skichanger

So today I received an email from airbnb telling me they had delisted all my listings because they did not meet the government requirements. Yep already knew they had le-listed them. But they do actually meet the government requirements. And I have done everything asked of me by airbnb. They have been supplied with my hotel licenses at least 6 times and there is a photo associated with every listing I have. Sigh painful!

Soon to reach the point where I give up and don't play with airbnb anymore. Like hitting your head against a brick wall - so good when you stop!

30. M_G

They allowed one room of ours to go through but not others. It's bizarre. I've just given up.

31. Billy_Buttons

Sorry to hear folks! Give it up! Airbnb should and will die soon enough. I noticed that on Australian listings that owners are now obliged to give free cancellation's!!! See...they think they own your property!

32. skichanger

I had one room show up as being ok and then the next page I went to barred it again. Ahhgg! It has been such a waste of my time.

33. Born2ski

I've noticed a number of listings in Japan that have dropped off Airbnb but turned up on other websites. And some of them are commercial operators, not just a single room.

34. skichanger

Airbnb phoned me today. Was someone in Tokyo who is helping places get the JTA registrations for homestays. Since this does not apply to me they could not help. They gave me a freecall number but the people there only speak Japanese and told my carpenter to get me to call a USA number. There are no other options.

Put in another support ticket after that. It has been closed without even replying to me. Wonderful! So if you are booking via Airbnb would you have confidence in them helping you if you had a problem?

35. skichanger

Which other sites? I obviously need to go and list on them and give up on airbnb.

36. Born2ski

Booking.com
    Homeaway.com
    travelmob.com

And a number of others have set up Facebook pages that link through to their own website built using wixhotels.com

Booking.com and Airbnb still seem to be the big boys but some of the other players are starting to gain traction.

skichanger likes this.
  37. skichanger

Thanks.

With the way they are behaving Airbnb will be a complete non-entity in Japan soon. They are not helping themselves by refusing to list places that can legitimately be listed. From what I am hearing there are some very angry people out there. But some of them only have themselves to blame because they did not do adequate research.

38. TJ

TJ One of Us

We have chosen to not list any rooms on any of the engines until later in the year. Thankfully confident we can fill up with our regulars. I think there will need to be an alternative to airbnb though to keep up with the demands on the tourism growth throughout Japan. We have a room listed with them but have only ever had a few inquiries.(high end) Their new cancellation policy will send them even further out to sea from the accoms perspective. In the land of earthquakes it was only a matter of time before a lot of places were shut down and so should be. There is a big difference in the safety aspect between hotels and random rooms in residential apartment blocks.

M_G and skichanger like this.
  39. KL.

KL. One of Us

all interesting