1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Travel Life Aizu Deals 2019/2020 Season

Discussion in 'Japan' started by ocker, May 26, 2019.

1. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

The tourism board in the Aizu area of Fukushima Prefecture is promoting the areas 22 ski resorts to attract more foreign skiers. Particularly they trying to get skiers on the lifts during the almost deserted mid-week days. This year they were offering free lift tickets to foreigners in the 19 to 24 age group and other foreign skiers tickets for 3,500 Yen per day. So far they are not promoting this deal for 2019/2020 season.
    However through WAmazing Snow they were offering very cheap resort and lift packages at the Melbourne and Sydney snow travel expo. It was 5 nights accommodation plus 6 days multi-resort lift pass for AUD 299 per person twin share. The packages were offered at 5 different resorts with the ski pass valid for 22 resorts. Supposedly only 50 packages were available, but I am not sure how accurate that limit is. Three of the resort packages were only available if booked at the expo but you could book the deals at Inawashiro and Bandaisan Onsen on line.
    The packages are for accommodation 5 nights Monday to Friday nights and skiing Monday to Saturday. When I said to them at the Melbourne expo that I wanted more days to make worthwhile the flight to Japan they suggested I book two Mon to Sat packages in subsequent weeks. So I booked Inawashiro Jan 6 to 11 and Bandaisan Onsen Jan 13 to 18 with the Saturday and Sunday nights in between at Koriyama just one hour away from both resorts by train. I will have a rest day on the Sunday sightseeing in the area.
    Because it is a twin share deal I had to pay for two people. Maybe I can get someone to come with me on those dates between now and January otherwise I figure at $600 for 6 days skiing it is still a really good deal. If I go by myself I will end up with 2 sets of breakfast vouchers and two 6 day lift tickets. Maybe I can off load the second lift pass to someone else if I am lucky.
    It looks like you can still get the deal on line even though the expo is over the link is http://bit.ly/2vk6y2A or https://www.wamazing.com/snow/page/...tm_campaign=snowtravelexpo&utm_content=190519

#1 ocker, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  2. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Link didn’t work

3. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Didn't work for me either.

Anything that gets foreign tourists off the beaten track and into the less visited small resorts is a great thing IMO.

FWIW I have great memories of accidentally ending up in some small arse Aizu town at the end of their annual summer festival. Some locals on a street corner sat me down and filled me with booze and food before I staggered off to sleep on a bench at the one platform local station.

4. skipperlee

skipperlee Hard Yards

there was some deal somewhere on a aussie ski website for $529 aus pp 6 nights accom b&b, 5 days lift pass at different hills and transfers between ski hills/hotels and bus from tokyo. great if there is 2 of you but as a solo traveller it was nearly double at $1028. love aizu and will be there in 2020 at some point but ill find my own way. check aizuski.jp for deals/info

M_G likes this.
  5. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

If you copy and paste it does work . Do not understand why when clicking on it tries to go to Youtube. I have also added the full URL

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  6. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

I fixed the problem with the link.

nezumi likes this.
  7. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Working for me now. I'm super tempted by the prospect of going to Japan for some snow, but at the moment it's only temptation.

8. nanami_JS

nanami_JS Early Days

Thank you so much for sharing! Looks like an amazing deal! Never been to Aizu and definitely wouldnt mind checking it out!

9. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I'd love to hear some feedback on these resorts, if anyone here has been before.

From what I can see, the accommodation options appear to have been pulled straight out of the 80's/90's in terms of their decor. In terms of the resorts, it's always difficult to guage how good a resort is off just a trail map, but most of the resorts on the Aizu ski site can barely even manage a map. It looks like the main option for transit between the different ski areas is to hire a car?

From what I can see, the price is a great drawcard, but I would want a bit more info before I committed.

10. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Welcome to Japan. Pretty much standard. There's been no money around for these places after the skiing boom imploded. You'll only find modern places in the western infiltrated resorts where there's money flowing in.

hatto and nezumi like this.
  11. nanami_JS

nanami_JS Early Days

Booked! Thanks for sharing!! Was horrified after reading the reviews of the hotel on booking.com, but I am there for the snow so just gonna tolerate the accommodation (as long as non-smoking). SGD 600 for 2 people, 5 nights, 6 breakfast and daily lift pass. Will definitely need to rent a car. Super looking forward to it!

hatto and nezumi like this.
  12. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The beauty of japan is exactly this. Don't know what you will find until you get there. So much fun to be had.

fennekeg likes this.
  13. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

My wife and I must have got lucky when we travelled to Japan. We landed this place in Osaka as our first stop, followed by this place in Kyoto. Our accommodation in Tokyo was.... colourful? As far as we can tell, it used to be a "love hotel" - but we were only there for 2 nights, and it had a kid's play area that our nearly 2 year old loved. :D

14. hatto

Never had a bad place, Sure different to what expected but never a huge issue, but when you get a hill almost to yourself it outweighs the basic accom, plus the fun of mixing it with locals and trying to converse etc is way better than a motel with no atmosphere resort complex.

Dumphfish, Tonester and nezumi like this.
  15. hatto

Did you have to nominate dates for your visit. While talking to the guy at the show I thought he said you didn't have to nominate dates straight away

16. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

At Inawashiro there is one resort ski-in / ski-out and a second by shuttle at Bandaisan Onsen there are 4 resorts by shuttle bus. I am not going to rent a car, just spread my 12 ski days over 5 resorts that I can get to by shuttle. Probably some 2 days others 3 days.

nezumi likes this.
  17. nanami_JS

nanami_JS Early Days

Yes I had to nominate dates and the deal is not refundable. So I paid upfront already but I already booked our flights back in March and we happen to be spending 5 nights 6 days in Japan, so the Aizu deal is just perfect for us.

18. nanami_JS

nanami_JS Early Days

Ah lucky! I don't have that much annual leave, so every minute counts. My hubby and I always take red eye flights in and out of Japan to maximise our time on the slopes. Some companies are pretty stingy with annual leave in Singapore.

19. hatto

I thought as much.
    Im not sure on dates yet so cant book but will be up that way regardless