skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Ohhh, laa te dah!

Look at me!

I shop at Decathalon!

Daarling.
What I can’t understand, is why everyone is out buying multiple merino tops, pants, socks. I’m still wearing my good as new, 20 year old icebreakers. Aldi is cheap, Decawhatevervis cheaper apparently but I’m sure I’ve spent less by not having to replace yearly.

I do like my cabin cosies though.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
What I can’t understand, is why everyone is out buying multiple merino tops, pants, socks. I’m still wearing my good as new, 20 year old icebreakers. Aldi is cheap, Decawhatevervis cheaper apparently but I’m sure I’ve spent less by not having to replace yearly.

I'm not replacing, I'm adding! (Except for my Aldi Ski pants, which opened a window after an unbalanced turn event last year)

They who die with the most thermals is the hottest!

Reactions: Skiain and LMB

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010

It's entry level merino gear. I shudder to think how much I spent buying thermals and midlayers, and yeah they have lasted many years but telling someone who just got into the sport to drop $1000 or so getting a couple of sets of long johns, some t-shirts and some jumpers is generally a hard sell. The alternative is they wear synthetics and friends don't let friends do that (especially if they are sharing the same accommodation).

Reactions: LMB and Telezacski

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
It's entry level merino gear. I shudder to think how much I spent buying thermals and midlayers, and yeah they have lasted many years but telling someone who just got into the sport to drop $1000 or so getting a couple of sets of long johns, some t-shirts and some jumpers is generally a hard sell. The alternative is they wear synthetics and friends don't let friends do that (especially if they are sharing the same accommodation).
Yes. But that doesn’t explain all the forumites buying stuff every year. Most of us are diehard snow sports people.

Reactions: Telezacski

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I'm not replacing, I'm adding! (Except for my Aldi Ski pants, which opened a window after an unbalanced turn event last year)

They who die with the most thermals is the hottest!
I seriously couldn’t have anymore! And I use them year round across multiple activities. Now socks and jackets on the other hand... I do seem to have a problem there.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
I wandered in at lunchtime with the boys and everything except helmets was still there.We casually picked over the gear at leisure.Obviously a sign of the times but I wondered if the whole "new iphone lineup event" thing had jumped the shark

Reactions: Chaeron

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Yes. But that doesn’t explain all the forumites buying stuff every year. Most of us are diehard snow sports people.
I like to have a fresh set of thermals and socks everyday when skiing o/s and it’s easier to have half a dozen sets than have to wash the same set all the time on holidays.

Multiple sets are handy off grid too, not necessary but a nice little luxury.

Martyr

Hard Yards
May 25, 2012
King of the pathetic humans here. 1st in line at 6:50am. There was still enough time to stroll down town for a coffee too.

I was very pleased that this was all laid out nicely with plenty of space. Unfortunately our security guard paid no attention to the 50/15min limit and just let 150 in straight up. Still - I didn't miss out on anything and I think the only items that actually sold out that day were the INOC jacket and pants for men and women.

KkgQ9Xf.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
King of the pathetic humans here. 1st in line at 6:50am. There was still enough time to stroll down town for a coffee too.

I was very pleased that this was all laid out nicely with plenty of space. Unfortunately our security guard paid no attention to the 50/15min limit and just let 150 in straight up. Still - I didn't miss out on anything and I think the only items that actually sold out that day were the INOC jacket and pants for men and women.

KkgQ9Xf.jpg
I hope that wasnt this morning LOL

Reactions: Martyr and JM72

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.

It's Central Aisle Syndrome. You don't really need it, but you might and it's so cheap that you buy it because you might use it one day. The last thing I bought was a little vise with a suction mount for about $15. I have no immediate need but it's the sort of thing that might come in useful one day.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I didn't buy anything from Aldi but had to take my wife to Spotlight on Saturday, so while she was in there, I took a poke around the Anaconda store next door. This is at Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast.

The amount of stock they had was mind blowing. You could walk in there and kit the family out and be able to do so for the same price you could do it it at Aldi without the madness.

They have their own labels (37 Degrees South, Chute & Cederberg) plus XTM, Marmot, Helly Hansen, Columbia, Mountain Designs & North Face.

I could not believe how much stock they had. I didn't buy anything. We have too much as it is.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

Buy once buy right only works when you have total confidence in the product. For me, while I would be happy to make the investment if I knew that I would get a long life out of the product - it's hard to guarantee that.

The older Aldi stuff I have is actually better quality and more durable than my more recent purchases, especially for the merino wear.

Reactions: Annabuzzy and gaz35

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
It's Central Aisle Syndrome. You don't really need it, but you might and it's so cheap that you buy it because you might use it one day. The last thing I bought was a little vise with a suction mount for about $15. I have no immediate need but it's the sort of thing that might come in useful one day.
Haha. Living in a 60 sq m space soon puts stop to that.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I didn't buy anything from Aldi but had to take my wife to Spotlight on Saturday, so while she was in there, I took a poke around the Anaconda store next door. This is at Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast.

The amount of stock they had was mind blowing. You could walk in there and kit the family out and be able to do so for the same price you could do it it at Aldi without the madness.

They have their own labels (37 Degrees South, Chute & Cederberg) plus XTM, Marmot, Helly Hansen, Columbia, Mountain Designs & North Face.

I could not believe how much stock they had. I didn't buy anything. We have too much as it is.
There really wasn't any madness at Aldi this year. 50 people in at a time, was leisurely at best.

The Anaconda labels are nowhere near as good as the Aldi stuff IMO for the price. Night and day.

PiedPiper

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
i got some new gloves, think inners, mostly for bike riding.
and a new skins top - again mostly for riding.

Midday sunday, easy as. Stoked with the gloves, they looks like a good purchase for $10

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

There really wasn't any madness at Aldi this year. 50 people in at a time, was leisurely at best.

The Anaconda labels are nowhere near as good as the Aldi stuff IMO for the price. Night and day.
This.
I bought my wife a jacket from Anaconda 2019. On sale.. Was still $150.
She needed for Japan trip in Jan 2020.
The jacket I got her from Aldi (at $59.95) on saturday is miles ahead a better jacket.
Way way more features. Better cut. Fabric feels fantastic.

Reactions: NightSky

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
This.
I bought my wife a jacket from Anaconda 2019. On sale.. Was still $150.
She needed for Japan trip in Jan 2020.
The jacket I got her from Aldi (at $59.95) on saturday is miles ahead a better jacket.
Way way more features. Better cut. Fabric feels fantastic.
Go and have a look. Much higher quality than previous years. I think they've reacted to Aldi rather than previously focused on competing against normal ski retail. Even the timing of their sale..

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Go and have a look. Much higher quality than previous years. I think they've reacted to Aldi rather than previously focused on competing against normal ski retail. Even the timing of their sale..
Yeah i've been into Decathlon/Rebel/Anaconda last week.
Was trainer shopping for my daughter.
Checked out the gear.
I reckon the Aldi stuff sits somewhere around XTM to Columbia.
Obviously priced differently.

Reactions: nezumi and Chaeron

Banana Benders

Hard Yards
Dec 14, 2018
Gold Coast, Australia
The Aldi Premium 20K/20K Jackets and Pants are great value. At $99.99 each they are great quality.
I have always worn Spider gear. Aldi Premium has all taped and sealed seams and pockets.
I bought the jacket as spare once we start skiing Canada again, Hopefully 2022/23

Reactions: Chaeron and fenrir

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
My wife went into Aldi here on the Gold Coast and said the ski gear was stacked up high. She asked one of heir people if the sale had just started and they said no, nothing sold. The Aldi person said it all sold well in Syd & Melb but nothing in Qld. They're getting ready to pack it up and send it south.

Reactions: cold wombat

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
My wife went into Aldi here on the Gold Coast and said the ski gear was stacked up high. She asked one of heir people if the sale had just started and they said no, nothing sold. The Aldi person said it all sold well in Syd & Melb but nothing in Qld. They're getting ready to pack it up and send it south.
Yeah, I could imagine. Temp alters behaviour. You would probably find it was a different story only inland at Toowoomba.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
QLDers ski in NZ en-masse and there's probably hesitation that the bubble will be disrupted, like it is right now.
I didn’t go into Aldi at all for the sale, but I have to admit to not hearing the hype this year in Perth. None of my usuals were hitting me up to go with...
Maybe it’s a border phobia thing.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I didn’t go into Aldi at all for the sale, but I have to admit to not hearing the hype this year in Perth. None of my usuals were hitting me up to go with...
Maybe it’s a border phobia thing.

The merino stuff mostly went, especially the men's. But still a large pile of assorted ski jackets & pants. I have no idea how good the size spread is though. If anyone still needed something particular, you'd likely still have a fair chance if you were willing to visit multiple stores.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
The hilarious revolving door of Aldi ski sale.

Today, returned INOC jacket and pants in medium plus a regular ski jacket from daughter.

Picked up INOC pants in small for niece (already got her inoc jacket)
Picked up black and gold soft shell jacket for wife.

Still looking for INOC gloves in large.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Went to Aldi yesterday at mid day to get some meat for dinner. Didn't know the sale was on.
Came away with said meat........+ this jacket. :)

I don't normally reply to my own posts, but can't help but not this time.

That jacket I didn't intend to buy last week, actually kept me supremely toasty warm yesterday at a cold and windy day at my son's football (soccer for all the AFL ignorants) game. For $59, it was worth every cent of the purchase on its first outing.

qwill

not in the bunker
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2010
queensland
I don't normally reply to my own posts, but can't help but not this time.

That jacket I didn't intend to buy last week, actually kept me supremely toasty warm yesterday at a cold and windy day at my son's diveball (soccer for all the AFL ignorants) game. For $59, it was worth every cent of the purchase on its first outing.

Typo fixt, no charge

Reactions: Skiain and nezumi

Boekh

First Runs
Dec 28, 2020
Siem Reap
¿?
Decathlon is just Aldi for sport gear, like Rebel but bigger
they’re all over Europe
And Asia. The closest to me is in Phnom Penh, and I try to do a trip every time I’m in town. Although I think Aldi’s snow gear is better. And cheaper once you convert to USD. I’ll be passing on a trip there when I fly back to Aus next month though, too many covid cases that could mess with my travel plans.

Reactions: Chaeron

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT

I've got Lab Gear (Aussie MTB Clothing company from the 2000's) merino leggings that are the bomb.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I have some old Lad Gear stuff they made the +1 a merino top when she s pregnant with our first, which was extra long to cover the bump. It’s still about as are a pair of shorts I use when building

hpsauce

A Local
Ski Pass
May 19, 2008
The Aldi Premium 20K/20K Jackets and Pants are great value. At $99.99 each they are great quality.
I have always worn Spider gear. Aldi Premium has all taped and sealed seams and pockets.
I bought the jacket as spare once we start skiing Canada again, Hopefully 2022/23
I didnt need it but out of curiosity, I tried on the premium jacket which has a detachable primaloft filled puffer inside. I think it was $110 or thereabouts. 3 layer shell with a synthetic puffer underneath. felt really excellent. The synthetic puffer was really very very good. I reckon it was the best value Aldi thing cause you get a very nice shell and a very nice fitting and finished puffer with high end synthetic fill.
Also the premium gloves.....at $39.....felt very nice

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass