Review All new DPS Wailer 100

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Firmer than my Blizzard All mountains which are rip-offs of the Dynafit Seven Summits - light but noodles. So I’m DEFINITELY angling at DPS BC skis - only issue - the width... given mixed Aussie conditions...
I’m thinking about 90 to 98... so maybe the Wailer 99...

https://www.rhythmsnowsports.com.au...MIgta0rMDX5AIVk4BwCh1iWQxGEAsYAiABEgJxlPD_BwE

Or the Cassiar Alchemist...

I’ve got the Wailer Tour 99 with Marker Kingpins. Came from Rhythm a few seasons back.

Like them in BC and get out at least once a week so getting plenty of use...

But, I’m hopeless trying to turn them on ice or groomers.... chatter, bounce and such. Pretty sure it’s user error.

Reactions: Chaeron and skifree

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I’ve got the Wailer Tour 99 with Marker Kingpins. Came from Rhythm a few seasons back.

Like them in BC and get out at least once a week so getting plenty of use...

But, I’m hopeless trying to turn them on ice or groomers.... chatter, bounce and such. Pretty sure it’s user error.
User error on groomers maybe - if you’re not getting them on edge, but most def. not on ice.

Reactions: SMSkier
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
The Wailer 99 was superseded this year by the W100, so you might find them at a good price. They’re a great BC ski for Oz.
So too is the Cassiar 95. If you remove the price argument and focus on the ski and your preferred skiing style then perhaps that might steer you towards one more than the other. If you’re a strong skier and want to lay them over and ride the edge then you’ll prefer the C95. If your looking for something with better mixed snow capabilities then the W99 might be your ski.
Put it this way, you can’t make a bad move with either. They’re both versatile skis and whilst one might be better at a particular discipline than then other, either is not far off the mark.
Personally I prefer the C95.

Reactions: SMSkier

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
The Wailer 99 was superseded this year by the W100, so you might find them at a good price. They’re a great BC ski for Oz.
So too is the Cassiar 95. If you remove the price argument and focus on the ski and your preferred skiing style then perhaps that might steer you towards one more than the other. If you’re a strong skier and want to lay them over and ride the edge then you’ll prefer the C95. If your looking for something with better mixed snow capabilities then the W99 might be your ski.
Put it this way, you can’t make a bad move with either. They’re both versatile skis and whilst one might be better at a particular discipline than then other, either is not far off the mark.
Personally I prefer the C95.
I’m looking towards the C95 as I love riding the edge and prefer a narrower ski for mixed Oz conditions. ..

Reactions: DPS Driver

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
The Wailer is better on ice & the skin track than my Cassairs, but they are C80 not C95. Anything with more side cut than the Wailer will not be as nice on ice or the skin track.

In the resort I’d love to be riding the C95.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaeron

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
So today was my third day on the new W100RPs. After a good in bounds day at Perisher & a 14k / 750 vertical bc tour day, today was a let loose but relax long morning at Thredbo.

Bloody good is the exec summary.

100 grams lighter than their grandparents that has been my daily driver for a while noe but bigger, firmer, faster, more forgiving and today made Thredbo spring piles easy, they just sliced thru or rode over as they were told to do. Early in the day they just wanted to gooooo on the firm faster than I could think. No goggles didn’t help this part of the testing.

dps R&D has delivered. This is my fourth pair of Wailers over the journey. So I’ve s pretty good idea of the improvement over the years.

If you never thought you could consider a non metal ski, think again and demo these dark horses next year.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
So today was my third day on the new W100RPs. After a good in bounds day at Perisher & a 14k / 750 vertical bc tour day, today was a let loose but relax long morning at Thredbo.

100 grams lighter than their grandparents that has been my daily driver for a while noe but bigger, firmer, faster, more forgiving and today made Thredbo spring piles easy, they just sliced thru or rode over as they were told to do. Early in the day they just wanted to gooooo on the firm faster than I could think. No goggles didn’t help this part of the testing.

dps R&D has delivered. This is my fourth pair of Wailers over the journey. So I’ve s pretty good idea of the improvement over the years.

If you never thought you could consider a non metal ski, think again and demo these dark horses next year.
They go well don’t they.

Reactions: Chaeron and skifree

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

Damn you @skifree you've just made me order a pair. Will have proper bindings though (Tecton or Dynafit ST Rotation). @DPS Driver press the order button......

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Sooky sooky excuse.

I don’t think my boots are too bad, could be better, but they are better than boots of old.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I did not really realise what new Wailers i ended up with this year, i just closed my eyes when money was mentioned and skied em when they got here.

So all my comments on the skiing the ski relate to the Powderworks Wailer 100RP Tour, what a bleeding mouthful.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
When tele boots get close to this (that is a pair of boots)

WP_20170808_14_11_29_Pro.jpg

Reactions: Chaeron and SMSkier

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@climberman pretty darned good. Have binned the Lange Comp 100 and now use the Technica Cochise as my alpine/downhill boot, have sold the Scarpa Maestrale. When travelling I'm just taking the DPS/Dynafit and the Atomic Backland Carbon. Not a lot a of weight to cart around, which is important when returning from Iceland via the Maldives.......

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
More seriously I'd love a tele boot around the 1.2 or 1.3 kg each, which lighter than my Excursions (@1.5kg).

Surely one day Scapa will deliver? Or inspire say Rosignol etc to do?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
More seriously I'd love a tele boot around the 1.2 or 1.3 kg each, which lighter than my Excursions (@1.5kg).

Surely one day Scapa will deliver? Or inspire say Rosignol etc to do?
One day! Don't hold your breath.

Can't you see the industry wants you to become AT skiers.

Reactions: Chaeron

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
One day! Don't hold your breath.

Can't you see the industry wants you to become AT skiers.

I dont really want to go AT.

Not against the option- its the forcing...

I like having the option to chose teles, parallels or telellels(?), at whim each run.

And change along a run as conditions change.

Even go Side country at the drop a hat with kickers.

Freedom!!!

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I dont really want to go AT.

Not against the option- its the forcing...

I like having the option to chose teles, parallels or telellels(?), at whim each run.

And change along a run as conditions change.

Even go Side country at the drop a hat with kickers.

Freedom!!!
Yep,couldn't agree more but unfortunately we live in a world where our freedoms are being limited more and more by governments and big business. So why should the ski world be any different.

Suck eh!

Reactions: snowgum

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Finally got to test out my new DPS w100 RP and bloody love them. So far have had fresh deep pow at Sahoro, tight trees, chopped powder, piste, carving, jumps and now hooning down the runs at Furano. I haven’t really tested them at top speed 100km+ or on hard pack but that will come in a couple of weeks in Europe. So far brilliant all round ski and a great update to my K2 shreditors.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass