Alluring Arctic

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Just a heads up. Anyone come across a series of YouTube videos titled "Alluring Arctic"? Suggested to me by a sailor friend and highly recommended. This guy sails solo (mostly) around Norway in his small yacht, then moors in fiords, takes a dinghy to shore, hikes up and skis some of the most extraordinary backcountry lines. Spectacular scenery, wildlife. In episode 5, he claims to have evidence that seals travel uphill from the water so that they can slide (ski?) down. Worth a look. What a life!

Last edited:

MarkV

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 4, 2016
Just a heads up. Anyone come across a series of YouTube videos titled "Alluring Arctic"? Suggested to me by a sailor friend and highly recommended. This guy sails solo (mostly) around Norway in his small yacht, then moors in fiords, takes a dinghy to shore, hikes up and skis some of the most extraordinary backcountry lines. Spectacular scenery, wildlife. In episode 5, heclaims to have evidence that seals travel uphill from the water so that they can slide (ski?) down. Worth a look. What a life!
I've seen a seal surfing inside a wave at Wilson's Prom in Victoria. It swam out and repeated the surfing a number of times.

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@chriscross did something similar in Iceland last year. Was epic and not that expensive.

IMG_3343.JPG

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Sensational, FB. Where is the TR?
As for MarkV, where there are seals in the surf, I don't want to be surfing. Just saying.
Meanwhile, when the Norwegian guy first sees animal tracks, I don't think I'm alone in thinking "polar bear".

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Sensational, FB. Where is the TR?
As for MarkV, where there are seals in the surf, I don't want to be surfing. Just saying.
Meanwhile, when the Norwegian guy first sees animal tracks, I don't think I'm alone in thinking "polar bear".
If the seals are there is a good sign.
Means the other fella's aren't there .
IMO.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Just a heads up. Anyone come across a series of YouTube videos titled "Alluring Arctic"? Suggested to me by a sailor friend and highly recommended. This guy sails solo (mostly) around Norway in his small yacht, then moors in fiords, takes a dinghy to shore, hikes up and skis some of the most extraordinary backcountry lines. Spectacular scenery, wildlife. In episode 5, he claims to have evidence that seals travel uphill from the water so that they can slide (ski?) down. Worth a look. What a life!
Coolio, thanks for that.
What a life!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass