Mega Thread Alpine and Southern Spring Weather Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Some moisture for the Southern States this weekend. Just need some instability to light the fuse.
Discussed in the NSW D2D WX thread, there's some signs in the models we may see some TS activity Saturday/Sunday through SA/Vic & NSW respectively.
gfs_midRH_aus_15.png

stormcast.html

stormcast.html

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Not sure if this is a weather question but what's the reason for the current haze over jindy/main range?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
OK, should I believe the BOM forecast for Jindy tomoroz that says 90% chance of rain (has not rained all winter why start now?) and stay home or disbelieve it and go BC?

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Not sure if this is a weather question but what's the reason for the current haze over jindy/main range?

Mostly moisture (and a little pollen and such) in the air was my assessment while out and about today (only on the bitumen). No real evidence of dust was the air.

Reactions: Ozgirl

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Spencer's Creek & The Snowy must be experiencing torrential flows.

Spencers was if anything a little down on flow today compared to yesterday. Pretty normal looking flow for this time of year.

The Snowy was only just over the crossing rocks at the Snowy & Club Creek junction, so a highish flow but nothing really special.

Downstream of the Guthega Dam is a different story with the flow boosted by spillway flow. See separate thread in the Perisher (there is no Guthega Forum) Forum. Normally flow from this dam is via the power station feed pipe so it's unusual to have much flow here.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
OK, should I believe the BOM forecast for Jindy tomoroz that says 90% chance of rain (has not rained all winter why start now?) and stay home or disbelieve it and go BC?
This one swings in SW and finishes with some southerly, straight down the TV. One way or another, I’d say it’s in the bag for Jindy. Only maybe 5-10mm...

Reactions: SMSkier

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
This one swings in SW and finishes with some southerly, straight down the TV. One way or another, I’d say it’s in the bag for Jindy. Only maybe 5-10mm...
Ta. I think...,didn’t really want a home day tomoroz. Will wait for the lookout window in the morning.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Couple of pics taken at PV (pics also in the Perisher thread).

Snow fell on and off since about 10:00 am but came in proper behind this cloud..... circa 11:30.

When it started falling it was building quickly. At that stage snow to about Smiggin Holes. Also enough weather to close the triple chair.

Looking ominous at Moonbah and quite cold. Plus a bit of thunder.

2C32DDC2-1DE8-4AF0-94F3-0AF23F1975B7.jpeg

5920631A-85DD-423B-9A60-D167E7BB8C62.jpeg

bullet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
Hi weather experts, could you please help with your input.

I'm looking at houng out BC at charlottes on the WE.
It was originally looking ok, but now auto forecast on Jane's and yr. No say rain Fri to Sat.

Could you please comment on weather in the MR for this weekend.
Thanks for your help and great knowledge.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

It was originally looking ok, but now auto forecast on Jane's and yr. No say rain Fri to Sat.

I think at this stage Sunday looks the goods. But my view will be subject to review daily.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Left Perisher a bit past oneish I think after all lifts closed on lightening hold (meaning closed for the day) and the Mitchel was fired up. One run was enough with the crowd that was now jambed on it.

Key data is it was snowing heavily down to below Ski Rider on the way home, somewhere about 1450M.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney

Friday/Saturday is looking like variable conditions in the MR. Snow, rain, chance of some sun; the whole shooting match.
Under the influence of anomalous; Easterly winds.

Sunday looks ok, but cloud cover & fog may hamper efforts.
It's a tricky window.

bullet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
Friday/Saturday is looking like variable conditions in the MR. Snow, rain, chance of some sun; the whole shooting match.
Under the influence of anomalous; Easterly winds.

Sunday looks ok, but cloud cover & fog may hamper efforts.
It's a tricky window.
So not so great, ok
Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass