1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Alpine Club

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Signal du Bassia, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Signal du Bassia

Signal du Bassia Hard Yards

Very candid question as I try to understand the Australian “mountaineering” landscape. Are all Australian alpine clubs core function is to manage a club (building) and Is the private membership/sponsor the only model in Australia?
    Why none developed the social hub or sport federation aspect find in alpine clubs around the world providing education and training courses, insurance brokerage, social events, schedule outings, climbing/trail/skiing/etc competitions and advocacy for alpine users in general?
    My question comes from wanting to offer my kids a similar experience than mine growing up. To have been a member of the CAF (French alpine club) from a young age was a marvellous experience and gave me so much love for all thing mountainous, long lasting friendships and the skills needed to enjoy the mountains in summer and winter.

Chaeron and CarveMan like this.
  2. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

Some clubs like the Birkebeiner Club based at Falls are an exception to this Australian trend, as are the ski mountaineering clubs of the universities. Clubs based on regional membership from towns are also more holistic in their approach. The race clubs at the various resorts have also filled a role which separate training from residential lodges.

Australian resorts generally only allow ski instructors linked to the Lift companies, and we don’t have as much of a Nordic tradition, so those are other contributing factors.

The early history of Buller clubs were more inclusive of a broader approach, from my limited understanding.

The various bushwalking clubs across Australia express the kind of broader traditions of mountaineering more fully. The Scouts and Rovers also play a similar role.

Some locations (Cleve Cole hut, Johnson’s hut, Illawara Lodge, for example) are more strongly expressive of a broader, more inclusive tradition.

3. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

pretty much what @Chaeron said

clubs may have started out broader but many have narrowed to only really care about lifted skiing. the social and educational side has dwindled. some are still broader. I think some accommodation focused clubs are starting to see more members who also want to ski xc or bc. whether that leads to a broadening of the culture and activities will be interesting

there is a belief that gen y and millenials are much less interested in clubs than earlier generations. that won't help the situation (but it didn't cause it)

Signal du Bassia and Chaeron like this.
  5. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

You want to be involved in the Australian section of the New Zealand Alpine Club. That’s the closest alignment here to the CAF and similar euro organisations.

ecowain, piolet, Legs Akimbo and 3 others like this.
  6. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure where you are based, but Melbourne Nordic Ski Club has something to offer xc folk. Friendly, too.

Signal du Bassia and Chaeron like this.
  7. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure where you are based, but Melbourne Nordic Ski Club has something to offer xc folk. Friendly, too.

8. Signal du Bassia

Yes, Uni club seems the closer in catering for multiple sports. I assume their target audience is obviously student and uni staffs.
    I agree that the offer is here. It just seems so disseminate across so many clubs, non profits, etc
    But it the same in my industry or my wife’s. Every man and his dog (states) create his own organisation and you end up with 6 millions peak body.
    Thanks for the links. I’ll check them out.

Chaeron and climberman like this.
  9. Signal du Bassia

For the education side, I have friends involve in scouts. I struggle to reconcile my atheism with the great experience I’m sure scout offer.

piolet, DPS Driver and Chaeron like this.
  10. Signal du Bassia

can’t speak for them but if Alpine Club were functioning like any rugby or soccer clubs, I can’t see why young kids wouldn’t sign up to them.
    I was based away from the mountain and would train (climbing, bike riding, maps skills, etc) during the week and go on trip in the weekend. I suppose I wish for a scout group/adult group dedicated to mountain endeavours.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I guess how hard the god-bothering side is pushed would be up to the local leaders. I think we were expected to turn up to church parade once a year but I can't recall much other stuff.

12. Signal du Bassia

Thanks. Canberra based but I’ll check them out.

13. Signal du Bassia

I came across it during my internet rabbit hole musing. Do you know much about it? Kiwis expats? Where are they based?

Chaeron likes this.
  14. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

I highly recommend Scouts as it provides kids with the opportunity to try a huge range of outdoor activities. From what I have seen there is very little religion and, what there is, is more an explanation of religion that dogma. Most Scouts seem to come away viewing the outdoors as their religion!

teleroo, currawong and Chaeron like this.
  15. ecowain

ecowain One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

All over. Australian members of NZAC.

Lots in blue mtns, canberra, sydney, melbourne, etc.

Chaeron likes this.
  16. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Chaeron likes this.
  17. Dropbear

Dropbear Hard Yards

I too recommend Scouts as an excellent community for social and outdoor activities. And note that Scouts Australia isn't aligned with any religion. It encourages kids to explore faith and whether it has a role in their lives (as but one part of their development), but doesn't make assertions as to what that faith should be.

Scouts is also a great way to get into mountain and snow adventures, such as canyoning in the Blue Mountains to mountain biking and skiing down up at Bogong.

Nevertheless, I would also love to see a big broad Alpine Club in Australia, like say the Swiss Alpine Club. It's interesting to hear of NZ or Austrian spin-offs. Is there a role for a national organisation?

currawong and Chaeron like this.