1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Alpine Diesel

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Stratus, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Stratus

Stratus A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Is anyone able to confirm if the Caltex's in Tawonga/Mt Beauty use Alpine Diesel? (I'm 99% sure they do).

Does the Caltex really close at 9pm on Friday night? We will be coming up from Melbourne so might miss it. Any other servo along the way (such as Myrtleford) that would pump Alpine?

:cheers:

2. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Yes in Myrtleford, the last service station on your right when travelling through has 24hr card access. Not sure if Alpine Diesel, also would recommend that as this weekend is expected to be quite cold it would be worth pouring a bottle of diesel additive in as well just to be safe

Charlie likes this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'll try to remember to check about when I'm out later.

As far as I know the old Pyles servo (bus station) closes at 7pm. The one near the roundabout is a bit later these days, not sure if 8 or 9.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The Tawonga Sth servo (as per Curra's bus station) dispenses Alpine diesel. From memory the Caltex in the south of Myrtleford has one pump with Alpine.

But buy your diesel where it's convenient and add the anti-gel stuff. Easily done.

ladycamper likes this.
  5. Stratus

Ok thanks, I think i'll look into the additive.

What is it called exactly and is it readily available?

6. Ziggy

Anti-gel or anti-wax agent. One variety from SCA Wangaratta was $14 to treat c. 600 l. Servos in alpine towns stock similar stuff.

As an aside, think about coming up via Wang. Not that much further and has more fuel choices (and cheaper ones) but not alpine diesel out of the tank I think.

7. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

They sell the additive in the Shell Servo in Bright.
    I haven't seen it at ANY of the shops here in Melbourne.

Not sure about the other Servos.

8. Hully

Hully One of Us

This. As much as I am passionate about trade occurring in Mt Beauty....if coming up at night fill up with alpine diesel at the servo on the right with 24hr access. If I remember correctly when I checked for this forum last year it is the 'truck bowsers' to the side of the main ones that are 24hr alpine diesel.

9. currawong

I checked the Mt Beauty servos today. Both have alpine diesel. The one near the roundabout is open till 9pm every night. The one at the bus station closes at 7pm every night.

SuskiQ likes this.
  10. Stratus

Thanks! We'll see how we're going for time. Otherwise Myrtleford might be the safer bet.

11. Stratus

All I could find available to Melbournians is from Super Cheap. Lucas Oil Antigel for $15.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...ent-946mL.aspx?pid=SPO3769705#Recommendations

FatBoyDave likes this.
  12. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I got slugged $25 for additive last weekend, it was my diesel's first trip to the snow and I didn't time things right & got to Mansfield with half a tank & I didn't trust filling the rest with Alpine Diesel & having a diluted mix - as it turned out it was warm all weekend and I would have been right. But with a 100L tank I'll be able to manage the rest of the winter using Alpine Blend - 1300km per tank makes things easy.

13. PG2736

PG2736 Addicted

ULR Land Rover in Malvern VIC sell the additive. Myrtleford is a much better bet for alpine diesel. They also sell the additive. Caltex up near Rays is best as also has a 24hr pump.

14. Ziggy

Yep.
    In the old days local servos would dose their diesel tanks with heating oil.

Yep. That's what I got at Wang SCA.

15. Hully

Hully One of Us

I run a diesel and am up and down all season in all conditions, I just use the local alpine diesel and never had a problem.

16. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Carrying a bottle of the treatment stuff is good insurance
    If you're not sure what's in your tank, just squirt in a dose before you start to climb the hill
    It's much better than spending a couple of hours trying to thaw out your tank
    (A lot of modern cars now have fuel coolers on their lines for summer, unfortunately they make it very hard to thaw out the lines, the cooler is basically a block of finned aluminium, that just keeps cooling the fuel)

17. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

And bio diesel is said to thicken easier...Supercheap at Bairnsdale sold me additive at half marked price. :)
    No idea what percentage bio in cheaper? fuel. It initially seemed to give better mileage.
    Great unknown, strange and strong exhaust smell made a passenger vomit as we were putting on chains.
    And the catalyser fan ran after engine stop, first time for that.
    Brrrr...

18. babycover

babycover First Runs

19. Ziggy

Done 5-6 trips up the mountain to sub-zero temps with it.

20. After You

After You First Runs

Hard to find the info you need. For Vic, I spoke to Caltex distributor in Wodonga, and they have 24hr pump with Alpine Diesel, which seems rare in Albury - Wodonga. Caltex Wodonga, Lot 107 bradford st, wodonga, vic 3690 02 6024 2488

At the foot of the mountains, he confirmed Caltex around Mt Beauty / Tawonga do have Alpine Diesel.

Alpine Mix is about approx. 20% heating oil to dilute the dissolved waxes in 'summer diesel'. So try to have a mostly empty tank before you fill up with Alpine Mix.

RE: additives - BP (link below) advise that ROX Diesel Antifreeze will lower the freezing point, but doesn't change the cloud point. In other words, when it gets cold, the diesel won't freeze, but the waxes will solidify, which will then block the filter or the fuel pump inside the tank. I've seen a modern diesel totally immobilised at Falls Ck, and its a bad way to end your ski trip.

I'm just going for Alpine Mix at a convenient location.

Some reference sites:
      1. BP Info on additives:http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/products-services/service-stations/downloads/Changing-Diesel-Fuel-Properties-Using-Additives.pdf
      2. Additive: http://www.callingtonhaven.com/th/_assets/fuel_additives/roxdiesel_antifreeze.pdf
      3. Caltex - also have milder temp 'Highland Diesel', but use Alpine instead. http://svc001.syd1-0021moss.server-web.com/FPL%20PDS/Winter%20Diesel%20Blends.pdf
    Hope this helps.

babycover likes this.
  21. Angleski

Angleski Hard Yards

I've fill up in Myrtleford (Shell - as I have a Shell card) on the way up to Falls Creek as from memory there is no Shell in Mt Beauty. I asked a couple of years ago if their diesel was Alpine Diesel and they confirmed it was. I did a quick check and their Facebook page had this on 1 June: "Winter has arrived and so has the Alpine Diesel so dont get caught without it on these cold mornings."

Stratus likes this.
  22. Ziggy

Apparently our diesel doesn't begin to gel till about -6C so much of the time, esp say for a spring day trip, you don't need to bother.
    But forecasts are not predictions.

23. babycover

babycover First Runs

thank you!!! i will try and reach bright at an almost empty tank. Filled up with Alpine Diesel and also will add the Super cheap additive as well

24. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

Does the BP in Myrtleford sell alpine diesel?

25. Boodwah

Boodwah A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Is there a BP Myrtleford? The BP on the freeway turnoff doesn't. One of the Caltex (Hotham side) does and is 24/24

26. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

My problem is I've got a 100L tank so if I put in the regular one I'm stuck with it for a couple of trips, so this being my first season with a diesel I'm just filling it with Alpine as required.

27. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

Doh! - Google led me astray. Looks like there was but is now closed. I was hoping to use a BP as I have a work BP fuel card. Will just fill up in Mt Beauty at another servo with cash then.

28. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

Credit card 24 hour unmanned alpine diesel beside Twinkles in Omeo can save the day when your trip computer stops making fuel

29. currawong

Last time I was there (late on an April Sunday morning) the machine was not working. No idea if this was very rare or quite common. In our case the other so was open so no big deal.

30. Ziggy

If coming down the Kiewa Hwy to Falls, check out the Dederang diesel price. 10c cheaper this morning than Mt Beauty (not sure whether it's alpine brew).

31. currawong

dederang is usually cheaper petrol than mt beauty too and often comparable with albury