1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Alpine N.P..Mulhauser spur, Long Spur, Mt.Bogong, Granite flat .April 24-28th /2019

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi. A full trip report from your correspondent in the field is coming soon with photos.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I went up to The Mt. Bogong Club working bee over the ANZAC long weekend April 2019. I drove from Myrtleford to Mitta Mitta via Trapper's Gap road and then onto Mulhauser track in the Tee Mobile. I took a lot of photos on the way to the camp site at Mulhauser spur.
    I stopped by Tom's Hut on Wed. 24/4/19.Team Bears have made it into the Mitta Mitta Hilton !.
    The track up to Tom's Hut was clear. The 4 x 4 track up to Mulhauser spur trailhead is in good order , the route was clear and I did not need to cut any logs on the road in order to proceed.
    It should be good for white season access to Long Spur for skiing Mt. Bogong/ Camp Valley.

Tanuki, neilmny, Kletterer and 2 others like this.
  3. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Oh it’s nice to see it’s all intact.....Team Bears have been so busy that we have not been in there for months.....good to see folk are looking after it and picnic table is still ok outside.

It’s a splendid area....heaps nicer than Mt Ck Picnic Ground....and the weather is better down in the more sheltered site ....

We see the little seats from Sunbury Tip are still there too!And even the coffee tables
    It’s very pleasing to see these pics because we did work pretty hard diwn there fir awhile.

Any skilled metal workers may want to lend a hand to replace chimney surrounds as its rusting out.
    And we see the cows are on hand to mow the grass.

As this is a cattle lease area ....please always respect the agistment of those cattle and the farmers involved!Always!

Bogong and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Photos from Mitta Mitta, Lightning Creek and Mulhauser camp.

Tanuki, neilmny and Belly like this.
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

@hongomania and his chum had done a food drop as a day hike at Cleve Cole hut on Wed. 24/4/19 in preparation for a planned 10 day winter Back country ski trip to Mt. Bogong .They returned to their car at Mulhauser camp not long after I had returned from a walk up to Mt. Mulhauser. It rained overnight on Wed. It was good to meet @hongomania and his chum in person , having followed their B.C. exploits last white season .

The hike into CC Hut on Thursday 25/4/19 offered good weather and some Mt. Bogong Club Members to walk with, their presence motivated me after some post Hannel's spur lassitude and another broken tent pole :-0 , which needed a bush repair job.
    Long Spur track in terms of overgrown scrub and fallen logs could be worse but next green season it will need some more work.
    The photos cover the terrain along Mulhauser track & Long Spur up to Camp valley .

6. Ubiquitous Steve

Are there many trees down from Camp Mulhe to Bossiea Hill...as Team Bears May do a sorte along there if required before winter sets in?Are picnic tables A.ok.Did u go beyond Mt Mulhauser to the end if 4x4 Track on the eastern side of Mt M.
    Has Bogong Club done any track work along Longspur?
    Are there any diabolical massive trees requiring immediate attention on walking track before winter?

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

There are trees down that need the el choppo between Mulhauser track and Bossiea hill. I walked about 5 -10 minutes towards Big River Saddle on the AAWT but visibility on Wed. was so bad at 1400 M. that I turned back.
    Picnic Tables , 5 of them I counted are all OK.
    The track could use a whipper snipper and a chainsaw. It was quite windy over the 4 days I was up there and the track became more blocked by dead wood on the way back to the car on Sunday. There were no redonkulously huge trees down on the track.
    The only work we did in the Long Spur direction was to replace pole No. 1151 near the T spur/ Long spur track junction , next to the Maddison Hut ruins, otherwise no track work was carried out in that direction. It was my idea to replace the fallen pole and we carried out a spare snow pole, tools, dug out the rotten snow pole stump and did the job right including putting the number plate from the old rotten fallen pole onto the new treated snow pole.
    It was a long drive back to Melb. from Mulhauser camp. The Mitta valley in Autumn looks like a painting or a postcard. :) .

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  8. Ubiquitous Steve

Holly Jesus that is so sad!

Mighty Mulhauser never has such a conflagration of such toolies with i phones....
    It is strictly forbidden to take selfies on Mt Mulhauser Summit by order of Team Bears!
    And those caught nuding up are shot on sight!

Man this Kosy picture is causing the bears to weep!
    This could only be happening in NSW.
    Better put the giant Rocking Horse

sculpture up there and be done with it!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

NPWS should shoot selfie wankers on sight as well as feral horses ;-P . I use a real SLR camera and I seldom take a photo of myself. I doubt I could improve the scenery much anyway.

#9 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  10. Ubiquitous Steve

Holly Jesus that is so sad,
    oh good ...snow pole replaced ...that is good work.
    Team Bears will no doubt take the Echo 310 out for a stroll shortly and deal with these abberant trees!
    Mitta Mitta Valley is up there with some of the best scenery in the State...
    Fortunately no serious fire damage up there for last few years.....
    It’s a striking comparison on the way into Keppels Hut where the daylights have been burnt out of vegetation and all mature trees have past on to the promised land!
    Nice pics Mr T.

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Camping at CC Hut , Thursday April 25th.
    Friday 26/4/19 was poor in terms of weather with low visibility , wet sleet , windy and COLD. I didn't take many pictures that day but I helped cut some wood for the hut , dug some drainage channels for the foot track above the hut and helped replaced a snow pole. It snowed on Friday night, there was dry snow on my tent at bed time and then there was a big frost and everyone's drink bottles froze solid. It was NIPPY!.

neilmny, skifree, Seth and 3 others like this.
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Sunrises up at CC Hut seemed to be rather photogenic. On Saturday 27/4/19 , a party went over the summit in clear weather to collect supplies, from the Granite Flat Spur Car park, for the hut and bring things to a state of readiness for the winter season . I went along and then returned via the summit. Some volunteers carried back 22 kg gas cylinders for the gas stove inside the hut.

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Easter Sat. 2019. CC hut to Granite Flat spur car park , up to the summit via Eskdale spur pole line and back to CC hut for a rest. The wind picked up on the way back and my hands became very cold clad in just cycling gloves returning from the summit to CC hut.
    Visibility was excellent .That famous burnt snow gum skeleton on the upper Eskdale spur has had quite bit of it snapped off it by some knuckle dragger and used as fuel for a camp fire. @chokenchicken dismantled the fireplace stones.

neilmny and skifree like this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Day 4.Sunrise and the return trip.

The hike out back along Long Spur to the Tee Mobile back at Mulhauser spur camp was in clear weather and the view over Long spur with the clouds below in the valley was sublime. Behold the new snow pole at pole No. 1151.One could see Mt. Bogong from the Mulhauser spur foot track as one descended along the steep foot track to the camping /picnic table area .My pack was much lighter having eaten four days worth of food.
    There were other cars back at Camp Mulhauser and someone had recently cut some poles that were blocking the 4 x4 track, so I made a swift exit back to Mitta Mitta for some hot tea and a muffin at the general store.

The Mitta Valley as it opens up around Eskdale looks like a painting on a clear autumn day.

neilmny and skifree like this.
  15. Ubiquitous Steve

It’s rock art of the modern era!

I have come to prefer the Vicco landscapes in the highest regions because of the snow gums.
    Team Bears get bored quickly with those Kosy Lunar Landscapes That feature mainly rocks and stunted shrubs!
    Probably why Team Leader prefers Country between Kiandra and Schlink Pass.

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Snow gums are my kind of tree!

snowgum and neilmny like this.
  17. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG]
    Ah, Camp Valley. That was where I realised that I was hooked on the mountains. It was only my second trip to Mt Bogong and I was still a clueless teenager. This was just before they rerouted most of the walking track away from the valley proper and banned campfires. We were camped very close to where this photo was taken and I recall the front of me being almost scalded by the campfire, while it seemed icicles were forming on my back. The atmosphere that night was incredible and 30 years later my addition to high mountains has yet to be curred.

hongomania, snowgum, neilmny and 2 others like this.
  18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am planning a snow trip / XC BC ski trip to Mulhauser Spur /Long Spur and Camp valley this snow season as well as a Trap yard gap XC BC ski trip to the BHP.

19. Ubiquitous Steve

Don’t forget the drome to McNamarras ....this could be a warm up for winter...
    Perhaps a better marked and cut trail than the dreaded death march of Hannels.
    And a picnic stop at the scenic lookout!We hear that it’s pleasant!

With even potential for a quick swim in the Cobungra if this weather continues.
    Team Bears are still chasing feed back on this classic walk ?

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I will try and get out there and do a full report with photos before the snow comes but time is passing and we are already in Food and Briquette drop month a.k.a May. I have done quite a few big hikes in April 2019 and would like to surf a bit before XC ski mania takes hold of me for most of Late June until the end of September.

21. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

???? Serious
    https://ski-forum.imgix.net/2019/04...f1a1cb42f.JPG?w=1600&q=85&fit=max&auto=format
    https://ski-forum.imgix.net/2019/04...d4d667101.JPG?w=1600&q=85&fit=max&auto=format
    https://ski-forum.imgix.net/2019/02...88c78daf4.JPG?w=1600&q=85&fit=max&auto=format
    https://ski-forum.imgix.net/2019/04...246afd6ab.JPG?w=1600&q=85&fit=max&auto=format
    https://ski-forum.imgix.net/2019/01...330db18bd.JPG?w=1600&q=85&fit=max&auto=format
    https://ski-forum.imgix.net/2019/03...08128e9e7.jpg?w=1600&q=85&fit=max&auto=format
    https://ski-forum.imgix.net/2019/01...515b57811.JPG?w=1600&q=85&fit=max&auto=format

and there are lots more (and I have noticed you never look happy). I know you sometimes get into that judgmental phase after hard walks and it is a natural instinct to think we are better than others in some way but the people in the photo at the summit looked young and fit and maybe were just on holiday. Some could be doing the Lakes loop which is a big day. They are doing a 13km walk at least. There are two pics of you at summits and one was Kosci. It is very easy to fit people into holes just by looking at them, or the car they drive or the gear they have. Good effort from you to make it up Hannels but be careful about throwing stones at your glass house.

nezumi and zapruda like this.
  22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

My glass house leaks a lot in the rain. I have run out of stones to throw.

neilmny, Ubiquitous Steve and skifree like this.
  23. Ubiquitous Steve

You gotta admit Xplora the picture taken of mt Kosy is rather humorous !

The summit of Kosy is boring even when one is there at 4pm in mid winter!
    It’s more comical when folk are all over it taking pics some selfies!

Even if the folk in the photo mentioned were all intrepid elite snow &ice climbers on a picnic it would still make the Team of little Bears chuckle ?

Now remember one must not touch any stones and move them while in KNP according to its regulations.
    And I am pretty sure KNP don’t like any folk erecting glass houses either!

Team Bears would allow anybody that struggles up Hannels to be somewhat bemused by the tourists at that tourist high point otherwise called Mt K.

We have turned this mountain in to a bit of “joke”to be quite honest Xplora!
    One can rock up on a bicycle from Charlottes Pass in 20mins along the welll prepared roadway !

Team Bears can see that the newish Rawsons Pass dunnies are getting a work out anyway!
    If you think Mr T looks unhappy well good thing u didnot see the Team Leader when the Team Bears Brush cutter blew up!

By order of High Command .....Everybody must smile in all photos....now should feral horses crash the photo shoot...well just try and grin a little to keep Xplora happy!

24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I saw that the queue for the commodes at the bunker of relief at Rawson's Pass was like the queue for a berth on Noah's ark. The tourists were not lining up in twos either.

25. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes Steve, I found this photo very funny and I agree that bagging the summit of Australia's highest peak is not necessarily that difficult. What made the photo even more hilarious was the one posting it, only a very short time ago, was the one in front of the camera at the very same place and he later posted it to social media going on to say people who do this should be shot. Do you not see the irony?

nezumi likes this.
  26. Ubiquitous Steve

No...but I see you are being silly again and unnecessarily putting down Mr T.

The irony may be that you are putting folk down Willy nilly with some of your posts!

But enjoy your day !

27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Point No. 1.Technically speaking a ' a selfie' is a photo taken by one's own self of oneself not a photo of one's self taken by another person for the purposes of proof that a summit has been reached. Point No. 2 I said I seldom, not that I NEVER take a picture of myself . Point No. 3 I was joking. @Explora makes some good points on this forum but his earnestness is overwhelming. It is time to post some pictures of Shaun the sheep or some such and maintain some modicum of jocularity! .Point. 4 Irony and contradictions are often found together. It is part of the conundrum of life grasshopper.

28. Ubiquitous Steve

29. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: 30 Day

Nice to meet you Mr T. I spotted the T mobile straight away

I can confirm that Mr T has the world's heaviest pack

30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Tee Mobile at Mulhauser camp.