Alpine National Park management

Earwig

First Runs
Sep 25, 2009
Parks Victoria is reviewing the management plans for Alpine, Mt Buffalo, Snowy River, Errinundra and Baw Baw NPs. Info can be found at http://www.weplan.parks.vic.gov.au. There are also going to be some Community Open Houses held during October 2009 to ask planners and rangers questions about the plan and talk about what the plan needs to address. These will be held from 4pm to 7pm at:
- Orbost - Monday 5th Ocotober 2009 at Orbost Football Club, Lochiel Street
- Omeo - Tuesday 6th October 2009, Omeo Shire Hall, Day Avenue
- Bright - Wednesday 7th October 2009, Senior Citizens Hall, Cobden St
- Melbourne - Thursday 8th October 2009, The Hub @ Docklands (Melways map 2E: H7)
- Mansfield - Monday 12th October 2009, Department of Sustainability and Environment, 128 Highett Street
- Traralgon - Tuesday 13th October 2009, Department of Sustainability and Environment, 71 Hotham Road

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
I've looked into submissions for this sort of thing in the past. The trouble is that they make it too hard. You can't just say something like "I'd like to see more control of feral animals as last time I was at Mt Critter the rabbits and horses had really stripped the place bare."

Rather you have to fill in lots of tedious details; stuff about yourself, what sub-paragraph of a section you disagree with and why in extensive detail.

Essentially the bureaucrats who design these things don't do them with ease of use in mind. They are full of gobbledygook and it's just too hard for ordinary punters to be involved. The process is effectively closed to anyone except for bureaucrats, lobby groups and tragic individuals who lack a life to the extent that they have 2 days to spare.

At least these community meetings are available. But will the P.V. commissars take notes on what people say or merely tell them to write submissions? The Melbourne one will be stacked out by the uncompromising ultra-hard-line-enviro types, but the others would be quite interesting to attend.

Sadly, the time of the meetings excludes most people that have a job, so I guess it's just retired and unemployed people that will be able to attend.
frown.gif

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan
I feel your pain Bogong.

Do not be discouraged, it is amazing what a very few people can achieve with a little persistence.

There will be a checklist of 'issues' somewhere on the website, then systematically address each one with your point of view. The bureaucrats will have a table with each issue on the left hand column and the possible views on each issue along the top. The game is to get as many people or groups as you can, to enter their views in their own words so the bureacrats can put ticks in each of the boxes. If you can't find how to put your views then ring up the contact person and ask them.

It is important to realise that one person counts as much as a 'group'. So the special interest groups you mention will get one tick and your's will get one tick. So as well as your special group, put your own submission in too. Get your Mum to put one in.

You should also remember that the Government and it's quangos are 'regulators' they don't actually manage anything, they set guidelines for the actual 'users'. For example if you think there is a feral animal problem, then find out who actually owns or controls them and suggest they need tighter regulation. The scariest thing for a regulator is when someone accuses them of letting something get 'out of control'. On the other hand if you are annoyed because Lake Mountain was closed during the recent dump then accuse them of 'heavy handed regulation' and the need to ease off a bit. Don't worry about it appearing contradictory, ticks in the right boxes are the important thing.

It only appears difficult and time consuming because you don't yet know how to 'play the game'.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Bogong - the NSW Koscki NP Plan of Management review a few years ago had some shockers in the draft regarding cutting back on access (esp for MTB's), tracks and other management issues. In the final, due, one can only imagine, to individuals responding in a calm, detailed and well presented and referenced manner, these didn't make it and we now have the only legal MTB in 'wilderness' in NSW, as one example. This type of issue was certainly contrary to the 'ban everyone and everything' crowd's view.

Some one like you with a brain, who can string two sentences together, knows the Park well, and keeps to the point, will make an excellent contributor.

Contribute.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
I was describing the difficulty of putting in submissions to bureaucrats generally. But I guess the most recent occasion was the Ben Lomond ski slope development plan (which is inside a notoriously obstructive national park).

I was keen to put in a modest, carefully worded submission, but they made it just too hard and time consuming. So while I have the two page long submission I wanted to make sitting on my computer, bending it into the format they demanded was just too hard and time consuming, so I never got around to putting it in.
frown.gif

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Read the above entries. I may be a bit busy to participate in such formal discussions but its good to know that papers are being delivered as i wander around covered in saw dust from the big Stihl.Note Camp Mulhe to heipad upgrade complete: wish some girls would fly in.Lower section must be ok as saw two monster 4x4 emerge. see yah. Good luck !!!!!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass