Alpine Resorts Startegic Plan (Vic)

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Here's one item of interest from the exec summary

Victoria’s alpine resorts are required to provide opportunities for experiences for people from varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and with different capabilities. This plan recommends the access, equity and diversity objective
be pursued at an industry level.

Availability of low priced accommodation opportunities is an important part of meeting this objective. At the expiry of any lease, existing policy provides for site rentals to be based on market rent. New provisions, arising out of this plan, will set out eligibility criteria for a discount for accommodation that meets access, equity and diversity objectives. The ARCC will consult with the Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) and alpine stakeholders to develop suitable eligibility criteria.

Last edited by a moderator:

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
From the full report - the last couple of pages:
6.4 Operational level challenges
The operational level is the domain of the ARMBs and of a
wide range of private sector businesses. ARMBs operate
within a diverse and complex environment. They have a
broad range of legislative and regulatory requirements to
fulfil and a diverse group of stakeholders, each with di…erent
aims and expectations. Lack of clarity in relation to policy
and tactical settings, as well as financial constraints, serve
to make the operational task di”cult. This plan sets out
a broad range of recommended actions across all three
levels – strategic (policy), tactical and operational – which
are designed to provide greater role clarity and to assist in
setting the directions for operational decisions by ARMBs
and other operators, both private and public.
A significant alpine industry concern is the rate of increase
in, and current scale of, ARMB costs and associated
charges. This is largely due to a lack of role clarity. A more
transparent approach to CSOs and clarity on breadth of
activities will improve accountability for several elements
that have contributed to ARMB costs. More broadly,
however, it is important in a public policy sense that ARMBs
are clear about what is in scope and what is not, in terms
of functions.
To this end, government expects that ARMBs
will perform those tasks that are required of a public land
manager acting under the Alpine Resorts (Management)
Act 1997. This will include relevant investment facilitation
and other tasks as set down in the Act. An ARMB will
only perform tasks that would normally be undertaken by
the private sector when (1) there is demonstrable market
failure with respect to such tasks and (2) their performance
is important for alpine resort goal achievement. ARMB
strategic management plans and corporate plans need to
demonstrate compliance with this position.

To illustrate this problem, section 3.2 indicated the importance
of improving the customer experience of an alpine resort
visit but, at present, there are some aspects of the customer
interface that are handled by ARMBs, some that are handled
by private operators and some handled by a mixture of both.
As expressed by the Australian Ski Areas Association:
No-one is responsible for the customer
experience from start to finish…Meaningful
improvements to the customer experience
can only be achieved by commercially
driven entities with the most to lose.
ARMBs will be required to continue to work constructively
with private stakeholders to ensure that a more seamless
visitor experience is achieved. ARMBs will only retain a
visitor experience role where there is demonstrable market
failure. As an example, a greater marketing role should be
undertaken by the private sector. Such measures will help
reduce cost pressures on ARMBs, with flow-on benefits for
user charges.
E…ective monitoring and reporting of roles and
achievements against actions in the Alpine Resorts
Strategic Plan, flowing through to ARMB strategic
management plans, corporate plans and KPIs, will further
assist improved role clarity and industry performance. To
assist the achievement of this outcome, annual Statements
of Expectations will be issued to individual ARMBs.
ALPINE RESORTS STRATEGIC PLAN 2012
These will encompass matters such as:
• annual reporting requirements, including uniform
financial reporting
• reporting on KPIs and on other matters set out in the
Statement of Expectations, which will initially be done
on a six-monthly basis and reviewed by DSE
• alignment of ARMB activities with this plan
• scope of activities undertaken, including justification of
those that compete with the private sector
• targets for the rate of cost/charge increase
• reporting details about programs to reduce costs
• role in, and contributions to, whole-of-industry programs
• measuring and reporting on CSOs, as defined by DSE
• strategic planning requirements, including alpine resort
participation in the VARDP. Where appropriate, joint
public/private submissions will be required under this
program
• reporting on how the alpine resort master plan
is reflected in its strategic management plan and
corporate plan
• community and stakeholder engagement, with a focus
on ARMBs working in partnership with lift companies,
other private stakeholders on-mountain and with their
broader regional communities and local government.
ARMBs will be required to report back annually to their
stakeholders and to hold public forums as part of the
corporate plan development process.
To help assure that performance pressure is maintained,
this plan sets a target of a 1 per cent average annual
decline in ARMB real operating costs for the plan’s duration
(included in the KPIs set out in Table 6.1 in section 6).
This, and other KPIs, will be set in annual ARMB corporate
plans that are approved by government. DSE will regularly
monitor performance against corporate plans and ARMBs
will be required to report annually on performance
So they have to cut their costs in real terms, and hand over stuff to the private sector
smile.gif

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
In direct contrast to that - on Lake Mountain it says:
Lake Mountain ARMB delivers everything on the mountain.
Its target is to double the average visitor spend by
increasing the range of product and improving packaging.
Section 6 considers the involvement of ARMBs in activities
that compete with the private sector
pointing to the RMB's conflict with DSE's goals. It's all irrelevant now, since they've handed it all over holus bolus to Belgravia Leisure.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
handing over stuff (ie oversnow)to the private sector is the last thing that FC needs. I'm hoping like hell that the internal tender wins.

the comments about being less involved in marketing and customer experience are interesting/concerning. At FC I think RMB is probably the only body really concerned with overall customer experience. Maybe the Chamber could be expected to do more but I can't see individual businesses taking on the role.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
I agree re marketing - it should be a responsibility of the RMBs, as it cannot be co-ordinated otherwise. Except when it goes overboard - like the LM marketing last summer and last winter (regular TV advertising) must have cost them a mint, but with very little ROI especially for their summer program.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Another major failing of LM that I can see is their 'package marketing' where they include resort entry, ski hire and lunch in a package, but do not give private operators the chance to compete - no discount for resort entry and no access at all to lunch vouchers. Further, the reluctance of the resort to declare 'chain days' because it means visitors have to stop at an off-mountain ski hire to get their gear. This jeopardises visitor safety IMO.

FlatLander

Addicted
May 18, 2002
teckel said:
I agree re marketing - it should be a responsibility of the RMBs, as it cannot be co-ordinated otherwise. Except when it goes overboard - like the LM marketing last summer and last winter (regular TV advertising) must have cost them a mint, but with very little ROI especially for their summer program.

But it reads that the RMB's will offload the marketing responsibility to save costs, not take a more active role.

This will have a big impact on the resorts that cant really get their stakeholder orgs united for a common goal. eg Hotham.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I don't recall that stuff on marketing in the draft or at the FC stakeholder mtg. Wonder where it came from. Spring st?

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
FlatLander said:
teckel said:

But it reads that the RMB's will offload the marketing responsibility to save costs, not take a more active role.

This will have a big impact on the resorts that cant really get their stakeholder orgs united for a common goal. eg Hotham.

Although if RMB was not doing it commercial reality could force those who operate business at the resorts to do it themselves.

FlatLander

Addicted
May 18, 2002
I find it intersting that....and i'm not trying to be negative as any improvement will be good, its just that-

The RMB's are tasked with all those parameters - increasing visitor numbers and satisfaction, increasing summer visitation, making the resorts viable, developing the land for the good of all Victorians etc etc etc.

Then over that you have the ARCC, which are there to pretty much oversee the implementation of the above, etc etc etc.

Now because thats not happening, there will be another level of Bureaucracy imposed above the current bureaucracy, to try and implement all of the above. I thought they were trying to reduce costs!!

If the other organisations arent delivering then maybe they should be looked at!

sfo

Hard Yards
Sep 8, 2009
anywhere there's snow
FlatLander said:
I find it intersting that....and i'm not trying to be negative as any improvement will be good, its just that-

The RMB's are tasked with all those parameters - increasing visitor numbers and satisfaction, increasing summer visitation, making the resorts viable, developing the land for the good of all Victorians etc etc etc.

Then over that you have the ARCC, which are there to pretty much oversee the implementation of the above, etc etc etc.

Now because thats not happening, there will be another level of Bureaucracy imposed above the current bureaucracy, to try and implement all of the above. I thought they were trying to reduce costs!!

If the other organisations arent delivering then maybe they should be looked at!

Yes, we should look into that. But where will a committee meet to decide what to call the new committee"? I vote for somewhere overseas.
smile.gif

FlatLander

Addicted
May 18, 2002
SFO that is a grand idea, well done old chap, now your getting the hang of it!!!

I vote for Sochi, because we can.

Name for the new committee hmmmmm...let me think... what about the 'Alpine Resorts Corective Cordinating Committee', or ARCCC for short!

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Any thoughts on a possible beginners down hill run at LM? As a cross country skier I'm a little concerned whether there taking the focus out of LM being a cross country (and snow play) resort. After seeing many tourists and newbies trying out the sport at LM I think this is something they need to continue for the sake of introducing more to the sport. Where would they put it? a considerable amount of vertical would be needed. I'm sure some trails would have to sacrificed. 

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
TeleXC - it would have to be in the orange area on VSG's map above, as that is the alpine resort. Nearly all the trails are in National Park (other than the trailhead) so they couldn't put lifts there. There is quite a steep section off to the west of the carpark (Gerratys) that may be suitable. There is also the possibility of using the summit area - again, that wouldn't affect XC skiing. Of course with Belgravia Leisure now running the show up there, who knows what they may do!

Edit: By VSG's map. the summit is also outside resort boundaries, so count that one out, unless they can get the boundaries extended. They may be able to do that seeing as they've been able to construct mountain bike trails all over the summit.

VSG, the XC trails are all to the north of Gerratys on an unnamed feature which is higher than the named peak Lake Mountain (summit) which is just south east of Gerratys.

It would also have to be reasonably close to Gerratys, as LM isn't on grid power and the diesel power generator is at Gerratys.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Ah ok, very interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Yes I do hope Belgravia Leisure look after the cross country side of it well. So the ski run would probably be the size of dinner plains? Seeing how much vertical they've got to play with

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
snow-pixie said:
From just below where it says Lake Mountain 1438 to where it says Orange

I had that map arse about
With the existing infrastructure you'd imagine they'd just run a lift up to Gerraty's

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Imagine the snow machines required for the run, the plan did mention investing more in snow making. I'm hoping that the trail head and the begining of echo flat trail is going to get snow making to form a base, the countless times I've had my skis scratched in the rocky slushy surface (even my little brother got a face full of mud tripping over the patches) its patchy even when snow condition are good on some of lower trails, snow shoes aren't helping either.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
The resort day centre infrastructures up the road a fair way VSG..I can't imagine they would build anything too far away
I'm thinking it might just be a couple of magic carpets anyway if anything

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Turns out dinner plain's beginner runs only 15m vertical, 140 is exciting. VSG, I thought your Mt Tourbreck plans were really cool, what potentials lake mountain got? Is there a potential for a few individual runs on that side of the slope? An access chair would be cool

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums