Alpine responsibility code- The resorts don't care

IceTea

Hard Yards
Dec 10, 2010
nsw
does anyone care about the ARC ?? i thought resorts were trying to be safety consious ??

went looking for it on thredbo's site and nothing. google only has a stale link to some pdf. nada. WTF?

Tried searching for it on perisher's site. No obvious links. Tried to put it in the search box ( when you can find it ) , but it won't even let you put the whole term in. If you go to the "snow safety" link under "resort information" it has a page that lists 11 items under the "mountain safety" heading. ARC is second last. Click the link and... nothing. It's near the bottom of the page, but i don't think many people will ever find it.

do other resorts do a better job ?? maybe its out of fashion.

sista

First Runs
Jun 7, 2008
They have it splashed on giant signs all the way up the lifts and all over the back of the lavatory doors so when you get out from behind your keyboard and go for a slide you can study it to your heart's content.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Yeah, on the Falls Express and Eagle lift towers...a standard ASPA lift tower sign from a couple of years ago, as well as in toilets and a heap of other public areas. Problem as I see it is that a fair proportion of the ski/board public elect to disregard what it says.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
smitty484 said:
stuff the code, ride fast and out of control.
Snowboarders !
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

agentBM

Part of the Furniture
Oct 27, 2000
Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
I love riding very fast almost on the brink of disaster headed straight towards learner sliders. I scare the crap outta them and then they realise I am faking for at the last moment, control is beautifully restored and so I go off laughing thinking those suckers don't even know that I am pissed. Then you see that lot who have been skiing for 25 years and still have to do work on their turns. FFS...bloody enjoy the time instead of being so serious because that's what I am doing when I ski straight at you and turn right beside to shower you in snow saying FFS stop being a wanker.....get a few schnapps into you, wash it down with some beer and get out there all gung-ho.

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
skidown said:
Thredbo site is now crap and couldn't find it easily

Can't find anything easily on that site
rolleyes.gif

I'll keep whinging until it changes
wink.gif

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
agentBM said:
I love riding very fast almost on the brink of disaster headed straight towards learner sliders. I scare the crap outta them and then they realise I am faking for at the last moment, control is beautifully restored and so I go off laughing thinking those suckers don't even know that I am pissed. Then you see that lot who have been skiing for 25 years and still have to do work on their turns. FFS...bloody enjoy the time instead of being so serious because that's what I am doing when I ski straight at you and turn right beside to shower you in snow saying FFS stop being a wanker.....get a few schnapps into you, wash it down with some beer and get out there all gung-ho.

IIRC someone got kicked out of the Canadian Olypmic in the 1980s team for doing exactly that.

Mils

One of Us
Jun 3, 2011
Gold Coast
agentBM said:
because that's what I am doing when I ski straight at you and turn right beside to shower you in snow saying FFS stop being a wanker.....get a few schnapps into you, wash it down with some beer and get out there all gung-ho.

Contradiction?

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
smitty484 said:
Srsly, what's with slow zones? If people want slow they should stay inside. I deliberately straight line it as fast as I can past all the lemmings

lemmings2.jpg

SNOW-STUFF

Hard Yards
Nov 14, 2006
Victoria
www.snowstuffpark.com.au
Re Toboggans... We are strictly enforcing Moulded Plastic Toboggans at the Park at Hotham... Why... because its the snowsafe guideline and also mandated by the Resort Management Board...

We are so busy explaining to people that their Aldi Snowsliders cannot be used...

Aldi needs to look at local guidelines before selling bull$it to people...

If I bought one and could not use it I would be pissed off too!

Hymie

First Runs
May 2, 2008
@Snow-Stuff, its the same story at all resorts re: the Aldi Snowsliders.
The ACCC or Consumer Affairs should by rights do the job for the consumers I believe.

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
SNOW-STUFF said:
Re Toboggans... We are strictly enforcing Moulded Plastic Toboggans at the Park at Hotham... Why... because its the snowsafe guideline and also mandated by the Resort Management Board...

We are so busy explaining to people that their Aldi Snowsliders cannot be used...

Most peeps use them outside the resorts. Seriously dude take a chill pill.
I bought 5 of the Aldi units. Have lent them to friends last week. They said they had a ball.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
SNOW-STUFF said:

thumbsup.gif
Aldi couldn't care about the consumer and the legality of the product they sell. Aldi just want the customers cash. As proof, a couple of years back, Aldi was flogging wood and steel toboggans - totally illegal in all Australian resorts, and so damned dangerous in Australian conditions where you may have 1000 people crowded onto one small toboggan slope.

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Do they allow the plastic ones with steering wheels ? The steerable ones are much better from my experience.

SnowFox_Red_L.jpg

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
bugger the alpine responsibility code, seems perisher don't really care about their own Lift usage policy
http://www.perisher.com.au/resort-information/snow-safety.html#lift_usage

#1 "obey all signage" almost never enforced. Just the other day one idiot unloaded from the Blaxland tbar in centre valley and didn't go left. he went right then stopped in directly front of me as i unloaded from the Wentworth tbar.
I called out to him to look out but he just looked at me, stood there and ignored me.
To save his worthless hide I actually had to fling the t to the side so it wouldn't hit him.
After that he moved down to his mate - who happened to be standing near my daughter. She heard them both of them abuse me for not apologising. Wish I had let the t hit him.
This all happened in front of the the lifty in his hut who did nothing.
This season i have noticed a greater reluctance for top station lift operators to leave their huts.

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
I spent a large part of my youths Christmas's in Europe on my grandparents farm. Built my own sleds, as did many of my friends.

Outside the resorts is fine for them. Those with vested interests, need to understand our skepticism at your comments.

Scare campaigns like this only causes me to reconsider my likely hood to trust you with our business.

sidetrack

One of Us
Apr 20, 2005
Sunbury
Those aldi snowslders are good fun. It's probably just the hire places that are getting upset because people can buy a cheap a instead of hireing it.

jt-ski

One of Us
Mar 23, 2001
Earth
Snowsafe

...never mind the entire industry website set up regarding the arc. Google is your friend.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
teckel said:
SNOW-STUFF said:

thumbsup.gif
Aldi couldn't care about the consumer and the legality of the product they sell. Aldi just want the customers cash. As proof, a couple of years back, Aldi was flogging wood and steel toboggans - totally illegal in all Australian resorts, and so damned dangerous in Australian conditions where you may have 1000 people crowded onto one small toboggan slope.

The only resorts that mention only being allowed to use plastic moulded toboggans are Selwyn, Buller and Hotham. Thredbo forbids tobogganing completly. Perisher and Falls limit where you can toboggan but places no limits on what you use. FWIW I would rather use a proper wood and steel toboggan as more controllable and can stop quickly by putting my feet down and pulling the runners up. The only way to stop a plastic tea tray is to dive off it.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
AstroSki66 said:
I spent a large part of my youths Christmas's in Europe on my grandparents farm. Built my own sleds, as did many of my friends.

Outside the resorts is fine for them. Those with vested interests, need to understand our skepticism at your comments.

Scare campaigns like this only causes me to reconsider my likely hood to trust you with our business.

Agree with this, only a slight vested interest.....

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Common sense is your best friend when talking safety, sadly it is not all that common.
Had some noobs squirreling all over the track from Gunbarrel to Merrits yesterday, stopping and blocking it off... They stopped at the top of the incline just before you join the run and left the smallest gap to get through to the left hand side. I took it (and stopping on a snowboard would mean unclipping from bindings), but called out - 'coming through on the left' - so they didn't move. The guy to the left of the group then put his poles into a wide tuck position without tucking and speared me right in the stomach.
He hadn't heard. But seriously... If you are going to shove a big pointy stick out behind you and wide, wouldn't you look first? Especially when every 2nd person on skis or a board was saying 'Move Bro!' as they went past them...
doh.gif
!!!

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
Lady Mamabear said:
If you are going to shove a big pointy stick out behind you and wide, wouldn't you look first?
I assume all skiers are going to try and poke my eye out if they get within reach and as such I try to keep out of their person space ie. 4m radius.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
BobGnarly said:
I assume all skiers are going to try and poke my eye out if they get within reach and as such I try to keep out of their person space ie. 4m radius.

I assume all snowboarders are out of control where there is ice - most of Thredbo and some of Perisher - and are going to take me out if I don't get out of their way. So much for the ARC and the person above giving way to those downhill. At least you hear them coming.

Mizu_Kuma

First Runs
Jul 10, 2012
Pretty sure that the code is also on all trail maps!!!!!

Pitty that they can't bring out the ACC (Alpine Commonsense Code)???? That should fix things!!!!!

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
I've always loved getting yelled abuse at for unintentionally turning across in front of people.... even though I'm the one who is obeying the code by skiing in control and giving way to those below me. It's very hard to avoid getting hit from behind when people are straight lining it to get to the front of the lift queue etc.

I'm pretty sure that some Ski Patrols have the right to take tickets from those deliberately disobeying the code. The ARC is displayed all over the place at Buller and Stirling and on the back of Buller lift tickets IIRC.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
almontyrat said:
I've always loved getting yelled abuse at for unintentionally turning across in front of people.... even though I'm the one who is obeying the code by skiing in control and giving way to those below me.

Same!

I have seen ski patrol confiscate tickets but a lot of the time they do not want to know. Irony is last year at Blue Cow the group my eldest was in including the ski instructor all got threatened with having their season tickets confiscated. There was no-one else on the slope and for them they were not going very fast.

sidetrack

One of Us
Apr 20, 2005
Sunbury
skichanger said:
almontyrat said:
Irony is last year at Blue Cow the group my eldest was in including the ski instructor all got threatened with having their season tickets confiscated. There was no-one else on the slope and for them they were not going very fast.

Thats one of my issues as well. If you ae the only one on the slope and its obvious that you can ski that should let you go as fast as you want.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
sidetrack said:
skichanger said:
almontyrat said:
Irony is last year at Blue Cow the group my eldest was in including the ski instructor all got threatened with having their season tickets confiscated. There was no-one else on the slope and for them they were not going very fast.

Thats one of my issues as well. If you ae the only one on the slope and its obvious that you can ski that should let you go as fast as you want.

Understand slightly where you are coming from but if the sign says slow you should slow down. If there is nobody on a road you are still not allowed to drive over the speed limit. Also, this is a key aspect of the ARC that the instructor should be modelling and setting an example with.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
I do find it interesting that none of the NSW resorts enforce the wearing of leashes on snowboards anymore.
I must be the only guy on the slope who still wears one, I wonder how many ski patrol realise snowboards don't have brakes like skis do?

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Nah, all the old school guys wear them.

When you can go flat out without scaring ski patrol or the instructors or lifties, then you pretty much get a license to speed. It's pretty awesome, but you have to be responsible with it.

It's all about being in control.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Hully said:
sidetrack said:
skichanger said:
almontyrat said:

Understand slightly where you are coming from but if the sign says slow you should slow down. If there is nobody on a road you are still not allowed to drive over the speed limit. Also, this is a key aspect of the ARC that the instructor should be modelling and setting an example with.

You should not assume they were doing anything wrong as I am not sure that there was a slow sign. The instructor was modelling and setting a good example. These kids were on their way to training in a Perisher Programme. It was probably first thing in the morning before the public had access to the area as well. It just makes the kids lose respect for authority when dumb things like this are done.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Nidecker said:
I do find it interesting that none of the NSW resorts enforce the wearing of leashes on snowboards anymore.
I must be the only guy on the slope who still wears one, I wonder how many ski patrol realise snowboards don't have brakes like skis do?
Funny how perceptions change.
I used to enforce the use of leashes in my family...I was horrified by the thought of snowboards hurtling down mountains on their own. Still am!!
But none of us use a leash anymore. We ride anywhere from 6weeks to 3 months a year across a number of resorts , northern and southern hemispheres. Six people. The youngest being 12. We have never had a runaway board. And the few situations where I can see it happening as the result of an accident, you wouldnt have the leash attached anyway.

I advocate a long style leash wrapped around the riders knee area for a beginner....just while they become familiar with what they are doing and how important it is to keep hold of your board.

Mizu_Kuma

First Runs
Jul 10, 2012
parkmonkey said:
Little Tiger said:
I've had a couple of close calls with boards flying downhill with no rider attached... someone needs to design brakes for those things!
Or just ban em.

The ski frat already tried that!!!!! Failed miserably!!!!!

Maybe they'd like to push through a bill to cull us boarders when they go for the WA shark one?????

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass