Alpine responsibility code- The resorts don't care

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Little Tiger said:
I've had a couple of close calls with boards flying downhill with no rider attached... someone needs to design brakes for those things!
Even if someone did, would anyone buy or use it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mizu_Kuma

First Runs
Jul 10, 2012
parkmonkey said:
Maybe just use poisoned snowboarders like fox bait? Two birds one stone?

Trouble is how you'd keep skiers away from them in the lift line!!!!!

Not sure if a warnin on the packagin would suffice?????

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
I'm talking to bait the sharks.
fishing.gif

parkmonkey said:
Little Tiger said:
I've had a couple of close calls with boards flying downhill with no rider attached... someone needs to design brakes for those things!
Or just ban em.

One of them some girl got separated from her snowboard in the trees... it flew past my head/shoulder area... we retrieved it from the trees further down and took it to ski patrol for the owner to recover from them...

I gather they just "spoke" to her... wish they had some system to give her a black mark so if they catch her again they know she already had one strike

mauricem

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2010
Sunshine Coast
One of the most dangerous things Ive seen: Pretty Valley twin chair instructor and kid may be 12 or so riding chair in front. Kid is banging skis together presumably to clear snow, and yep ski releases falling about 10 meters straight down narrowly missing group of skiers below.
IMO instructor should have been onto this as its pretty high risk

Note to self, dont ski under lift line, seems common practice here but is frowned upon elsewhere isnt it?

Mizu_Kuma

First Runs
Jul 10, 2012
parkmonkey said:
fishing.gif

Skier/Shark, both are unpredictable when it comes to knowin if they will be friendly or not, both have sharp pointy bits on them, with a look of death in the eyes when it comes face to face with the "other inhabitants" of its territory!!!!!

mauricem said:
One of the most dangerous things Ive seen: Pretty Valley twin chair instructor and kid may be 12 or so riding chair in front. Kid is banging skis together presumably to clear snow, and yep ski releases falling about 10 meters straight down narrowly missing group of skiers below.
IMO instructor should have been onto this as its pretty high risk

Note to self, dont ski under lift line, seems common practice here but is frowned upon elsewhere isnt it?

I would not let kids I ski with stop under a chair and we try not to ski beneath them for long.

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
parkmonkey said:
Under the lift line is thee best place for digme turns, just a perfect channel.
This^
The lemmings on the chairlift get to tune into Channel "Astro is Awesome".
biggrin.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Lady Mamabear said:
Nidecker said:
I do find it interesting that none of the NSW resorts enforce the wearing of leashes on snowboards anymore.
I must be the only guy on the slope who still wears one, I wonder how many ski patrol realise snowboards don't have brakes like skis do?
Funny how perceptions change.
I used to enforce the use of leashes in my family...I was horrified by the thought of snowboards hurtling down mountains on their own. Still am!!
But none of us use a leash anymore. ...................................just while they become familiar with what they are doing and how important it is to keep hold of your board.

It takes but a second for a board to get away from you, and there are often reasons "up the hill" to take off your board, I usually attach my leash to a tree, or my daughters/wifes skis if we are stopped on the mountain for coffee or food, probably one of those things that wont get looked at again until someone is hurt or killed by a runaway board. See boards get away from people every season.

My leash is wire and doubles as a lock, (it's got a bike lock built in) so it serves a couple of purposes for me.
smile.gif

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I agree a runaway board is a hazard, but if you are riding repsonsibly then there should be no more risk than a runaway ski.

Skis have brakes because when you stack it,they are designed to fall off. Snowboards stay with you...unless it is a seriously catastrophic accident and in which case a leash wouldn't help you either!

So when do we get runaway boards?

*If someone drops them when carrying them.
Leash is unlikely to be engaged anyway. Keep hold of the board and if you are concerned then take extra precaution. If I am hiking then I take a backpack that has snowboard straps and strap it to my back, if I slip, no lost board. If it is windy and slippery I have been known to use the Velcro strap at my wrist thru a binding for a little extra assurance.

*if you need to take your lead foot out on the mountain for some reason.
Coming out of an on mountain eatery, or bathroom, or just making adjustments. I had to do it today when my toe cap raised and pushed back high on the boot top. So you hold the board with your toe of the back foot on the stomp pad, the heel firmly on the snow. If it is sketchy, readjust until you are sure...

*when a resting unattended board runs away down the mountain outside an on mountain eatery or bathroom.
Sometimes not your fault. A kid walking to the restaurant slipped and fell the other day hitting a snowboard that was standing nose embedded in the snow. It popped out, and took off. Could have been avoided by a bit better placement of the board. Lay the board down, bindings down, wedged against some immovable object, away from the path. If ski racks are provided, use a lock and lock it to the rack, it won't be sliding anywhere.

*finally catastrophic equipment failure.
A mate of my sons lost a board riding a lift when his binding failed and released the board. A leash MAY have helped in that situation, but the majority are pretty flimsy. I do recall a ski with boot attached falling through the air and doing a ski run all by itself in Niseko a few years ago. So I reckon the odds of one or the other are about the same.

Boards used responsibly are not all that scary, and when I used the usual short leash the only situation it protected me from was catastrophic equipment failure, which has never happen to me or any of my mates/family, and that's over a lot f days riding.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I've seen a runaway board a couple of times after unloading from a heli. A board on its own can very easily get blown off by the rotor wash if not held down or tied up with other gear and slide a long way downhill. Not a danger to anyone, but very inconvenient when you are on top of a powder run.

Rimey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 28, 2010
The modest end of the Great Divide
Heinz, an aside.
A few days before your arrival in Tsugaike this year,
I saw a local kamikaze skier a few turns from iminent demise.
He had the big stack and not only lost the ski but the boot with it. Last seen making his way down with ski on one foot and sock on the other.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
laugh.gif
I've also seen people with their boots so loose that they dropped a ski with their boot attached from a chair.
Other problem with that is that ski brakes aren't very effective when the boot is still in the binding.

SNOW-STUFF

Hard Yards
Nov 14, 2006
Victoria
www.snowstuffpark.com.au
Hymie said:
@SNOW-STUFF, its the same story at all resorts re: the Aldi Snowsliders.
The ACCC or Consumer Affairs should by rights do the job for the consumers I believe.

Yep Hymie, I have told people with the sliders that they need to go back to Aldi and ask for their money back... they have 60 days anyway...

No one minds competition but its safety we are concerned with... Aldi sell a very similar copy to our Zipfy and we let that on the run, why, not because its from Aldi, because it complies with the safety standards being moulded plastic..

We opened up on the 1st of July and have had zero accidents in the park, because the toboggan slope is marshalled... The only accident that has occured is a lady on one the snowsliders, outside the park, in a claerly marked no tobogganing area that fractured her hip when she hit a rock on the Slider...

Aldi need to understand that they need to sell products that comply... There are a major lot of pissed off people out there and we are made to look like the bad guys!

Unfortuantley I think it is going to take someone who gets badly injured before Aldi listen... Hell, I have written to them with no response..

SNOW-STUFF

Hard Yards
Nov 14, 2006
Victoria
www.snowstuffpark.com.au
AstroSki66 said:
SNOW-STUFF said:
Re Toboggans... We are strictly enforcing Moulded Plastic Toboggans at the Park at Hotham... Why... because its the snowsafe guideline and also mandated by the Resort Management Board...

We are so busy explaining to people that their Aldi Snowsliders cannot be used...

Aldi needs to look at local guidelines before selling bull$it to people...

If I bought one and could not use it I would be pissed off too!
Most peeps use them outside the resorts. Seriously dude take a chill pill.
I bought 5 of the Aldi units. Have lent them to friends last week. They said they had a ball.

Yeah, I wish I could, but when I get sued because someone uses a toboggan that is uninsurable and hurts them self and I get dragged thru the courts because they used it in the defined toboggan area, I reckon I am going to need more than a chill pill!

I know they are fun but when you hit a branch or a rock at speed and rip yourself a new ar$e, I dont reckon that will be fun!

Anyway.. I know its a sore topic, so I am best just to keep quiet about it I guess!

SNOW-STUFF

Hard Yards
Nov 14, 2006
Victoria
www.snowstuffpark.com.au
sidetrack said:
Those aldi snowslders are good fun. It's probably just the hire places that are getting upset because people can buy a cheap a instead of hireing it.

Not saying they are not fun... We offer free use of the Toboggan Slope, bring your own moulded plastic toboggan and it wont cost you a cent... (after resort entry of course, which has nothing to do with us)

MarkGC

One of Youse
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2010
Northern NSW
On another ARC topic, I love how the ARC says no alcohol (not limit consumption etc) but every resort runs bars.

I am not advocating removal of bars, god no
eek.gif
, but I think they should tone down the wording of the rule if they want to continue selling booze and have us take the ARC seriously.

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
just foind a pic of the Aldi one on gumtree. Are they basically like a bodyboard with two handles? Just wondering in case any happen to turn up on Ben Lomond

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Saw some dude trying to surf on one of them on Friday Flat during the night sessIon...he stacked it hard repeatedly. I found it quite disturbing watching him flirt with injury like that.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Heinz said:
laugh.gif
I've also seen people with their boots so loose that they dropped a ski with their boot attached from a chair.
Other problem with that is that ski brakes aren't very effective when the boot is still in the binding.

Both Dh and the mogul skier have seen a ski with boot but no skier attached this season. On Sunday DH saw a beginner half way down the ridge chair minus one ski and boot. Ski was making beautiful turns and someone had a long walk with a cold wet socked foot.

qwill

not in the bunker
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2010
queensland
Mizu_Kuma said:
parkmonkey said:
fishing.gif

Skier/Shark, both are unpredictable when it comes to knowin if they will be friendly or not, both have sharp pointy bits on them, with a look of death in the eyes when it comes face to face with the "other inhabitants" of its territory!!!!!

agree, should cull the fat ones cruising in recreational areas
laugh.gif

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
arcPerisher1.jpg

Displayed on the V8 at Perisher. Numbers seem very low for the multitude of incidents you see. Top number at least should be higher.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass