1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Alpine way

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by AndyCrow, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

My work is a suppliment to this work. There are shared OEH officers between the projects, but I looked at the space between the road and the creeks, rather than the creeks themselves.

There wasn't an academic memory loss, and I've passed my data and results into this project due to academics contacting me, but I don't think the RMS remembered my work operationally, or when they decided to find this project add I've heard nothing from them since I handed my thesis to the RMS.

My work was hindered by a lack of fine data about how much salt was put on the road and when it was spread. Having that information will make significant conclusions much easier to draw. Note we just need someone to study the Botanical response to de-icing salts.

skifree likes this.
  2. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Cool - nice to tie it together :)

Telemark Phat likes this.
  3. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

@Telemark Phat im pretty sure my old man may have some (non Australian) data on this. He has done a fair bit of planning work in the stan’s and Canada.

I remember just before our trip to Canada I got an extended commentary on how quickly snow and ice melts due to the chemicals (not always salt) they use.

climberman likes this.
  4. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

There will be more times to catch up. Maybe even in Thredbo sometime :D

5. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Why have they gone away from sanding? Any de icing product will have a chemical input issue, and almost all of them are wildlife attractants to some degree.

6. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Still use basalt crusher dust looking grit.

7. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

Here are some more 'salt' links that may be of interest..........

https://theconversation.com/salt-do...-it-actually-makes-winter-streets-safe-110870

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2018/12/13/cutting-salt-winter-road-maintenance/

https://theconversation.com/road-sa...-but-what-does-it-do-to-the-environment-87860

The salt that is used by the RMS and Stadelmann Snow clearing in NSW comes from Kerang
    "recycled Murray River water" :)

Chaeron, teleroo and currawong like this.
  8. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Following on from a Facebook query - if someone is coming from the Albury/Khancoban side and transiting straight to Jindy, do the have to pay the $29 NPWS fee, or is there a system akin to Mt Hotham where you don't have to pay if you aren't stopping?

9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

as long as you don't stop in the park, you don't have to pay, from either side. we have done this many times.

Richard, Chaeron, sastrugi and 2 others like this.
  10. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Ahhh - the impression from the NPWS site is that if you enter, you pay. I couldn't see any comment about passing through

11. currawong

The Alpine Way is the fastest way for us the NSW south coast. even coming from Jindy, you just tell them that you are travelling through and they don't charge you. Also travelling with dogs is fine as long as you don't stop

Chaeron and nezumi like this.
  12. Snow Blowey

Lots of Icey stretches at present between leather barrel and DHG. Take it easy. A few cars abandoned and a minor accident yesterday arvo. Lots of wheel slip on the way up this morning.

Chaeron and AJS like this.
  13. AJS

AJS One of Us

Hi all would love your thoughts here - my Melb living bro is thinking about meeting me in Thredbo mid-late Jul and google maps have given Khancoban route at 6h 40m drive. I’ve heard it’s sketchy, so I’m wondering, is the road likely to be open/driveable (2WD, proficient snow/ice driver) that time of season, how much longer will it really take than google maps estimate and if you think he’d be better off taking Princes Hwy out past Orbost, Cann River, and up through Snowy River / Barry Way to come in the front way (7h 40m estimate) instead? For the record I’m flying to Cooma and getting a shuttle and he’d prefer not to have to fly (will be a last min trip if it happens = $$$) so picking him up CBR not an option.

14. Snow Blowey

It's typically a bit over an hour from khancoban to Thredbo. Worst case he fits chains and loses about 20 mins.

Ozgirl and currawong like this.
  15. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Choose the route on the day....

zac150 and Chaeron like this.
  16. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

It's not sketchy. It's just a road that experiences winter conditions. A lot more civilised than the Hotham road. Sealed, a few bendy bits and the possibility of unexpected slickness. Everything depends on conditions day to day.

Chaeron, Ozgirl and currawong like this.
  17. Donzah

It also depends what part of Melbourne he lives in.

nezumi likes this.
  18. currawong

Unless road conditions are appalling, alpine way will be quickest. Forget the barry way - it's a narrow dirt road which is a scenic adventure for good, dry conditions. Monaro hwy from cann river is possible but makes no sense. If alpine way is closed, the snowy mountains hwy ftom tumut is good, or elliot way from near Tooma. I still wouldn't consider any of these as good alternatives to alpine way.

gaz35, AJS and Chaeron like this.
  19. Donzah

I do Melbourne Jindy a little bit.
    I prefer Cann River

20. currawong

Fairy nuff.
    But barry way is not a sensible option for someone worried about the alpine way.

One good thing about the alpine way is that the distance from the tree line to thredbo is pretty short.

sastrugi likes this.
  21. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The Elliot way also has significant icy patches this time of year, and both the snowy mountains hwy & Elliot way will take considerably more time than going via Khancoban, even with chains.

currawong likes this.
  22. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The way he is suggesting, Orbost, Cann river, Bombala, Snowy river way, Barry way is 100% sealed and a completely good road. Quite a pleasant drive. Only involves around 5km on the Barry way coming into Jindy. This is a good option (especially from Eastern suburbs of Melbourne) if not the quickest. The road is not windy or snow or ice prone. Very quiet road from Cann river through to Jindy.

@currawong you are confusing this with the Barry way beyond Grosses plain, which is dirt and not sealed. I agree that would not be a good option.

23. currawong

Ah, missed that. saw Barry way and went WTF. thought he meant barry way beside the snowy river.

I said monaro hwy from cann river was an option. just a bloody long way around unless alpine way is closed or in atrocious conditions. I haven't driven either in bad conditions but would expect alpine way to be a doddle compared to harrietville approach to Hotham

24. Donzah

We left from Narre Warren area.
    Was quicker to go via Cann River .

Chaeron, AJS and currawong like this.
  25. AJS

AJS One of Us

That's the one I was referring to thanks! :) Turns out his car is an AWD (RS6) but really low profile etc so I was thinking the above route might be the best option as if if it's not blizzarding it's usually fine to do Jindy-Thredbo in an AWD without chains, vs Khancoban-Thredbo.

Chaeron likes this.
  26. AJS

AJS One of Us

Can confirm he will be coming from inner south eastern subs

27. teleroo

teleroo Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Will be interesting to see if "free transit for innocent passage" persists once the number plate recording cameras are activated to replace the toll booth pass purchases. There are cameras both sides of Thredbo on the Alpine Way, so they could clock anyone transiting and I guess enforce the park entry payment rule rather than the "parked" enforcement we currently have.

28. climberman

It will
    The road isn’t NP’s road
    It was excised from the Park and is the responsibility of TfNSW

dawooduck and Ozgirl like this.
  29. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Unless there is a major storm in the week beforehand, the Alpine Way in a 2WD should be absolutely fine after about 11am. I'd be allowing 7 hours from Melbourne if they haven't done the drive before and possibly a bit longer if they're a cautious driver.

30. currawong

Hotham has a number plate recognition system and is free for people transiting. I think there is a time limit. if you exit on other end within a certain time you won't be fined for not having a pass. If they catch you parked at Hotham you could still be fined.

31. Donzah

What frustrates me re Alpine way vs Cann River/Bombala/snowy river way.
    You've been driving for 6 hours ...and the most difficult part of the drive is right at the end.
    As opposed to coming up from Snowy river way. That road is fantastic... straight mostly and quick.

GS, Ozgirl and Chaeron like this.
  32. teleroo

teleroo Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

That would make sense. I was wondering how they would discriminate between passage and visit.

currawong likes this.
  33. Snow Blowey

It was ice central down there weekend before last at 3pm in the sun. Slipping all over the place in a AWD with decent AT tyres.

Saw two good tyre marks in the ice heading straight through some of those tight bends and a nice big fresh dent in the soil in the embankment.

Nothing sensible ice driving can't beat though.

sastrugi likes this.
  34. jabiru

jabiru One of Us

Thanks for the 'Reference Point ' Map reports are : " icy patches from the cascades to the wattles " but they are not marked on any maps , ok if you know the way ,, The Cann river way is longer but is fast , the 20 k north of Cann River is dangerous i reckon but after that especially when you hit NSW it flys nice wide road then over the Monaro . When i was last on the Alpine Way about 4 weeks ago i was very surprised to find a stock truck coming the other way , empty but with trailer , just near the loading ramp .. woke me up as i headed for the edge , he just ploughed through , be careful out there

35. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

Alpine Way is fine all winter these days. Early morning after rain you might find a few icy patches in shaded areas before Leatherbarrel Creek. Tight corners ........about 6 is all. Snow on road may be found from Loading Ramp to Thredbo (Loading Ramp to Siberia receives no salt on road ) chains sometimes advisable for 2WD vehicles. If your sensible about the conditions in front of you then its a pretty simple trip throughout ,good sealed road. I think they say its 75 minutes from KC to Thredbo for a sensible driver. Elliot Way would be your next choice but would add a fair distance and time to your trip only to confront the same possibility of snow on the road anyway.

Chaeron and AJS like this.
  36. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

The questionable part of the Alpine Way is such a small portion of the trip. Keep an eye on weather and cams right before trip time. Only need opt for the Barry Way option if it is snowing hard.

currawong likes this.
  37. Donzah

*not Barry way.
    Snowy river way.

Chaeron, Ozgirl and sly_karma like this.
  38. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Barry Way now that is a trip!Man u guys have gone really hard core recently !

First trip into Barry Way from the south ...thought I had disappeared in another parallel universe!

And a thing called the ladder on the map had me a little anxious!

But Team Bears say you are safer on the Barry Way than the Monaro...the other drivers are just as perplexed as you!

Gimp likes this.
  39. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Technically you could walk your dog in the road easement. Don't over think the Alpine Way access and drive. It's a doodle, albeit a winding one with a few tight corners, rock falls and a fair amount of wild life.

#89 dawooduck, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    currawong, skifree and climberman like this.
  40. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Oh this will be an interesting legal discussion re dogs on easement?
    Legs where are you for robust clarification on this dog situation?

41. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Nowhere. I have NFI, and no intention of finding out. It probably depends on the way the road was excised (if it was) and the terms of the excision. If, as Ducky says, it is an easement the owner is still entitled to exert their rights over the land provided the easement is not impeded. If that is correct dogs are still banned. Have I written "if" enough?

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  42. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Driving the Alpine Way in summer is a caravan of caravans, horse rigs, dogs on utes, campers. It's pretty busy down there these days.

43. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

Tell me about it..............oh yeah I forgot .....one of those utes with dogs in the back would be me :D

44. Snow Blowey

Good to take the Mrs out and give her some fresh air.

GS and BilbyBill like this.
  45. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

46. climberman

Seems fine - at least they are in their lane, not overtaking across double yellows around a blind corner.

currawong likes this.
  47. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

:whistle:

48. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

He clearly forgot to clear the snow from the car so was worried he would waste beer money on a fine, hence he wanted to clear the canopy .

49. Nordic Skier

Nordic Skier Hard Yards

Enormous long 5km stopped queue to get to Thredbo with full car parks. Interesting white, no names bus parking on the way up. 1hour to move 2km.

Chaeron likes this.
  50. Nordic Skier

Nordic Skier Hard Yards

Took 1.5hrs in queue to closed Thredbo. Just passed village access roads. Road open to Dead Horse Gap.

Chaeron likes this.