1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question American Airlines excess baggage question

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Neslot, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Neslot

Neslot One of Us

Hoping to fly to Syd > LAX return with American Airlines but can't work out whether or not there will be an excess fee. On the website it looks like it will be, but there is conflicting information.

Does anybody have experience with these guys?

2. jgm

jgm Addicted

1st & 2nd bags are free.
    Charges to / from Asia
    Region Bag 1 Bag 2 Bag 3 Bag 4+
    Mexico / Caribbean / Central America $0 $0 $200 $200
    Brazil $0 $0 $200 $200
    South America $0 $0 $200 $200
    Transpacific $0 $0 $200 $200

Skis + boots & helmet are treated as one piece

3. Neslot

Neslot One of Us

Though on their site the limit is:
    Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm

I called their customer support and they said it would be $200 each way which i find hard to believe.

4. jgm

jgm Addicted

It sounds like you got a dud agent. From their website:
    One pair of skis/snowboard up to 126 inches and one boot bag containing boots/bindings only and not to exceed 45 inches (length + width + height)
    The boot bag is a bit contradictory, as under cost they show:
    Your boot bag can be up to 45 inches (length + width + height) and must contain only boots/bindings, helmet and life preserver. If you put anything else in your boot bag, you’ll have to pay an excess bag fee. You may be asked to open your bag at the airport.
    I've never had an issue and have travelled to North America most years this century. My main problem has been weight, as they add the skis and boot bags, and we usually have to keep them under 23kg. When I travel with my partner, we use the double sportube with two pair of skis, 3 or 4 sets of poles and few odds & sods which brings the ski bag up to around 20kg. When we do this, we each pack our ski clothes into transpac boot bags, and pack a large suitcase. That counts as 2 pieces each. When I travel alone, I use the skis and boot bag combined as one piece, and the suitcase as the other. Most airlines now specify one pair of skis + boots + poles (some allow a helmet as well) count as a single item, but won't allow anything else in those bags.

I regularly see fellow skiers in Australia with ski bags stuffed with clothes as well, but I don't recall seeing many with separate boot bags as well. I surmise that they use the ski bag as one of their pieces, and carry boots and helmet in their suitcases if they can't fit them in the ski bag.

In either case, you shouldn't have a problem, but if you are still worried, carry a printout from their website. The applicable pages are 1. travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy under 1st & 2nd bags are complimentary (expand the And when travelling to these destinations tab), and 2. travel-info/baggage/specialty-and-sports (expand the skis tab).

If you are also flying domestically in the US as well, if you get the domestic and international flights on the same ticket, you will get your baggage free on the internal flights as well.