Advice needed ANA Oversized snowboard bag over 203cm

Discussion in 'Flights' started by protik, Jan 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. protik

protik Hard Yards

Hi guys, just wanted ask if anyone has recently flown with ANA with an oversized snowboard bag and if so what the experice was like? Did ANA measure the linear dimension and if so did you get charged if the bag was over 203cm?

As per the ANA site – linear dimensions shouldn't exceed 203cm. My Burton 162cm bag measures to be 220cm (166x33x21cm) so we have contacted ANA customer care on this. Was advised 1) we will need to make a reservation for oversized bags and provided the dimension at least 3 days before flight 2) for each international leg of flight will cost $200USD extra if total linear dimension is over 203cm.

We are flying in about 2 weeks and can't seem to find a bag/padded sleeve under 203cm at the moment. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

2. Neslot

Neslot One of Us

Whoops misread this. Maybe look at the Douchebag 2.0?

3. protik

protik Hard Yards

Hi mate, the total linear dimesnion of that bag still exceeds 203 cm: Width: 38cm + height: 18.5cm + length 158cm: 214cm. If you have the bag curious how you got it below 203cm? We are flying SYD to CTS and ANA mentioned we need to reserve space for oversized baggage in advance and inform the dimension. Cheers

4. Neslot

Neslot One of Us

Yeah sorry i'm mistaken. I'm in the same boat as you mate.

I was under the impression it was 203cm in length:doh:. When do you fly out?

5. Snowsaver

Snowsaver First Runs

Hi,
    We flew ANA on 6 Jan 2016 from Sydney with 3 ski bags.1 bag 176cm Snowboard bag and 1 -165 cm snowboard both with wheels and one unpadded bag 170 cm not very wide.No problems.We were a bit worried but checked in 3 hours prior -They were going to get tape measure but said it looked like under 200cm length.So it was ok.
    I got 3 different answers regarding sports "Ski Equipment".
    1.Phoned ANA was told could take 1 Bag and 1 Ski or Snowboard Bag Total dimensions 203cm (Our bags Were 207 and 211cm total linear dimensions)
    2.Called again and was Ski bag had to be under 203cm or have to pay USD 200
    3.At the airport staff referred to under 200cm in length
    We were a bit confused and didn't want to ask too many questions as we were glad to get the bags through.We packed our double ski bag in a duffle bag so we could transfer skis easily around Japan for 3 weeks.
    I think next time we wil go back to flying Jetstar as we just prebook extra wait and have flown 8 times with them and never had any problems.
    Wear cool clothing on ANA as flight extremely hot!,Food good leg room great.Inflight entertainment good.
    All in all it was a good experience with ANA but the worry about luggage is a bit of a problem.Enjoy your trip!

6. protik

protik Hard Yards

Jan 22! Not long to go now..

7. protik

protik Hard Yards

Thanks for the reply! I have same experience regarding the phone conversation over the phone. Will try to find a board sleeve under 203cm before our flight I guess.

8. Kieran

Kieran A Local

So here I am at NRT on my way home. Totally crap airport on multiple levels.

We had our ski bag (4 pairs of skis plus other paraphernalia) measured for HxWxL. Length was 182cm and they somehow managed to measure H and W at over 30 cm each by wrapping the tape measure around, for a total of 250cm... Nonetheless, no charge.

They also said that our 23kg bags could go to 23.9 with no probs and allowed us 24.2 on 2 of them as we shuffled stuff around. I think they just wanted to get rid of us...

As always, your mileage may vary.

K

bullet likes this.
  9. IZN

IZN Hard Yards

Bumping to see if anyone else had any experience with ANA recently.
    I am flying to Haneda with 3 mates on the 22nd. We could try to pack all boards in one bag, but it would be a major hassle.

10. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

My ski bag is going to be over 203.

Not much I can do about it

11. Neslot

Neslot One of Us

I'm just going to risk it - no other choice really as my skis are 194cm. I don't think anyone here has been done yet so maybe they are just waiving it, as is their policy if you bought your ticket post November.

12. azzski

azzski Should know better
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Check this thread for many people flying back and forth on ANA, and much discussion on it.
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/japan-deals-2016.70262/page-12#post-2880962

Long story short, as long as it comes under the new limit L+W+H you're probably safe, as long as you advised them you had an oversize bag in advance - and you're definitely safe if you booked after Nov 25. My 200cm long double ski bag is comfortably under that new limit.

Budgiesmuggler likes this.
  13. Funky

Funky One of Us

For what it is worth, I caught I flight out of Haneda on ANA last night. They measured (with tape measure) my double ski bag (douchebag), with 180cm skis in. I don't know the total size, but I'd put it in the 240cm+ territory. Booked before Nov 25.

No problems at all. Bag was accepted.

The bag was measured by the security / oversize luggage people though, not the ANA people. Not sure if there was a difference.

Flying out of Syd (on 30 Dec), they asked questions on size, but I bluffed my way through.

14. JamesK2042

JamesK2042 Hard Yards

I flew ANA out of Haneda on the 18th of Jan. Boardbag was a 165cm length and deemed acceptable, however, was charged 6000JPY for being overweight - bag weighed 26.5kg. Wasn't charged excess weight on the SYD>HAN leg though think was down to them being under-resourced. Haneda had plenty of staff with tape measures. Guy checking in next to me was also charged for being OW. (Oh - apart from check in - thought ANA 787 experience pretty good too and yes, no need for a blanket on that flight)

15. Funky

Funky One of Us

My ski bag would have been way way way overweight... noticed it was in part resting on the floor (and in a different luggage carousel). We did have to move luggage around within our other bags though.

16. tdc

tdc Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Just returned, was most probably just over length with a double ski bag at about 180mm, not measured in Sydney, but was in Haneda. They measured once across the middle (near bindings) and then again at the ends, would have been over, but didn't charge

17. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

I had exactly the same experience. Despite taking the tape measure to my 190cm long double ski bag AND not having advised them we would be bringing an oversized bag, ANA did not levy any extra charge for either leg of our trip. Nice airline!

18. silva

silva Hard Yards

We have just returned from Japan. ANA flights both ways. Board bags were measured but we ere not changed for being oversized. On the way home the board bag was definitely overweight but they were so busy measuring it they forgot to weigh it.

Funky and Lady Penelope like this.
  19. skully78

skully78 First Runs

Hi, just to clarify, when bringing a snowboard, this is in addition to my 1 piece of baggage allowance. Or do I need to add the board as an additional item?

20. silva

silva Hard Yards

Hi skully78. Check your baggage allowance. ANA Sydney - Haneda was 2 * 23kg bags per person for us. This means your board bag will count as 1 bag of that allowance.

21. skully78

skully78 First Runs

Cheers Silva. I checked my eticket and it says Baggage: 2PC.
    It was originally confusing as different booking emails had differing baggage allowances.
    So I guess I will be good to check in a suitcase + snowboard bag. And take a small backpack carry-on with me.
    Also I found here is says economy tickets issued after 8 Jan 2015 is 2 PC 23KG.
    Thanks.

22. silva

silva Hard Yards

All good skully78. Just make sure both bags are under 23kg and remember you need to be able to lug everything around at the other end.

23. azzski

One tip is to think about how you're going to get your suitcase and board bag up that escalator :)

24. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Yeah anymore than 23kgs is BS for baggage handlers etc.

25. travelislife

travelislife One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Last few trips we have been running with a fully loaded 32kg Douchebag, that has been fun on the subways of Hong Kong, Europe, Japan. Luckily haven't had any problems getting it to fit in a taxi with the 2 of us nor any issues with the airlines.

26. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Lucky indeed. I personally wouldn't fancy dealing with a 32kg bag. I am pretty sure some airlines have a 23kg per bag limit, which I can understand.

27. Donza

Donza Pool Room

That's just uncool IMO.
    23 kgs max
    I feel sorry for the guys hauling them.. in and out of aircraft

#27 Donza, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Heinz likes this.
  28. azzski

I've done the 30kg+ bag as part of a 80kg weight allotment between 2 people - 2 suitcases and one double ski bag. It gets a "heavy item" tag attached to it, and the guys (are supposed to) deal with it per their OH&S directives. Shouldn't really be a problem, check in staff don't seem to think it's an issue. It's certainly more sensible than needing two ski bags when one will do - for both me having to lug it around, and for the airline having to pack an extra bag away (and the inevitable extra volumetric space that takes up).

Horses for courses IMO.

29. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

80kg for 2 people!?

30. azzski

That was the allowance. We didn't get that close :)

My significant other is a heavy overpacker though. I'm not great with it myself, but I was put to shame.

31. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I just did three weeks on Hokkaido with a day pack for hand luggage that included my boots and helmet and a Douche Bag Slimjim single ski bag for skis, poles and clothing. All up a bit over 25 kg (checked and hand luggage combined). I don't understand why people take so much stuff, there are washing machines in Japan.....

Donza and Heinz like this.
  32. azzski

Laziness is a factor I'll admit. I didn't come halfway around the world to do multiple loads of washing!

Ozgirl likes this.
  33. Donza

Donza Pool Room

The only thing I pack multiples of is undies and tee shirts.
    other than my snow gear... what I wear on the plane is what I take

almontyrat likes this.
  34. travelislife

travelislife One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

That is 2 persons worth of ski gear. 2 x skis, boots, poles, helmets and outwear. I always check before booking with the airlines and actually haven't had to worry about it at all.

It actually works really well, because we usually have some beach time either before or after in another country we then don't have to bother touching the DB until we get home.

Just following the rules that are set for OH&S reasons.

35. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I'm just not a fan of inflicting 32kg bags on people , that's just my stance...regardless of rules.
    *disregarding the fact I hurt my back with a 21kg bag cause the oversize guy at sydney airport was a lazy shit.

36. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Snow gear takes up a lot of space and weight - skis, ski boots, poles, helmets, gloves, snow boots, ski clothing. At the end of our last trip we did a repack to condense our bags. All our clothing, minus ski gear, fitted into ONE checked bag ! That's two adults and two kids worth of winter clothing in ONE checked bag.

Skiing, so much gear for just one sport.

37. blutek

blutek One of Us

we have 66kgs checked & 2 carryons (20 days).

#37 blutek, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  38. Donza

Donza Pool Room

all my clothes fit in my carry on
    This trip 3 people will be two board bags.... around 44kg and 3 x carry ons.
    for a month.

39. Funky

Funky One of Us

Packing is a skill that is learnt and you have to do regularly.

I've travelled around the globe for 6 months in both hot and cold climates (even carried some basic ski gear so I could go skiing for two days mid trip) with a -20 rated sleeping bag and the whole thing weighted <15kg (12 IIRC) but I also didn't have to buy anything.

The last trip to Japan in Jan I thought I packed light and despite cutting down on heaps before it went in half didn't get used. Ok, with two youngish kids my missus was super on top of doing washing.

40. hatto

hatto One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Just had a quick bopeep at flights for next season. ANA look as though they might keep things competitive.
    Ex Syd - depart 28th Dec16 - Ret 27th Jan 77160yen or $995.00