Another 4WD vs AWD article from USA

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Why do you keep harping on about this 4WD/AWD stuff? Your beloved Alpine Resorts Regulations that you've posted on here and have had considerable input and influence in regarding chains has this definition,

"Division 2—Wheel chains in alpine resorts
23 Definitions in this Division
In this Division— 4 wheel drive vehicle includes an all-wheel drive vehicle"

End of argument.....unfortunately some RMBs continue to make different directives for AWDs in direct contravention of the definition in the regulations under which they operate.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
A proper 4wd spotted today. They dont make a real man's truck any more.

20210904_180644.jpg

20210904_180706.jpg

Reactions: skifree

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
This is the right analysis.

Bottom line: the choice between AWD and 4WD should largely be based upon a driver's preference, the type of driving they will do, and what the terrain is like where they live. For example, 4WD is better for drivers living in remote areas or who enjoy off-roading, while AWD is better for drivers living in more crowded cities and stick to paved roads.

There is the odd 4WD owner / driver who can't quite grasp this.

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
A proper 4wd spotted today. They dont make a real man's truck any more.

20210904_180644.jpg

20210904_180706.jpg
No, that is a proper rear wheel drive that has the option to engage the front wheels and lock the hubs.
Handles like a skateboard on an ice rink on an icy snowy road until you lock in the diffs and 4WD .
My Volvo XC70 has all wheel drive and snow tyres. Is the perfect vehicle for icy snow covered roads.,cant lock the centre drive shaft however it tourque senses the slip at the wheels and delivers drive as required.
My VW Toureg also drives all wheels and delivers tourque where required however it is permanent all wheel drive and has low range and diff and centre drive shaft locks.
Both of these vehicles are better than the Landcruiser in your photo.
I sold my FJ cruiser for this very reason.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
No, that is a proper rear wheel drive that has the option to engage the front wheels and lock the hubs.
Handles like a skateboard on an ice rink on an icy snowy road until you lock in the diffs and 4WD .
My Volvo XC70 has all wheel drive and snow tyres. Is the perfect vehicle for icy snow covered roads.,cant lock the centre drive shaft however it tourque senses the slip at the wheels and delivers drive as required.
My VW Toureg also drives all wheels and delivers tourque where required however it is permanent all wheel drive and has low range and diff and centre drive shaft locks.
Both of these vehicles are better than the Landcruiser in your photo.
I sold my FJ cruiser for this very reason.
Zzz

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I bet I can get a Landy somewhere that I would break your Toureg trying to get to.

But if you don't go those places, the Landy is a shit vehicle (as it is for 70%+ of its standard use).

Protip, if you cant hose it out, its not a 4WD.

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
I bet I can get a Landy somewhere that I would break your Toureg trying to get to.

But if you don't go those places, the Landy is a shit vehicle (as it is for 70%+ of its standard use).

Protip, if you cant hose it out, its not a 4WD.
Yup, I bet you could. My cheap $500 Toureg will go a lot of places it wouldn’t go if it cost more. Plus, you can hose it out. It’s got rubber mats and there are rubber bungs in the Floor.
It’s a far better drive on the roads going to the ski resorts and up dirt roads than most.

Reactions: telecrag
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass