Another bloody sleeping bag thread!

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
My feet dont get cold
Add on some of their down hut booties to your order.
Removable shells so they convert to toasty clean down sox to sleep in.
Recommend
My feet dont get cold . Foot boxes always cook my feet ( even when its very cold ) to a point where it gets really annoying and im hankering for a dual directional zip to stick my feet out.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
My feet dont get cold

My feet dont get cold . Foot boxes always cook my feet ( even when its very cold ) to a point where it gets really annoying and im hankering for a dual directional zip to stick my feet out.
So I'm guessing this is why Mont bags actually sell well. There being people who need this feature.

NeoSamurai

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2002
If I retrace my steps I can probably find it.
About to pull the pin on a WM Versalite bag for the +1. But Paddy Pallin just don't stock/sell them in small though - what to do? I'm in contact with WM discussing this. From my understanding and reading all the good reviews was that WM seemed conservative in their temperature ratings - but legend (who's opinion I respect) has me now thinking otherwise.

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
About to pull the pin on a WM Versalite bag for the +1. But Paddy Pallin just don't stock/sell them in small though - what to do? I'm in contact with WM discussing this. From my understanding and reading all the good reviews was that WM seemed conservative in their temperature ratings - but legend (who's opinion I respect) has me now thinking otherwise.

Hermits Hut in the US will ship out WM products. They overstuff them as well which helps bring them up to a more appropriate fill IMO.

WM make great bags for sure. Their fill weights aren’t conservative though. They are JUST enough.

Have a look at how Nunatak stuff their bags and quilts to get an idea of conservative temp ratings. They are the gold standard.

NeoSamurai

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2002
Sleeping bag lesson learned today: When your 20yr old son/daughter asks if their friend can borrow one of our down sleeping bags for the big Easter alpine 4WD trip and 'it would be looked after' - the correct answer is a firm "No - they may not". Said bag came home *covered with vomit/dirt/beer. Spent most of this morning cleaning it in the bathtub - currently now soaking in NikWax. (Lucky it was not one of my good bags!)

*I slightly exaggerated there for effect.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Sleeping bag lesson learned today: When your 20yr old son/daughter asks if their friend can borrow one of our down sleeping bags for the big Easter alpine 4WD trip and 'it would be looked after' - the correct answer is a firm "No - they may not". Said bag came home *covered with vomit/dirt/beer. Spent most of this morning cleaning it in the bathtub - currently now soaking in NikWax. (Lucky it was not one of my good bags!)

*I slightly exaggerated there for effect.

I see my down bags as a investment and only lend out to the Chief of staff and my son. As he gets to the age where he might end up "lagging" it or messing it up - then this privilege will also be withdrawn...

NeoSamurai

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2002
PegSki - just to be clear we have 3 levels of down sleeping bags here.
+Gold$$$ standard goosedown bags (x2) - no one uses them except me - those are the 'investments' you speak of.
+Bronze$ standard goosedown bags (x4) - family 700+ fill bags (Still VERY warm/verylofty - but too bulky/heavy for hiking/skiing)
+Retired bags that I can't bring myself to part with. (including my 1979 Paddy Pallin Bogong bag - my first bag that I saved up for when I was 14yrs old)

It was one of the Bronze ones that I lent out. (Finally finished washing/rinsingx5/drying it today)

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
PegSki - just to be clear we have 3 levels of down sleeping bags here.
+Gold$$$ standard goosedown bags (x2) - no one uses them except me - those are the 'investments' you speak of.
+Bronze$ standard goosedown bags (x4) - family 700+ fill bags (Still VERY warm/verylofty - but too bulky/heavy for hiking/skiing)
+Retired bags that I can't bring myself to part with. (including my 1979 Paddy Pallin Bogong bag - my first bag that I saved up for when I was 14yrs old)

It was one of the Bronze ones that I lent out. (Finally finished washing/rinsingx5/drying it today)

;);):):)lol

Yes indeed. I've only got 2 Marmot bags, to be fair they don't cop too much use.
When we've gone '2-up' in a tent (excuse the term) I recommend he sleeps in clothes, so as he doesn't get all his lurgies, sweat, crap, snot and mud in it.

I'm such a tightarse.

PS forgive all the lurid terminology, I'll probably get all sorts of hate.

Reactions: NeoSamurai

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic

)

A few years back I was given an original Arthur Ellis Fairydown Everest Entrant bag that has literally been used on about 5 nights. Beautifully made bag but realistically it's probably only good for very cold car camping. What else does one do with old bags still in great condition?

PXL_20210419_093354195.jpg

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Ha, I lent an old bag to my niece for some winter school trip thing, and it never made it back. Still have its twin, 30yo One Planet as a car camping bag.

Had an old PP one too @NeoSamurai with the waxed cotton, inherited off the old man, but it got nicked out of my old soft top Vitara years ago down the coast, I hope it made a homeless persons life better for a while.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
A few years back I was given an original Arthur Ellis Fairydown Everest Entrant bag that has literally been used on about 5 nights. Beautifully made bag but realistically it's probably only good for very cold car camping. What else does one do with old bags still in great condition?

My 21st birthday present was a Fairydown sleeping bag. Still have it a number of decades later :thumbs:

Reactions: whether and GS

NeoSamurai

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2002
Thanks Zap - I'd heard about Hermits Hut but just assumed all US stores were under the same WM 'agreement'.

Heard back from Hermits Hut this morning. Thanks again Zap - a very good outcome albeit a 2month wait (due Covid backlog) as the bags are made to spec. in the WM factory with the extra down overfill. Also heard back from WM clarifying the EN13537 standard comfort rating of the Versalite.

Reactions: ecowain and zapruda

NeoSamurai

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2002
Ordered/paid for the Western Mountaineering Versalite (+10% overfill) from Hermit's Hut back in early May. Now Nov5th and still waiting! (I have been in contact with HH throughout) Hermit's Hut (always fabulous) today have kindly offered me a full refund and advise that WM are currently just not taking any orders from any stores until further notice.

WM apparently are also having supply issues with bits/bobs to manufacture many products.

Last edited:

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I’ve heard that with some fabrics, one element might be hard to get, and with backed up orders, some products are a couple of years lead time min. Anyone starting up is looking at ten years.

Tech gear going to be as hard as bike stuff to get.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Ordered/paid for the Western Mountaineering Versalite (+10% overfill) from Hermit's Hut back in early May. Now Nov5th and still waiting! (I have been in contact with HH throughout) Hermit's Hut (always fabulous) today have kindly offered me a full refund and advise that WM are currently just not taking any orders from any stores until further notice.

WM apparently are also having supply issues with bits/bobs to manufacture many products.

Can you ask for a refund and buy a local bag and have it modified to your liking?

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I have 6 OS orders since early August - so far only 2 have (only just) arrived - Nov! One $$$ from 7th August I’ve been eagerly awaiting - and still waiting! (Not to mention the Versalite from May!) All except 1 I paid for expedited shipping.
Been waiting for an item purchased in August from Germany- same story! The only good bit is knowing that with delays so widespread there’s less probability that’s its gone forever, and more likely that it will actually still arrive!

malas1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 1, 2015
In defence of hermits hut I ordered a WM Badger when Neosamurai posted they deliver to OZ . They let me know there were supply problems but I only waited a couple of months.
Better luck next time neosamurai

NeoSamurai

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2002
In defence of hermits hut I ordered a WM Badger when Neosamurai posted they deliver to OZ . They let me know there were supply problems but I only waited a couple of months.
Better luck next time neosamurai
Yeah - Dan told me at the outset (early May) that it would be about a 3month wait for my WM order to be shipped - that was fine. It's now Nov(!) - but Dan's been honest, friendly and upfront the whole time and has offered a full refund each time I call - can't complain about the service at Hermit's.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I hope so. I just read on the USPS website all shipments/mail to Australia are suspended until further notice - regardless of delivery category. (@Nov'21)
I have paid for and ordered an electric guitar ( G & L Stratocaster) from the USA in Sept. 2021. I won't see it until Sept 2022 at the present rate.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014

If you ever decide to sell it I would be interested if the price was right; being a cold sleeper and needing a bright Orange bag for car camping.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
If you ever decide to sell it I would be interested if the price was right; being a cold sleeper and needing a bright Orange bag for car camping.

Haven't decided what to do with it, was planning to try it when car camping in very cold conditions....obviously haven't had a chance in the last two winters

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass