another cheap way to Queenstown from SE Qld

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Jetstar having a sale OOL/WLG & OOL/CHC aud$216 rtn for most of ski season (21July-16Sep) add $50 for 20kgs checked luggage.

Then can get from say WLG/ZQN from NZD$84 & back from NZD$93.

Catch is can't get to WLG early enough to get flight back to OOL same day, so at least 1 night at WLG required.

For flights in & out of CHC, they arrive late from OOL & depart early, so CHC would required 2 night stay min.

Still much cheaper than anything else out there.

Jetstar sale ends Mon 25 May at 11.59pm AEST or when sold out.

We don't sell this, but some accom providers in Queenstown are having a really rough winter with awful forward bookings, so just trying to give them a hand.

You really have to wonder why Jetstar is so keen on having some many trans-tasman flights out of OOL rather than BNE. Yes the charges are less, but the population is in BNE.

VA/NZ have a virtual monopoly on BNE/ZQN with up to 10 nonstop a week, whereas Qantas has doubled to 2/week & no one else.

For those who don't know, VA & NZ don't compete over Tasman they codeshare everything now with their very dodgy alliance.

Last edited:

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Many flights into NZ these days don't just cater for the ski crowd over winter.....they make more with people transiting to the pacific Islands, so I see why they have so many flights. We found most of the flights were solidly booked last winter but not with skiers...people going home to to the Pacific and holiday makers looking for sun. Also a heap of people in transit to/from South America.

Reactions: Donza
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Many flights into NZ these days don't just cater for the ski crowd over winter.....they make more with people transiting to the pacific Islands, so I see why they have so many flights. We found most of the flights were solidly booked last winter but not with skiers...people going home to to the Pacific and holiday makers looking for sun. Also a heap of people in transit to/from South America.
those connecting onward 99% of the time do so at Auckland, not Wellington(WLG) or Christchurch(CHC). Apart from flights to OZ, the only international flights to WLG & CHC are roughly once a week to Fiji & Singapore flights ex CHC.

This may change with more flights from Asia to CHC, although the low cost airlines Air Asia X, Scoot & Cebu Pacific may route all flights to NZ via OZ, which may reduce trans-tasman airfares. Now all we have to do is get rid of the ridiculous taxes. Think it's about AUD$150/adult OZ/NZ return.

craighelo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 26, 2012
Tarras
those connecting onward 99% of the time do so at Auckland, not Wellington(WLG) or Christchurch(CHC). Apart from flights to OZ, the only international flights to WLG & CHC are roughly once a week to Fiji & Singapore flights ex CHC.

This may change with more flights from Asia to CHC, although the low cost airlines Air Asia X, Scoot & Cebu Pacific may route all flights to NZ via OZ, which may reduce trans-tasman airfares. Now all we have to do is get rid of the ridiculous taxes. Think it's about AUD$150/adult OZ/NZ return.
Don't forget the new NZ taxes $16 arrival and $6 departure from yesterdays budget

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Don't forget the new NZ taxes $16 arrival and $6 departure from yesterdays budget
think it's planned to be introduced next year, but lots of vocal opposition as it will mess up price points a lot, at a time, when NZD$ is stronger against AUD$, so double whammy.

Tiger Australia reported that a $2 difference in airfares can make a huge difference to demand. Maybe $99 cf. $101.

Draizuh

One of Us
Jul 29, 2012
Wakatipu
www.splitboardnz.com

OOL is an operational hub for jetstar. Dont forget those of us that live in queenstown dont want to spend all our time here and plenty of people that live in queenstown hate winter and dont ski. ZQN > OOL >NRT is a pretty nice little flight, quiet cheap in the winter time too..

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
JQ has put on lots of new & reintroduced flights ex OOL to NZ.

Last time they did OOL/ZQN nonstop about 6 years ago think it was, it was twice a week & a financial disaster. This time they've gone for 3/week, but still not doing any out of BNE. Weird decision. Might cost someone their job at JQ.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
there are now some deals into CHC on selected dates in ski season from SYD & MEL but some shitty arrival times around midnight.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Thats nice, the point we are making I guess is that it sounds like one travel agent, talking to another. Just something to think about as feedback.

Reactions: Normo and piolet
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Normo

Mostly Harmless
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2011
Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
it's posted so people with few $$$ can still get to Queenstown.

If they're not interested they don't have to read it.

We read stuff on the forums and then decide whether or not it is interesting. We then get to comment on the content. It's the way it works around here.
Some folks here are trying to suggest that your posts could be a little more entertaining.
If you can't take a hint or eleventy-seven........ remain boring.
:thumbs:

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I would think most people are not interested in the complexities, more in the price, and travel time. Bit of humour never goes astray.

Reactions: Normo

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
I've stayed out of the slanging matches with David Andrews, but having caught up with the fun of the 2 locked threads over the weekend I thought I would look up the company website... have you all seen it?

http://kisstravel.info/

Interesting....

gettingtooold

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2012
geelong
I've stayed out of the slanging matches with David Andrews, but having caught up with the fun of the 2 locked threads over the weekend I thought I would look up the company website... have you all seen it?

http://kisstravel.info/

Interesting....
Think they need a new web page designer. It's too busy IMO. Lost the content in the distractions. Didn't bother reading most of it.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
[QUdon'tTE="gettingtooold, post: 2641373, member: 62613"]Think they need a new web page designer. It's too busy IMO. Lost the content in the distractions. Didn't bother reading most of it.[/QUOTE]
We dont even a website. Used to use it as extension of press ads but press has died. Most of our business comes from repeats/referrals. Cater to big chunk of legal/medical fraternity.

doubt if skimax or travelplan get much bus from websites.

Our clients just want to talk to someone who knows their stuff. Most staff head to usa/canada for 3 weeks + every northern winter.

we don't even publish phone numbers just voice mail. Clients have emergency numbers if needed.

David

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
[QUOTclientstelecrag, post: 2637615, member: 15881"]I would think most people are not interested in the complexities, more in the price, and travel time. Bit of humour never goes astray.[/QUOTE]
Many clients even law firm partners with tribe of kids & million dollar plus mortgages want to know about cheaper options not just to nz.

not going to mention cheap deal we don't even sell withoutthe catch

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
Since I brought up the website I will wade in (even if I know it will be pointless)....

1. That is your website, correct?
2. Fair enough if most of your business is repeat business. But you would also accept new business, correct? (This must be yes otherwise you wouldn't advertise deals on here).
3. Assuming both of these answers are yes - in this day and age websites are very important. I would not personally (and I am sure I am not alone) book through an agent whose website is not up to standard. It makes them look unprofessional. In the same way I would not sell my house through a real estate agent whose website looked unprofessional. Even if you are then conducting business by phone, to draw people in a decent website is paramount.

http://www.skimax.com.au/
http://www.travelplan.com.au/

I know nothing about these companies as I don't need to use them - however, their websites are very attractive and so I am not immediately put off.

I am sure your business has done very well over the years but I echo other people's sentiments that the way you conduct yourself on here will never get any business from here. The website certainly needs addressing as well. Just my opinion which I am sure will be ignored, but there are a lot of intelligent people on here who may (believe it or not) be able to help your business through their knowledge and experience, both in skiing and in business.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Must be coming close to verbal spamage, and I mean every thread/comment. Simply because he's identified as a commercial member doesn't mean it should be allowed or is it for our amusement, because it is pretty funny.

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
Must be coming close to verbal spamage, and I mean every thread/comment. Simply because he's identified as a commercial member doesn't mean it should be allowed or is it for our amusement, because it is pretty funny.
Yeah I find it highly entertaining, but I ski in Europe and post in there which he stays well clear of. If I was starting a thread in USA or NZ and then get bombarded by him it would get pretty annoying...

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Sales people get a bad rap......................by those that give them a bad rap.

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
Having seen his website I now understand what's going on in here.

He's simply pasting the gibberish from his website as responses to every single thread here.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Since I brought up the website I will wade in (even if I know it will be pointless)....

2. Fair enough if most of your business is repeat business. But you would also accept new business, correct? (This must be yes otherwise you wouldn't advertise deals on here).
3. Assuming both of these answers are yes - in this day and age websites are very important. I would not personally (and I am sure I am not alone) book through an agent whose website is not up to standard. It makes them look unprofessional. In the same way I would not sell my house through a real estate agent whose website looked unprofessional. Even if you are then conducting business by phone, to draw people in a decent website is paramount.

I know nothing about these companies as I don't need to use them - however, their websites are very attractive and so I am not immediately put off.

I am sure your business has done very well over the years but I echo other people's sentiments that the way you conduct yourself on here will never get any business from here. The website certainly needs addressing as well. Just my opinion which I am sure will be ignored, but there are a lot of intelligent people on here who may (believe it or not) be able to help your business through their knowledge and experience, both in skiing and in business.

lots of home based agents have no website at all & that's ahuge ggrowth area.

anyway topic is about how to get to queenstown cheaply

Research101

Hard Yards
Jun 7, 2014
I talked to these guys a few years ago about airfares to the US and didn't get a good vibe ( in Darwin then )
the website gave me the same vibe
you gotta trust where you put your hard earned

but I guess they are still around ??

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
Yep.....been around for 30 odd years...., apparantly.
Slow learners, perhaps.
:)

Yep knew my post would be pointless but thought it was worth a crack.

And David - you said the thread is about how to get to Queenstown cheaply. It is really about getting people to fly to Queenstown through your company. People are trying to give advice on how better to achieve that goal.... but it seems you don't need that help! Good luck.

Reactions: craighelo and Normo

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Yep knew my post would be pointless but thought it was worth a crack.

And David - you said the thread is about how to get to Queenstown cheaply. It is really about getting people to fly to Queenstown through your company. People are trying to give advice on how better to achieve that goal.... but it seems you don't need that help! Good luck.
We say again,

WE DON'T SELL FLIGHTS TO NZ, as there's absolutely nothing in it. We know some people over there who are hurting big time, as forward bookings for winter are just awful.

We want people to ski anywhere, as it's good for the industry.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
I talked to these guys a few years ago about airfares to the US and didn't get a good vibe ( in Darwin then )
the website gave me the same vibe
you gotta trust where you put your hard earned

but I guess they are still around ??
sounds like you've been watching THE CASTLE too many times.

So are you saying we should close down the website ? Might do just that.

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
sounds like you've been watching THE CASTLE too many times.

So are you saying we should close down the website ? Might do just that.
Well as Normo says, a much better option would be to improve the website, but failing that, I would say that no website is better than the one you currently have. People will take one look at it and not book with you.

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Well as Normo says, a much better option would be to improve the website, but failing that, I would say that no website is better than the one you currently have. People will take one look at it and not book with you.
you seem to think we are trying to find clients if they do searches online. We're not.

We do ask for & get referrals from many of our lawyer & medico clients. That keep us very busy & they generally aren't worried about spending money as most seem to be writing ski trips off as a tax deduction (attending "conferences etc.)

Normo

Mostly Harmless
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2011
you seem to think we are trying to find clients if they do searches online. We're not.

We do ask for & get referrals from many of our lawyer & medico clients. That keep us very busy & they generally aren't worried about spending money as most seem to be writing ski trips off as a tax deduction (attending "conferences etc.)

So why are you bothering to annoy people here?

Reactions: DVP

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
So why are you bothering to annoy people here?
An interesting question.

So if I am reading this right, you advertise on a forum which you don't want business from, via a medium which you don't see as relevant for your business (the internet). Your business is selling very cheap fares to clients who are so wealthy that they don't need the discount?

Again, I am not attacking, I just find the whole thing intriguing.... I would imagine your wealthy clients would have PAs who would use the internet would they not?

Research101

Hard Yards
Jun 7, 2014
Yes exactly what I did
but they still chased my business over the phone
apparently they don't need it now ??

Reactions: DVP

David Andrews

Hard Yards
Nov 18, 2014
Sydney
Yes exactly what I did
but they still chased my business over the phone
apparently they don't need it now ??
huh ?

Why on earth would anyone try to duplicate resort websites on their own website ?

Most brochures these days are colourful pricelists with often generic photos.

Most brochures, don't even details seasonal airfares anymore either.

So, from what you're saying if we have a pretty website & brochure you might book with us ?

Normo

Mostly Harmless
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2011
The thread is about getting to ZQN cheaply. I didn't head off topic, just responding to some of the crap.

As always.....you are missing the point! Your presentation is crap, your representation is crap, your website is crap.......and you regard (sometimes sporting) feedback as crap.
If you have the perfect business and you're selling lots of tickets and you don't need clients here, WHY do you keep posting?
Thank you for considering to respond to my curiosity. :thumbs:

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
huh ?

Why on earth would anyone try to duplicate resort websites on their own website ?

Most brochures these days are colourful pricelists with often generic photos.

Most brochures, don't even details seasonal airfares anymore either.

So, from what you're saying if we have a pretty website & brochure you might book with us ?

Bingo!

It is a competitive market. You need something to set yourself apart from the market. I (and it seems everyone else on here) is struggling to see what it is that sets your company apart.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using