Question Another Queenstown question thread

Mils

One of Us
Jun 3, 2011
Gold Coast
So,

Currently slated to be in Queenstown aug 7-14 looking for 5 days on snow.

Current conditions look pretty average.

Where should we aim to go? Will be staying in Queenstown with hire car.

I know it's a pretty vague and well asked question just wondering if there are better options to Cardona and Remarkables or will both be firing by then inspite of the slow start?

Thanks

Young Angus

One of Us
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Watching this thread too with a similar question, I don't know anything about skiing in NZ only that a mate of mine who is from there used to go heli-skiing...I won't be going heli-skiing haha just looking to learn a bit about the options over there near Queenstown.

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
Watching this thread too with a similar question, I don't know anything about skiing in NZ only that a mate of mine who is from there used to go heli-skiing...I won't be going heli-skiing haha just looking to learn a bit about the options over there near Queenstown.
It really depends on where you’re staying, how you plan to get around, and what your skill level is like. Lots of people really rate Cardrona, but so far I’ve only ever skied at the Remarkables. I’ve gone over during the last 2 winters, and I fly out again later today (can’t sleep now, hence my haunting the forums at ‘you should be asleep o’clock). We stay in Queenstown and haven’t had a car for the last couple of trips. Given that we wanted to keep our travel time short and we need access to adaptive instructors, our choice was Remarks. Having said that, there’s enough there to keep the whole family happy.

If you have a car and/or plan to stay at Wanaka, Cardrona and Treble Cone are also options. My understanding is that Cardrona is particularly good for intermediate level skiers/boarders, and TC is good for inter/advanced level. I could be wrong though, and I’m sure there’s others who could give a more informed opinion on the ski fields I haven’t been to.

Reactions: Young Angus

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
SO far away, a lot could (and should) change between now and your trip.

You've done the right thing and hired a car, so the feasible options for you if staying in QT are: Coronet Peak, Remarkables, Treble Cone & Cardrona. Coronet Peak usually struggles in lower snow years as it's elevation is the lowest of the 4 resorts. Just wait and see what the conditions are like, get up early and make the most of your time on the snow :)

Reactions: Mils

Mils

One of Us
Jun 3, 2011
Gold Coast
Dates changed to AUG 16-22.

I have the option of doing HeliSki for $350 but I dunno is it worth it?

Also glad the dates are later as OMG the snow looks pretty average and no storms on the horizon :/

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Dates changed to AUG 16-22.

I have the option of doing HeliSki for $350 but I dunno is it worth it?

Also glad the dates are later as OMG the snow looks pretty average and no storms on the horizon :/
That's crazy cheap for a heli ski! DO IT

Mils

One of Us
Jun 3, 2011
Gold Coast
Does anyone know of lower cost lift passes for Queenstown area? Their website puts it at $120 per day, are there multi day passes that are a better price?

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
Does anyone know of lower cost lift passes for Queenstown area? Their website puts it at $120 per day, are there multi day passes that are a better price?
I just had a play around on The Remarkables website, and if you add multiple days when purchasing a pass, it applies a discount. For example, I put in 4 days, and it came to $396, which comes to $99 a day.

In future, if you know you’re going to go over earlier in the year, NZ Ski sell multi day passes with a fairly large discount if you purchase before the first Friday in April. I paid under $900 for 4 day multi passes for 2 adults and 2 children this year.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
At cardrona yesterday it was $126 per day. And $160 for 2 days.

Suspect all resorts are similar.

Mils

One of Us
Jun 3, 2011
Gold Coast
I just had a play around on The Remarkables website, and if you add multiple days when purchasing a pass, it applies a discount. For example, I put in 4 days, and it came to $396, which comes to $99 a day.

In future, if you know you’re going to go over earlier in the year, NZ Ski sell multi day passes with a fairly large discount if you purchase before the first Friday in April. I paid under $900 for 4 day multi passes for 2 adults and 2 children this year.

I actually held out on the nzski page for a special. But they delayed it due to lack of snow. Made me a sad panda. Was hoping someone knew of a sneaky special. :)

Mils

One of Us
Jun 3, 2011
Gold Coast
What's the best prediction site for nz?

Trying to work out the freeze level for tomorrow along with the wind.. If it's better to go to coro or remarks

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass