1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Another ski hire question

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by NjB, Jul 19, 2014.

1. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

We are heading up to Buller for a day trip this Tuesday (car of 4) and I have always done my ski hire in Mansfield. Last time I used Buller Sports (hard to miss on the way into town) and I was checking out their current prices and noticed that the online site:

https://bslestore.com.au/eStore/Con...x?ProductGroupCode=23&ProductCategoryCode=384

states that "executive skis "are only available from Buller Sports Chalet" - Does that mean only the entry level premium skis are available for rental in Mansfield?

In my ignorant opinion I am a low level intermediate skier (comfortable on all blue runs and Howqua is the only black run I would ever go on at Buller and only if I feel I have my mojo working for me). For someone with my lack of skill would the difference between entry level "premium" and middle of the road "executive" even be noticeable? Am I wrong in thinking the only real difference is age \ condition of the skis?

SCM Discount Ski Hire is only 2/3 the price according to only listed prices but I would rather stick to Buller Sports in case we have gear issues on the mountain.

As we are only travelling in a VW Golf - 3 sets of skis and a snowboard + assoc gear might be a tight fit for the trip from Mansfield up to Buller. Maybe we should just hire from Horse Hill? (We are going to try and avoid Bourke St so intend to aim for HH / Northside Express to get to Burnt Hut for starters)

2. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

SMC like others have agreements with some other shops to cover on mountain replacements if needed, just ask them about it.
    Hans who runs the place is a decent bloke and has fairly regular staff each year.

I hired off them for years before I bought new skis and every year take a few people from inter to begginer and always go there.
    Never had an issue.
    I used to hire a set of demo skis every year and Hans used to keep them aside so when I went in he pulled them out from out the back ready to use no adustments, waxed and tuned before every ski.
    Which made hiring more favourable since I was the only one using them and didnt need to spend anything on them to keep them tuned and waxed before each ski, and updgraded twice to new models.

That said if the car is small and full of people then it might make sense to hire on the hill and pay a bit more.
    If so go to Black mountain, the gear is good, just give the shop assistant a poke, no they're not dead just resting.

ladycamper likes this.
  3. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

A major difference between regular hire gear and the premium stuff is usually that the edges on the standard skis are the same as when they left the factory. On premium gear the edges should have been tuned so that the tips and tails don't grab. I'm amazed that people are able to learn at all on your basic hire skis.

4. wolly

wolly One of Us

try mirimbah store, ask for exec skis

5. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

Thanks for your thoughts

6. Dos

Dos One of Us

SCM has agreement with Black Mountain.

7. DbSki

Even better.
    Both have good gear.

8. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

SCM sounds like a good option now thanks Dos. I think we used to use that store several years ago (or at least its predecessor at a very similar address) They are significantly cheaper than Buller Sports and the agreement with Black Mountain as stated above is a good fallback. Only issue is whether you can buy lift tickets from SCM?

9. DbSki

No but there is a few places you can buy lift tickets.
    If you end up at BM then just go to Bk St ticket office.
    When I used SCM I went to BS in mansfield to grab tickets if the line there was short.
    Sometimes drop mates at SCV and go grab trickets at BS while they are getting gear.