1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Another Tent Question...Lightest 4 Season Tent?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by SimonInAustralia, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The diggings is a swag job. Wind doesn't affect you when you are only 50cm off the ground and made of heavy canvas. Spent many locomotive nights at the diggings and seen damaged tents while we slept snug as a bug in the swag across the road.

Spent two very windy nights in our swag over the weekend. Up at 1700m. Wind howling. Toasty warm inside and no flapping in the breeze. Main concern was potential for large branches to fall on us. A few ports before bed can help with those thoughts.

#201 Snow Blowey, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  2. DJM

DJM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

After getting all worked up over a two person swag I ended up buying a Bombshelter. The swag is still on the list though.

3. Snow Blowey

well you can carry a bombshelter in a pack so that probably a better choice for those inclined to get away from the car every now and then.

mmmmmm. Perhaps i could get some snow tracks for the car.

#203 Snow Blowey, Jun 9, 2009
  4. The Bush Patrol

The Bush Patrol Addicted

Yeh then sfa your park mate will do when RTA catch up wih you on first ice in the carpark again.

5. shauno

shauno Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

I bought a Bibler Fitzroy and I tell you I haven't used it yet but setting it up in the lounge room with two people
    I couldn't help thinking that this would be a nightmare trying to setup on your own in the wind. Even though
    you get inside the tent to set it up. The walls looks so fragile id be paranoid about putting a pole through it.

The main worry is the two long straight poles that go diagonally across the tent from each corner you have to put
    one corner in and then bend the pole so it fits in the other corner while making sure it doesn't pop out and go through
    the tent wall.

Anyway I had it setup up for a few days while I went through two tubes of seam sealer on the outside which sort of
    pisses me off that. Don't know why it couldn't have been sealed from the factory given that there now made in China
    labor wouldn't cost much.

So going to be testing it out in July up on the main range and maybe looking to join any one else up there if there keen for a laugh and want to see a Fitzroy put through some destruction testing on an exposed ridge above 2000m.
    [​IMG]

#205 shauno, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  6. john_k

john_k Hard Yards

One was a "3 season tent" that was not meant to be used - but was bought along - the fly blew away - the other was a 4 season tent but the pole broke whilst being set up.

So, being able to put up a tent up efficiently/fast should be considered when buying a tent I think!

#206 john_k, Jun 10, 2009
  7. shauno

Thats one good thing about the bibler tents I guess since your actually inside the tent putting it up so in theory they shouldn't get blown away. Until you crawl outside your newly erected tent that is!!

8. legend

legend One of Us

The only problem is you can bring huge amounts amounts of snow/water in when trying to put up a billowing tent. You then have to get out and peg/guy it out (this is when it can blow away). That's why I'm an advocate for the Hilleberg tents (and macpac Olympus & Minarets). Peg out one end, place the poles in and stretch it out and peg the other. Within 2 minutes (with practice) you have a secured tent up with dryness inside.

9. DJM

DJM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Went through 4 tubes of Seam seal for the bombshelter. Its really all about the weight factor with the Bibler/BD tents. I had an I-tent for a while and it was awesome to carry.....So light.

I know what you mean about fragile when your setting up. IMO its BS about the whole sit inside to set up in a blizzard, its freakin impossible. As legend said with a few other tents, just peg out the back end and let the tent flag while you whack the poles in then it pops up like the proverbial.
    With the missus in and organising gear you can stuff around putting the remainder of the pegs in and all done in a couple of minutes. I love the minaret for that reason.

The bombshelter is more for our week or more basecamp style jobs or when the missus wants to bring female friends along that need to be safe and warm. I dont want to have to set it up and take it down every day for a week or more. I will give it test run over the next couple of weeks.

#209 DJM, Jun 10, 2009
  10. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The beauty of this design for going light, is that you can stake it out, then get inside and pole it up. Its hard to describe how hard it is, to put a tent up in very strong wind. People have had their tents torn from their numb grips [​IMG] .

For me its the sort of thing you need to be prepared for on longer trips, because buggered if I will go on a short one if the forecast is suspect, been there done that. "Yeah, normally theres a great view. But today its just white and you are wondering what the f... you are doing here".

Maybe someone (like the mysterious they) could run a course in a wind tunnel. If you stuff it up out there its poo poo time.

#210 telecrag, Jun 10, 2009
  11. shauno

Yeah I think I'll get another tube I haven't checked for seams on the bottom of the tent yet if there
    are ill put some sealant there to. I'm overseas at the moment wont get back until around July 9 and want
    to go up to the main range for a few days soon after that.

12. Craig Bennett

Craig Bennett First Runs

hi, I got a second arrow, by Wildlerness Equipment a couple of years ago. Used it at the bread knife warrumbungles on a cold night, and in howling wind at the pinnacles, Blue Mountains. My other cheap tent blew apart, snapped poles and tore, the arrow hardly moved. Keen to get it in snow, though ive never capmed on snow. Question, how does one get started in snow camping ?, none of my mates crazy enough to come with me...

Cheers

CB

13. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Craig, welcome to the forums :)
    Find somewhere sheltered with easy access and retreat for your first slumber.
    How do you plan on travelling on the snow?
    Skis, snowboard, snowshoes?

14. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

There are a few clubs that organise overnight tours; that can be a very good way to learn fast. Where are you based?

15. Craig Bennett

Craig Bennett First Runs

zig, great idea, ive looked into this course, no reply yet..http://www.snowymtns.com/index90da.html?id=snowcraft

im in sydney, so nsw skifields, snow areas preferred..

tw, would prob snowshoe the first one, learn the ropes, then look into xcountry i guess..

building an igloo on my bucket list..
    thanks

CB

16. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

There's good easy access places to camp in Whites River Valley up from Guthega Power Station or South from Dead Horse Gap on the upper Thredbo River or Bob's Ridge and in a good season south from Mt Selwyn towards TableTop Mtn.
    Happy camping Craig

17. Kieran

Kieran A Local

It doesn't have to be a commercial course Craig. If you're prepared to give back as much as you get out of it, there are a few community based bushwalking and XC skiing clubs in NSW and the ACT that are prepared to take beginners out snow-camping, so you can learn from more experienced members.

18. Ziggy

19. Craig Bennett

Craig Bennett First Runs

thanks mate, they arent too far from me, ill check it out...

20. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

Hi Craig, I've used my WE Second Arrow many times camping in the snow. Holds up beautifully.
    [​IMG]

21. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah they are very solid little tents.
    Little being the word! Ive sat out a mega blizzard in one of those. Well, it felt mega from inside! LOL

#221 piolet, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  22. davidg

davidg Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

piolet likes this.
  23. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

big fan of this design, bought a similar tent off moontrail years back

24. Craig Bennett

Craig Bennett First Runs

thanks, great pic, some serious snow there...

25. Ziggy

piolet likes this.
  26. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

yeah interesting my macpac nautilus 3 season 2 person but used in 4 season-1 person plenty times is dying from being 20 years old, zips are going, rubber tent peg thingys dead and material all thin and crackly......had over a year of nights in it......what to do. unconvinced by single skin

27. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

love my single skin lightweight bushwalking tent but wouldn't get a 4 season/snow single skin for use in Oz.

28. mr

yeah GS too rainy - freezy - rainy here.......if it were minus 20 all the time maybe ok, i dont mind internal spindrift....but drippy condensate or rain no thanks

29. legend

legend One of Us

Many in mt club have gone over to the Tarp Tent Scarp1. Two vestibules, large interior, with the extra cross-over poles can withstand heavy snowfalls and extreme winds. Weighs 1.3Kg, with extra poles about 1.6Kg with the poles. Have a look here:
    http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

30. mr

i like, legend

31. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

My back-up/day touring shelter is my old Megamid but I have to say it is heavy compared to any of the new silnylon tents.
    Last year at pretty Valley I got hit by a huge gust of wind and the centre pole snapped at the junction of the top pole and the next lower pole. Sounded like a gunshot even over the wind noise.
    I plant to get another; newer, mid as soon as I save enough money
    @Craig Bennet See my thread about a base camp at Pretty Valley and contact me if interested

Valances/Snow flaps are always a good idea in the wind no matter what the tent/tarp
    My main tent is still [ despite the weight] my old Fairydown "Plateau"

32. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I have the Nallo 2 with vestibule :)
    Not used enough recently :(

33. NeoSamurai

NeoSamurai One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If I retrace my steps I can probably find it.
    I've got a whole tribe that I take up well above the snowline sometimes in extremeish weather and I bought a Norweigian brand tent called a HelSport Svea4 Sport that we can fit 5 into easily with lots of room and 2 vestibules. Designed for Arctic blizzards above 85degrees north inside the Arctic Circle. Yes - pretty heavy at ~5kg but it does fit a family of 5 and gear easily. Helsport have LOTS of other snow tents (and others) if you Google them.

34. yngverog

yngverog Hard Yards

Vaude is a German brand which make plenty of light weigh gear as well, and good value for money. My personal favourites are the Mountain Hardwear tents. May be a little heavier than (and not as cheap as) others, but can withstand blizzards and storms. For a good all round tent check out Skyledge, or alternatively the lighter LightPath or the more expedition oriented Trango.

I personally own a Lightwedge, a slightly heavier (3kg) 3-season tent, and for my current use it's brilliant!

35. mr

haha ive got a friend with a Norwegian helsport....bought in Norway...... and every time he pitches in australia it is starts raining, pretty sure it broke the drought in 2009

piolet likes this.
  36. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Helsport Varanga is the tent I want for those epic winter camps, not that I can afford one

37. zarb

zarb Hard Yards

I had a few of the single wall Black Diamond designs and I felt that:

a) They let in way too much moisture to suit our wet winters.
    b) They are too cramped without the added vestibule to be any fun waiting out nasty weather.
    c) Very fragile zips and fabric. I suppose weight savings have to come from somewhere.

However,

d) Very very easy to set up.
    e) Not only nice and lightweight, but also very compact in your bag.

I would say it would suit the kind of trip where you want the lightest possible tent and will be using it really only to sleep, and in dry conditions.

I have since upgraded to a Hilleberg Kaitum 3GT, and will just use a bivvy if I want to do a fast and light skiing or climbing trip.

38. Snow Blowey

I want. Haul the farker onto the western faces (wood) in a pulk and set up for winter.

The Plowking likes this.
  39. mr

you are fantasizing again snow blowey.....

The Plowking likes this.
  40. Snow Blowey

Thanks Dibble. About an hour now wasted watching videos of the Helsport.