1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question another tent thread. looking at the north face northstar 4

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by tim2thesnow, May 22, 2020.

1. tim2thesnow

tim2thesnow First Runs

Good morning. I'm looking at 4 season tents. I like the look and price of the north face northstar 4. but it seems to be a very new product with next to no real blizzard reviews. I'm looking for a 4 season tent that will comfortably sleep 3. i want something that will last, weight isn't an issue. I'll be camping next to the car near the ski resorts with 2 young boys. money is a bit tight atm though that's why i was looking at the north face northstar 4. it's a 4 person 4 season tent for $1000. i would like to hear people's opinion on it though as it seems cheap compared to every other 3-4 person 4 season tent out there. considering they had gusts up to 130klms last year i want something that will handle that. would the northstar 4 be suitable or am i better off waiting until next year when i can afford something dearer?
    https://thenorthface.com.au/product/northstar-4/NF0A3BYC3QM.html

2. coolair

coolair One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I used a large geodistic for years at the snow, it was great untill
    The base perished. What isthe fly like?
    Looks the goods for a base camp tent.

Chaeron likes this.
  3. Chaeron

Chaeron A Local Ski Pass: Gold

In reality if you’re not actually camping on the snow itself in active weather a high end 3 season tent would be perfectly adequate -

In this type I highly recommend the Salewa Sierra Leone 3. I have used it actively over a period of 15 years - in heavy wind and rain in the Otways and on the snow at Mt Nelse.

I still use the tent with my 2 boys 13 & 18 - I reconditioned it after 16 years - heavy use had started taking a toll.

https://www.salewa.com/sierra-leone-iii-tent-00-0000005626

Well within the price range.

Worth getting the footprint too.

Having 2 vestibules is great.

The other optimal 4 season option is the Exped Venus 3

http://www.bogong.com.au/exped-venus-iii-tent-1.html

Also in the price range and proven in Aussie conditions.

Of course, then there’s the Hillebergs to lust after....

Rick Ross Da Boss and Annabuzzy like this.
  4. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Mont Epoch./ end thread.

Chaeron likes this.
  5. Chaeron

skifree likes this.
  6. PAW

PAW Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

7. Chaeron

Untried and of new provenance - Current Mountain Designs is not the MD of old - now an Anaconda in-house brand.....one up from Denali

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Designs

Will meet spec. but not likely to be durable - second-hand of a more reputable brand at the same price point would be a better option imo.

I’d trust a 3 season tent from a more reputable brand over this and wouldn’t even think of taking this onto the snow and into the wind....

The shape wouldn’t bode well in wind and under heavier snow for starters....

715F6DCF-CC0B-4931-A9BE-48565A94A804.png

8. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ive got the old standard Mont Moondance 1, and have used it above the treelike (in good weather). It handles wind very well, the only difference is the mesh over nylon inner I think to 4 season. It wouldn't be bomber, but certainly handle most that Oz dishes, and certainly at a car.

The plus is that if you keep an eye on it, you can buy it wholesale at their sale. So the $1100 Epoch would be more like $800.

Chaeron and skifree like this.
  9. PAW

PAW Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

I don't think the shape is a problem - it's similar to other 4-season tents with good reputations. The main concern would be the strength of the materials to tolerate strong wind gusts. And durability. I can't find any reviews. I know MD is not the same as it used to be.

10. legend

legend One of Us

I had the NorthFace mountain tent - absolutely amazing when 130kph winds hit me when camped on the summit of the Ironbounds. It also kept us very dry when we pitched it on the edge of the cliff at High Moor Western Arthurs. Again we were hit with a strong gusty SW change with winds you could only crawl in.
    Those who know me know how I love to camp on the more spectacular places - next to cliffs for suburb views. The tent is still used by friends who bought it around 10 years ago.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. axellotta

axellotta Addicted

I picked up a One Planet Wurley last year from a fellow in NSW or QLD who ran a hire fleet and turns over their tents occasionally.

https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/outdoor-education/oe-tents-flies/wurley-3/

The Wurley is from their industrial range and I wanted something that was bombproof (you should see the size of the zips) that I didn't care about kids crawling in and out of.

I paid about $160 for it and it was a good to very good condition for a secondhand tent.

Never tested it in high wind, but as a car camping tent for me and my two young children it is great. I'll see if I can dig out the contact details if you like?

Chaeron likes this.
  12. tim2thesnow

tim2thesnow First Runs

thanks for all your replies guys, great info but i think I'm still sold on t.n.f northstar 4. the price and the head height appeal to me. i haven't found anyone yet with anything bad to say about t.n.f tents.

13. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

What is the internal height? Footprint size? I ask as some TNF domes are squarish which makes it harder to get away from the tent walls if you are taller than 180mm and using a thick winter sleeping bag on a deep mattress.
    Height is very important for comfort and with BC mattresses becoming thicker/deeper every season a few hundred millimetres of extra height comes in handy
    Check that you can get spare wands easily, it might be that they have got the weight so low by using smaller section poles that can break in our heavy wet snow loads. If they are only thin get a spare full pole plus a few extra sections ASAP
    Also see if it is possible to double pole
    The website doesn't show pictures of the fly and vestibule but you might need an extra dozen snow pegs in a blow so take that into account also
    It is a lot of tent for the money

tim2thesnow likes this.
  14. bandit11

bandit11 Hard Yards

Had NF VE25, good tent, but not a patch on a Hilleberg for a number of reasons, the main one being "integral pitch". Try getting a fly on a tent in Kosci when it's blowing a gale and wet....Quality of them is the best there is, as is fabric. If weight is not a factor as you say then have a look at them. A lot of people use the Soulo for trips into KNP MR but it won't take 3, you would need to look at something like the Nammatj 3 or 3GT or the Keron. Check them out, the huge vestibule of the GTs is a godsend for storing gear and cooking, and quelling boredom. Just had a look at the NF weight, it's no light weight is it? I have no affiliation with H/Berg what so ever, I just own 2 of them, Saivo ,and Keron 3GT, both have proven bombproof. None of any of these tents is cheap, including the NF. There is a guy that does some y/tube stuff and he's useing the Epoch, it seems to hold up pretty well but it's small. Not sure it comes in 3 person. Funny, I was in the Mont store the other day.....

skifree and Chaeron like this.
  15. legend

legend One of Us

Regarding spare pole or replacements go to: ansco.com.au
    They have all Easton pole sections including ferals.

16. Greybeard

Greybeard Addicted

I too would like to include some pole sections in some ferals, but I think you mean ferrules.

nezumi, legend, Spence and 1 other person like this.
  17. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Bumping, thoughts on this MD tent? https://www.mountaindesigns.com/equipment/tents/expedition-tents/expedition-2-person-tent/BP90141975

I'm looking at this from the perspective of possibly joining one of the Mountain Sports Collective trips. My normal hiking/bikepacking tent is a Naturehike Cloud Up 2, so this is almost twice the weight. Unfortunately with a new bub and a 4yo, I don't think that I'm going to have a lot of time for snow camping in the short term, so I'm not looking to overcapitalise here.

18. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

In that case nezumi I have a spare winter tent here you can have, heavy and old school but it should last a trip or three. You would just need to pick it up from Geelong, it was a PIF from Sambar358 over at Bushwalk and I used it one winter for my basecamp

nezumi likes this.