Trip Report Antarctica November 2019

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Awesome.

Recognised Mark Sedon in there also. He's been around a bit.
164581_5f4371ea56df55630cf6bad28014f26c.jpeg
Farrrkin legend. Ask him about kite skiing to the south pole...

Reactions: Spiersy

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Epic moods & textures in some of your shots.

Any avy / icefall danger on your trip? A whole new realm of ice world risks there.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Epic moods & textures in some of your shots.

Any avy / icefall danger on your trip? A whole new realm of ice world risks there.
We saw a bit of slough, but there's no real avi risk as it doesn't really snow enough. Still full avi travel tho.
The first day we were standing on top of a peak and felt/heard a large rumble like an earthquake, some glacier calving somewhere - and standing by the water edge we often heard large cracks: you look across the bay and see the cloud and then the spreading wave. Tsunamis are a small risk. The guides stay well away from any potential icefall, but crevasses are everywhere, many that could swallow a supermarket.

StuckinQld

One of Us
Jun 28, 2009
Hunter Valley / Newcastle ish
I had a rule that I had to see Penguins before having kids. Luckily, we decided on a 3 week Antarctica/Sth Georgia trip rather than Phillip Island. What this means is I’ve got a few years to go to my 50th, but you have given me a good idea as Ive always wanted to return.
I’m very impressed with your wife’s swim. It cannot have been quick to get in/out amongst the rocks. We ran in and out very fast on a softer surface from recollection on Deception Island. Super photos that take me back to being there, thanks for sharing.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
I had a rule that I had to see Penguins before having kids. Luckily, we decided on a 3 week Antarctica/Sth Georgia trip rather than Phillip Island. What this means is I’ve got a few years to go to my 50th, but you have given me a good idea as Ive always wanted to return.
I’m very impressed with your wife’s swim. It cannot have been quick to get in/out amongst the rocks. We ran in and out very fast on a softer surface from recollection on Deception Island. Super photos that take me back to being there, thanks for sharing.
She was miffed I think on not having done the polar plunge the day before with the rest of us. Water was minus one degrees. I got warm again in hot tub, she got back in to her ski gear and started climbing.

StuckinQld

One of Us
Jun 28, 2009
Hunter Valley / Newcastle ish
She was miffed I think on not having done the polar plunge the day before with the rest of us. Water was minus one degrees. I got warm again in hot tub, she got back in to her ski gear and started climbing.
I think our water temp was 2 degrees. I didn’t linger and got chocolates were waiting for almond us. We had a smaller boat with less features such as hot tubs.

Reactions: Boodwah

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
That afternoon we cruised through the Lemaire Channel to a 6 hour sunset that was still going after midnight. Dead calm and silent, it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

So envious! We couldn't navigate the Lemaire Channel when I went a few years - the Captain decided it was too ice-choked. Fingers crossed it will be relatively clear in January 2021 when I'm next there so I can see what you saw.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
So envious! We couldn't navigate the Lemaire Channel when I went a few years - the Captain decided it was too ice-choked. Fingers crossed it will be relatively clear in January 2021 when I'm next there so I can see what you saw.
Yup, too lucky, especially for November and we got both Lemaire and Errera. Although Errera was hard going. It’s a lot dependent on prevailing winds. The openings to the channels can get choked up in a matter of hours.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
What an epic trip!!
Thanks so much for sharing and sharing in so much detail with so many photos.
Loved it.

Ski the last degree and Vinson Massif has been on PB and my bucket list for a while, but your trip looks way more fun! LOL

I reckon every year from 50 is a milestone year so you may as well lock in a bucket list adventure (within budget) every single year. Why wait until you’re 60 people! Embrace every day.

Reactions: Boodwah

Barras

Addicted
Aug 15, 2011
Ice Axe have just postponed this years trip

"The biggest being that we have decided to POSTPONE the November 5-17, 2020 Ice Axe Antarctic Peninsula Ski Cruise to next year"

Spiersy

One of Us
Apr 11, 2009
NSW

This was the N end to the Lemaire while S-bound in Feb 2019:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pgX2Zw3rBHZF1B998
...and the S end while N-bound a couple of weeks later:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qDdpxEEUNF8qhVgA9
(Click the whirlygig in the top R corner if you want the interactive 360 view)

Last edited:

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass