1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Any good sources for boot liners?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by satanas, Apr 15, 2020.

1. satanas

satanas Addicted

My old liners are getting very close to dead, but the shells are still perfect, and I like the boots. I'd like to get new liners, however, there are two problems.

1. I've poked about online but it seems to be very difficult to find any liners anywhere, and then there are the current shipping problems, not that there's any hurry.

2. The other drama is that the boots are 28.5 Dynafit TLT5Ps, so low volume. FWIW, I tried Intuition Pro Tour liners in the size Intuition recommended, but they expanded immensely when moulded and crushed my feet. It was nearly impossible to do the buckles up, and I had no circulation; the liners were basically a dead loss. One possibility might be to repurpose some Scarpa F3 liners, but I'd prefer to find something else rather than steal those.

Anyone have any ideas? And if anyone in Oz can reliably expand anything other than PU shells - i.e., Pebax - that'd be useful info too. Thanks. ;-)

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Palau make a lot of liners for touring boots: https://palau-ski-boot-liners.com/

Never seen them in Australia so you might need to import but I reckon it's your best bet.

3. satanas

satanas Addicted

Thanks for that. Palau made the original liners and Garmont G-Fit liners too, not necessarily a recommendation. Unlike most other liners, they will only compress, not expand, at least for the ones I've seen. Some of these look interesting...

https://palau-ski-boot-liners.com/categorie-produit/tour-lite-range/?lang=en

...but it looks like Palau are closed for business, not surprisingly; all sizes of everything come up as out of stock. I wonder also if they'll sell outside the EC, but doubt anything will happen before our winter is over (if it starts).

CarveMan likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I've bought liners twice from o/s with poor results. One pair were Scarpa-branded Intuitions and despite having Intuition confirm the sizing it was wrong. The other were low volume generics that took 11 bakings to get a good fit.

5. satanas

satanas Addicted

Intuition got the size wrong for my Pro Tour liners too, but maybe they were never going to fit anyway. The easy - but not cheap - solution would be to spend ~$1k on Salomon boots, given most Salomon footwear fits my feet well. However, I don't have $1k to spare, and am reluctant to spend money when there may be no skiing this year (or next O/S season) in any case. :(

6. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Not a chance of getting a Zipfit into a TLT5, and the liner could well weigh more than the shell!

piolet, skifree and Telemark Phat like this.
  8. ralphplough

ralphplough One of Us

Intuition Dreamliner?

The shop that shall not be named in Wodonga has a pretty good stock of them. If you can get there you can give it a try in store.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

My conclusion was that dropping 300 for a local to supply and fit was the reliable cost-effective option.

skifree likes this.
  10. satanas

satanas Addicted

^ I tried that with the Pro Tour liners, and the results were cold, numb feet, nearly impossible to close buckles, and me being $300 poorer. :-(

Sigh. I suppose the only answers are to 1) re-bake and/or build up my existing liners, or 2) buy new boots, preferably with enough volume that normal liners will fit, but narrow enough at the rear not to be sloppy, and lightweight plus laterally stiff enough too; unfortunately, I'm not sure there is such a thing.

Since I doubt #2 is either actually or financially possible right now, that leaves option #1. Can anyone recommend a good boot fitter, preferably in Sydney or else Jindabyne? If I can eke out another season or two from the TLT5Ps it might be possible to find suitable new boots overseas, assuming we can go there eventually.

11. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Theoretically you should be able to cook those liners to perfection. What is going wrong?

12. satanas

satanas Addicted

I'm not sure whether you're referring to the original Dynafit liners, or the Pro Tour liners.

1. The Dynafits were made by Palau, similar to Garmont's G-Fit liners, and use thin foam that will only compress when heated; it doesn't expand. Unfortunately I need less volume than these can produce. Rebaking them might get them closer to how they were originally, but I dunno.

2. The Pro Tour liners were quite a snug fit before heating, but then expanded massively. There didn't appear to be any contraction anywhere, and despite moulding them with double toe caps they were ludicrously tight everywhere. I thought "maybe they'll loosen up," but after about three days of no circulation, painful feet and it being almost impossible to put the boots on or close the cuff buckles I gave up.

13. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

What does the Pro Tour paper work say ?

14. satanas

satanas Addicted

I didn't see any paperwork for the Pro Tours - they went straight to the shop, and IIRC came in a clear plastic bag. FWIW, I emailed Intuition before purchasing locally and explained exactly what model and size of boot it was going in, the BSL, and the problems I was having with the existing liner. Still didn't work. :-(

Ziggy likes this.
  15. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Sam at Gravity in Jindy has always been good in my experience.
    I'm sure you could give him a call and chat .
    Not sure how social distancing goes with the boot-fitters just yet tho...

16. satanas

satanas Addicted

Thanks. I might check things out down there, assuming skiing happens this year.

17. Newsteve

Newsteve First Runs

What about new liners from Dynafit? I don't see a 5 but you could ask if the 6 fit?
    https://www.dynafit.com/tlt-speedfit-liner-08-0000065702?number=08-0000065702_0000000015&c=516551
    When you cook them, do you use "pantyhose" over the liner when you set them in the boots? extra toe space/old sox toes
    and different/thicker sox for more room?
    Yes the original TLT5 Flexzone Dynafit liners are made by Palau. Mine are a good fit early in the season on thin sox, but free up with more days ... I just move to a thicker sock... :)

Chaeron likes this.
  18. satanas

satanas Addicted

^ Thanks Steve. At lest Dynafit do sell liners but I've no idea which ones might fit, plus their web store is closed; I got a popup effectively saying "Go see a local dealer." There aren't any in Oz that I know of (bindings possibly excepted) and freight from continental Europe is mostly impossible now, plus many European shops won't ship outside the EC anyway. Dynafit's dealer locator doesn't show anything in the Southern hemisphere.

I emailed Telemark Pyrenees about liners a few months ago but never got a reply, so may try them again; my message may have gone astray.

As for socks, the existing liners were moulded with thin ones and I am now using slightly thicker ones but there's a limit - too thick and my toes get pushed into the front of the boot. I'm also using these...

https://www.ezeefitsports.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=030

..after starting off with thinner ones. They also push the foot forward slightly. :-(