Question Any snow left at Mt Stirling?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by axellotta, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:38 PM.

1. axellotta

axellotta Hard Yards

Hi everyone, I'm planning on taking my 3.5 year old daughter up to Buller / Stirling region this Saturday afternoon to do some tobogganing and build snowmen (now it's not going to cost me $60 for resort entry). I'm planning on pitching a tent Saturday night, maybe at Howqua Gap and then come back Sunday lunchtime. Does anyone know if there is any snow left at (preferably) Stirling or failing that Buller? If Buller the only option, can anyone think of a flattish place to pitch a 2 person tent within the Buller resort area? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers!

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Taken from the air today:

di6loc likes this.
  3. axellotta

axellotta Hard Yards

Thanks very much CarveMan, plenty there to muck about with it seems. As it's been a number of years since I've been there I can't remember, how long is the walk from Howqua Gap to the Stirling Summit?

4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Not sure, never done it, did an XC from Buller Village to Howqua Gap and back this winter, was a 2h15m round trip but I came back up over Corn Hill.

5. axellotta

axellotta Hard Yards

Hmmm, maybe I'll just chuck the mountain bike and kid trailer in the car as I think it's safe to say that the road from Howqua Gap to the summit will be closed to civilian vehicles and my daughter is a bit young yet for longer walks.

6. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Wondering how you are planning to get up to Howqua Gap? Pretty sure the Circuit Road is closed until Nov, it will certainly have snow on it in the shady aspects.

7. Whatever really

Whatever really Hard Yards

You could camp down the bottom the bottom of Buller then drive up to Buller, This option would require the least walking.
    Otherwise it’s drive to Telephone Box then a walk up to the summit of Sterling.