1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Any summer hostel accommodation in Guthega?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by seak, Jan 7, 2021.

1. seak

seak One of Us

Is there a hostel in Guthega that is same/similar to Thredbo YHA?
    Do they do summer accommodation?
    Is there any other hostel in Thredbo that also does $40/night same as YHA?

2. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

None that I’m aware of, no.

3. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

There is Snowy Mountains Backpackers in Jindabyne.

4. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Guthega in summer.

Eek.
    Quiet as.

5. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Have not heard of any hostel or lodge open to casual accom in Guthaga during the off season
    Closest would be Island Bend with a tent no faciliteis except for loo or Sawpit which has camp sites with cooking hut and shower facolities and self contained cabins but no hostel facility.
    Otherwise its Jindabyne

skifree likes this.
  6. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting to see when the Iconic gets going what options may crop up in CP, Guthega, Perisher & Smigs. $100 for DBB?

skifree, currawong and telecrag like this.
  7. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

No way! Busy as on tuesday, more cars than I have ever seen in winter on a Saturday!!

Lots of activity both walkers and around the lodges.

Chaeron, piolet and Myazma like this.
  8. Ozgirl

Was closed over winter due to covid. Not sure its open now.

9. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

Opened in November, apparently.

10. seak

seak One of Us

OK... what about ANY summer accommodation in Guthega. A few weeks back, I walked alone Hannels Spur - DHG over three days. Day 4 left pack at Thredbo YHA, and cycled down The Alpine Way to Geehi to fetch my car - still stoked!

Now I want to walk Guthega - across dam wall and up - Main Range - side trips - Thredbo. Day 4 - cycle 70km Thredbo - Jindy - Guthega - car.
    Another walk is planned, with finish in Guthega. Next day or so; cycle unsealed 75km GPS - Schlink - Geehi Dam Rd - Olsens Rd - car at Geehi.

And hence cheap accommodation is sought in Thredbo/Guthega - these style trips see me recovering/sorting gear/going over plans. The BBQs/bar/breakfast to 10am cost is seemingly wasted, although I thought the views from the empty Thredbo YHA was very good, actually. It's not always empty though, and so I ask about other hostels in Thredbo.

I have toyed with the idea of hiding locked bicycle in bush, with change of clothes/helmet/shoes in dry bag. Then, days later, hiding backpack while I cycle for car a long-ish day trip away. Thoughts?

skifree likes this.
  11. Myazma

Myazma One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I concur Guthega has been busy over summer. Pretty sure backpackers in Jindi still closed. Can give you a lift from Jindi to Guthega early most mornings. Nice plans.

skifree, Chaeron, coolair and 2 others like this.
  12. silva

silva One of Us

Lots of self catering lodges are open in Thredbo and rates are very reasonable. Many have restricted numbers to having a bathroom for each room though (due to covid) so you may have to pay the rates for a double room.

13. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Is there still camping around Island Bend? You could pitch a tent there and drive up to Guthega daily. I’m sure the Guthega Alpine Hotel would be open for lunch or a beer, if you were so inclined.

You could also look into the River Inn at Thredbo. It’s a commercial lodge, but run by a bus tour group, so probably inexpensive. I don’t personally rate it at all, mainly because I think the operators have turned it into a dump (what do I really think?) but it’s worth considering, particularly over summer.

14. Ozgirl

Yes there is camping at Island bend. Not packed when we drove through on Tuesday. However no idea what online bookings look like , in my experience being fully booked is not equating to actual campers.

Not sure about guthega pub, then have never been open in summer IIRC, and they had ditched lunch in winter even before covid hit. Seem to be all a bit too much for them.

15. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Years ago I did a loop hike from Perisher to Charlottes via porcupine rocks, then onto Thredbo to Guthega and finally back to Perisher.

we stayed at Stillwell lodge in Charlottes which I think has been resumed and now run by Charlottes. We have accommodation sorted in Thredbo and in Guthega we stayed at the Guthega at the Guthega Hotel.

basically the places you are looking don’t exist as the cost to open in summer means they are looking for guests that will spend, I.e breakfast dinner etc.

I know Pygmy Possuem in Charlottes used to offer the basic accommodation your after.

all that said why not take the extra day to walk back, why bike? From Thredbo take the chair to the top then follow kangaroo ridge to Stillwell, there is a foot track from there down to Charlottes. If your interested there is still parts of the old chair on site near Stillwell that ran from Thredbo side to Charlottes.

from Charlottes there are a few ways back to the start point. Personally I’d make the start Perisher and add a few hours to the first day and hike over to Guthega and then into the range.

zapruda and Chaeron like this.
  16. seak

seak One of Us

Thanks for longer response. I have XC skiied to ruins of old chair, and wish they were made into BC huts, as others have said before.

Walking Perisher to Guthega, are you allowed to walk anywhere, say; under route of Quad Express Chair, then follow Double Trouble run? Although from headwaters of Farm Creek may be prettier.

I cycle as I have diagnosed OA to knees - cycling seems to make things 'normal' again after carrying a heavier pack for days, as does other things (new lighter gear/keto to lose weight on knees/using walking sticks for first time/ditch boots - wear trail runners). Actually, re-discovering road cycling has been amazing for knees - I can sit for hours in my kayaks again...

zac150 likes this.
  17. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I had no issue walking the 4wd tracks through Perisher, it wasn’t stunning walking but got us to where we needed to be.

fair call on the riding, I also find it keeps the years of abuse on my knees at bay.

also the section of walking from Charlottes to Porcupine rocks is stunning

seak likes this.
  18. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

You can walk anywhere, but you may not want to there are a lot of areas of uncomfortable scrub.