Question Any takers for BC XC ski touring the Bogong High Plains for 4 nights? Possibly 11/8/21 to 15/8/21??

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Meanwhile my Bogong Rover Chalet trip has been cancelled due to indoor crowd rules / CV19 bullsh*t.
I could not get the booking transferred to another 7 day block so I am getting a full refund and looking at doing 4 nights towing my sleddy thing out from Windy corner / Cope Hut/ Tawonga Huts/ Pretty valley hut/ back to Windy Corner.

It will require snow camping, fitness, BC XC Ski touring , white out navigation :-0 (where is the next pole ?) and sharing Falls Creek parking fees.
Any takers?

Reactions: Tanuki

Ricardo64

Addicted
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Mr T, that actually wouldn't be a bad trip, ufortunately I am booked back up on hotham from the 16th to the 20th. Maybe later in the season if your doing something !!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Mr T, that actually would be a bad trip, ufortunately I am booked back up on hotham from the 16th to the 20th. Maybe later in the season if your doing something !!
In fact @pegasusSki and I are plotting a Fainters Ski trip for later in August coming in from Big Hill and snow camping at Bogong Jack Saddle. We'll need a clear safe weather window for 3 days out in the wild.

Ricardo64

Addicted
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Do able, I have a season pass for the first time and want to get my monies worth. I will definitely look at it could you PM me the details. that would be great

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
We are planning on doing this( see the trip report link) ( roughly speaking )except there will be snow, snow camping, BC XC skiing and skinning up hills with big packs on our backs.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Skip Big Hill, so up from the McKay Power Station, pretty much straight up. Much quicker I'm told.

Reactions: jimthetramp

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
I guess it's not just the time, it's the elevation gain. I'm pretty agnostic on the effort - until I'm doing the effort........there is of course from Bogong.

Reactions: skifree

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I’ve normally accessed The Fainters from Falls via Pretty Valley, Tawonga Huts (broadly). A fews I’ve meet folks who climbed up from the Power Station and generally reported it as a good route if there is enough snow to be on snow early in the climb. It’s a route on my list to do some day.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
All the best, T. I hope it works. But take advice from skifree; evidence suggests he has been there and done that. Also watch closely weather re: your dates. Some of your summer outings were challenging. Take minimum risks with winter outings. I get the impression pegasusSki probably knows what he is doing in the wild but consider safety first. That said, make the most of your opportunities. Have fun. (B.C. with capitals comes across as somewhat biblical. For a muslim?) Sorry.

Conkers

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2020
I would be interested in a few days up at Bogong as long as my skins arrive in time (they seem to be as rare as hens teeth atm). I'm also looking for a crew to head up to Mt Howitt and stay at the Gantner hut (via Lovicks and Mt Magdala) later in the season. We have a food drop ready but my ski partner can no longer get the time off work. It would be 6-8 days. We just arrived up at Hotham yesterday and the base is looking spectacular.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
(B.C. with capitals comes across as somewhat biblical. For a muslim?) Sorry.
My real first and second name are associated with Islam but I am agnostic and spiritual. I have trouble signing up to any major religion or philosophy. I have just completed a successful B.C. trip with @beefa skiing , ( trip report coming soon from the Mt. No.3 refuge hut mission). A good weather window is crucial for B.C. ski touring safety. Ski touring/ bushwalking solo can become an ordeal :-0
if something goes wrong on your own.

sidetrack

One of Us
Apr 20, 2005
Sunbury
Fainter best access is from big hill and saddle springs especially if you ride a Mtb from big hill to the gate up to saddle spring. Power station is about 2 km longer from memory and getting across PV creek can be challenging to say the least if the water is up.

stansi

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2007
Shepparton Vic.
I woud be happy to come along if the trip is not too hard? How many Sherpa do You have?
I don't like to carry more than a travelle gitar, wok, BC skis, XC skis, Telemark skis, and I'm thinking skating skis. I'm not very good on the skaters, But I'm hopping You can give Me some pointers, Also I've got a compass and an old "Algona" map of the high plains, so I could possibly help with nav. if needed. Also I've got a battery chainsaw and chains for all four wheels of My 4wd with accredited snow tyres, and also a hand winch so the trip up to Falls Creek shouldn't be too much trouble for Us if We travel in convoy.

Also please post picture of Your Girlfriend.

Reactions: Myazma

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I woud be happy to come along if the trip is not too hard? How many Sherpa do You have?
I don't like to carry more than a travelle gitar, wok, BC skis, XC skis, Telemark skis, and I'm thinking skating skis. I'm not very good on the skaters, But I'm hopping You can give Me some pointers, Also I've got a compass and an old "Algona" map of the high plains, so I could possibly help with nav. if needed. Also I've got a battery chainsaw and chains for all four wheels of My 4wd with accredited snow tyres, and also a hand winch so the trip up to Falls Creek shouldn't be too much trouble for Us if We travel in convoy.

Also please post picture of Your Girlfriend.
Hi. You are a joker , your talents are wasted here. The Comedy festival beckons you.

I shan't post a pic. of my g/f here. She is not a skier or a bushwalker.

Aside from that I am certain the Fainter trip with @pegasusSki will take place with a 3 day weather window and good snow via Big Hill, West Kiewa Logging road, Spring Saddle track, Spring Saddle and Bogong jack saddle.

I have a student in one of my guitar classes that I teach who says he used to take a MT Bike from Big Hill to Spring Saddle track and then hike up to Spring Saddle( steep 2 kms) and then skin / PB XC ski up to Bogong Jack saddle. He said he used to do it with an 8 am start from Big Hill and arrive about 4.5 hours later , set up a snow camp at Bogong and Jack Saddle and ski a bit up towards the Fainters.

He did agree with me that having the next day free and fresh to ski tour the Fainters with a day pack is a better plan . It is a slog up to Bogong jack Saddle in any season with an overnight pack .

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowy Joey

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
never mind Mr T - you probably get out more than most ;-)
I am wondering though whether Bogong is a better approach, swapping distance for vertical. You are probably more match-fit than I am...

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
never mind Mr T - you probably get out more than most ;-)
I am wondering though whether Bogong is a better approach, swapping distance for vertical. You are probably more match-fit than I am...
I would not recommend schlepping up from Bogong Village. The West Kiewa Logging road is flat coming in from the locked gate at Big Hill . You can smash that out in hiking boots with ski boots and skis strapped to the pack.
If the snow is really low after a big snow fall then XC skiing the West Kiewa logging road would be living the dream :love: and twice as fast doing diagonal stride compared with walking. Yes I am match fit after doing my Mt. No. 3 refuge hut to King Saddle snow camp and ski tour.
I will do some ski lessons and day touring at Falls Creek for a change as of 9/8/21 for 3-4-5 days.I will stay either in Myrtleford at my friend's house or car camp at Mtn. Creek .

I might even get on a nursery run ski lift and work on my turns.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Yeah same for me. going to tele the lifts at falls tomorrow and friday then tour for turns sat. pm if you're going to be in the area
I am getting a Plague test on Sat. and will drive up to ski at Falls Creek Mon. to Wed. next week. I prefer to avoid Falls Creek on weekends during ski season , if possible.
I am going to get some ski lessons at Windy Corner and try out my Telemark ski gear and possibly ski out to Johnston's hut or Pretty Valley hut.
Mt. Buffalo still has snow on the Horn road so I might XC ski there on Thursday next week.

Conkers

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2020
We just got back from a great (well timed) trip up at Hotham and I now have new skins! I'll be keen to join in if the trip gets rescheduled after this lockdown. Otherwise Mt Howitt in a few weeks.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
inshallah..!
Assuming we will be let out in two weeks from Lockdown No. 6 then I will have a week already set aside for skiing as of 20/8/21 to 27//8/21.
I am thinking of making the most of it and driving up on the Friday. Staying somewhere nearby to Mt. Beauty . Day two drive to Clover Arboretum( 21/8/21). Hike along the tramway and fire trails in hiking boots to camp at Bogong Creek saddle with Telemark ski boots and annum skis strapped to the pack and 4-5 days worth of food.
Day 3
Pack up camp , hike down to Big River, cross the river with boots off and start the slog up Timm's spur.
Put on skis and ski boots and skins if needed along the way and head for Roper's hut.
We need safe clear weather for this section.
Snow Camp at Roper's Hut for 2-3 nights. Ski touring out to Mt. Nelse, Spion Kopje and Edmondson's hut as day tours with day packs.
Day 5 ?
Pack up and head back down Timm's spur. Set up camp at Bogong Creek Saddle.
Day 6 hike out back to the car on the Falls Creek road.
If the weather forecast looks like heavy snow and strong winds as suggested on the weather forum between Aug. 18-23rd then Starting this mission on Aug. 22 or 23rd would be better as long as Lockdown No. 7 is not called less than a week after Lockdown 6 ends.
One suspects that is how things will happen until Xmas.
In effect the moment we are let out we need to be packed already with 6 ? days of food , ski gear , snow camping gear etc. the bleeding lot ready to go and just do the trip !!!.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Assuming we will be let out in two weeks from Lockdown No. 6 then I will have a week already set aside for skiing as of 20/8/21 to 27//8/21.
I am thinking of making the most of it and driving up on the Friday. Staying somewhere nearby to Mt. Beauty . Day two drive to Clover Arboretum( 21/8/21). Hike along the tramway and fire trails in hiking boots to camp at Bogong Creek saddle with Telemark ski boots and annum skis strapped to the pack and 4-5 days worth of food.
Day 3
Pack up camp , hike down to Big River, cross the river with boots off and start the slog up Timm's spur.
Put on skis and ski boots and skins if needed along the way and head for Roper's hut.
We need safe clear weather for this section.
Snow Camp at Roper's Hut for 2-3 nights. Ski touring out to Mt. Nelse, Spion Kopje and Edmondson's hut as day tours with day packs.
Day 5 ?
Pack up and head back down Timm's spur. Set up camp at Bogong Creek Saddle.
Day 6 hike out back to the car on the Falls Creek road.
If the weather forecast looks like heavy snow and strong winds as suggested on the weather forum between Aug. 18-23rd then Starting this mission on Aug. 22 or 23rd would be better as long as Lockdown No. 7 is not called less than a week after Lockdown 6 ends.
One suspects that is how things will happen until Xmas.
In effect the moment we are let out we need to be packed already with 6 ? days of food , ski gear , snow camping gear etc. the bleeding lot ready to go and just do the trip !!!.
Please do not take this the wrong way but I feel you should rethink your plans. Firstly, this plan does not have enough food for the journey you propose let alone a reserve in case of bad weather. Secondly your plan is to walk for two days carrying a mule load and then spend two or three nights at Ropers. Two nights would be one day touring before turning around and spending two days hoofing it out. Three nights and you run out of food.

Perhaps it would be better to do one of your many other touted plans such as Trapyard Gap to Faithfuls hut, Mulhauser to CC hut (even Camp Creek to CC via Eskdale spur would be easier and more rewarding). Easier than this walk you mentioned above would be Kellys Track to Fitzgeralds hut and I would remind you of your own words.

"I trudged up the Omeo highway in the cool early morning light and set off up Fitzgerald's road. This was the start of a 1000 M. elevation gain, over 14 kms from Big River bridge . By the time I reached Fiztgerald's hut at 1251 pm I was shattered, totally rogered and spent.
I have shelved the idea of using this fire trail route for winter XC ski access. Some sections around the 1500 and 1600 M. elevation areas would be hard to navigate in deep snow and fog.The road would be buried."

The plan you have here has a similar climb to BHP via Fitzgeralds but is much further and you would be carrying a massive amount on your back. Maybe just some cabin fever procrastination. Hopefully you will see this idea as folly and not attempt it. I couldn't imagine many takers for it.

Reactions: legend and GS

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
I tend to agree with comment above. You're not getting any younger @Mister Tee on XC Skis , it's time to ditch the weight or offset the weight by using the car to gain elevation and pay for parking at FC. Getting yourself completely exhausted is not wise planning for winter ski trips and can quickly lead to less desirable outcomes if the weather and conditions don't play along....not to mention it takes away the fun factor.

You've said yourself your skiing is still somewhere around beginner level so skiing in poor conditions with a heavy pack and taking a few tumbles will wear you out surprisingly quickly.

Apologies for the somewhat negative advice, feel free to tell me to phoque off :)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I tend to agree with comment above. You're not getting any younger @Mister Tee on XC Skis , it's time to ditch the weight or offset the weight by using the car to gain elevation and pay for parking at FC. Getting yourself completely exhausted is not wise planning for winter ski trips and can quickly lead to less desirable outcomes if the weather and conditions don't play along....not to mention it takes away the fun factor.

You've said yourself your skiing is still somewhere around beginner level so skiing in poor conditions with a heavy pack and taking a few tumbles will wear you out surprisingly quickly.

Apologies for the somewhat negative advice, feel free to tell me to phoque off :)
I would be a better skier than I am but with two ski seasons badly interrupted by CV19 restrictions my progression has been thwarted.
I would rate myself as lower intermediate.
A beginner is someone who cannot ski the entire Heathy spur loop in under 6 hours including
a stop for lunch.
I have skied down the Bluff Spur track at Mt. Stirling from the summit to TBJ without crashing. I doubt a beginner could do that.

Yes I am 51 years of age and not for long .
I would like to do these BC XC ski and snow camping trips while my fitness allows it and body still can do it.
Whether I can co ordinate obtaining a CV19 test and thus gaining resort entry at Falls Creek with the very short windows of opportunity we will get in between rolling snap lockdowns remains to be seen.
Failing that I will do some serious B.C. missions even if it means going slowly over 6 days with a heavy pack on my back. I know the B.H.P. terrain well. I have bushwalked it a lot from every direction .
That counts towards something IMHO in terms of navigation with a map , compass and GPS in poor visibility.
Of course selecting a safe weather window for such a white season trip is also a good plan.

slotele

Addicted
Jun 3, 2016
Been thinking about this, what is your aim? you have hiking, camping, climbing and ski touring all in one trip.
How about getting the bus up to windy, ski with your tent to wallaces, camp there and learn to use your new ski gear on the meadows up along the pole line at the pinacles or the playground behind cope hut.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Apologies for the somewhat negative advice, feel free to tell me to phoque off
I think being honest is more important and it is a sign we look out for each other. I know Mr. T will not listen to my words and we have had our differences but I would not like to see him (or any other person) get into trouble because of a what I see as poorly conceived plan. I would feel much worse having said nothing. The choice is up to him in the end. I would urge others not to follow.

Reactions: GS

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Been thinking about this, what is your aim? you have hiking, camping, climbing and ski touring all in one trip.
How about getting the bus up to windy, ski with your tent to wallaces, camp there and learn to use your new ski gear on the meadows up along the pole line at the pinacles or the playground behind cope hut.
Well I would say that these lockdowns make me want to do it all !.

My skiing could use some improvements, of that there is no doubt. I was going to get three days of lessons at Falls Creek as of Monday this week but that plan has been put off by yet another lockdown.
I was even going to get a lift ticket for an easy bit of terrain at Falls Creek such as Wombat's Ramble and just drill my skills.

I do have a sleddie thing / Pulk which @teckel made for me.
I am planning to test it out from Windy Corner and tow it out to Cope Hut and Camp there a bit and then head for Young's hut or Tawonga Huts or Pretty Valley in a loop.
Just camping at Cope Hut and skiing up and down the hills near there would be fine with me.
In terms of setting up a base camp within a sane distance from Windy Corner and just drilling my BC XC skiing in the back country on my new Ski gear then Edmondson hut could also be the spot for that.
I don't mind paying for parking at Falls Creek.
I won't be going abroad or interstate to ski or doing very much in particular far from home very soon so I may as well splash some cash and have fun while I can.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015

It's very easy to forget the pain involved in any exertion.
At the time - I'm sweating.
Afterwards - it was "character-building" and part of the course.

I actually think Mr T is just 'putting it out there'. He likes to build expeditions in his head...
plenty of people push themselves and Mr T is probably fitter than most of us with the days he puts in...(still).

Mr T - if you need an offsider for the Fainters I can go half on the parking at Falls :)

If I'm only doing 3 days, I don't mind a bit of a slog over distance - I am good at shifting weight over distance in boots - but I carry half the weight. I can walk further than I can ski - that's my current situation.

legend

One of Us
Aug 22, 2004
lakes entrance
Why not just bite the bullet and catch the bus up to Falls. We regularly skied from Windy Corner to Tawonga Huts as an easy day with lots of play time along the way. This was done in our second season of skiing. Easy day across to Fainters and return (again lots of playing - read as learning to ski properly without a pack). From there another great trip over the Rocky Knobs and across to Cope Hut. Return via the tops and Heathy Spur. Navigation is quite simple and straight forward. We skied this in all conditions, especially Heathy Spur (often at night as we wanted to get the max out of the weekend).

slotele

Addicted
Jun 3, 2016
Well I would say that these lockdowns make me want to do it all !
fair enough.
I was even going to get a lift ticket for an easy bit of terrain at Falls Creek such as Wombat's Ramble and just drill my skill.
good idea. I would recomend Drovers & Panorama, you have room to experiment and places to turn out and wash off speed. Wombats is a bit narrower and the main access route off that part of the hill. lots of traffic which makes it difficult to work on your turns.
Just camping at Cope Hut and skiing up and down the hills near there would be fine with me.
+1 for this. Your new gear is a giant step in control over your older skis. Once you get out on it you will start looking for the meadows to enjoy the turns not just the destinations.

As you are pretty flex on time you could get a covid test as soon as you think its going to open up. I have used melb path in Deepdene (over the road from EMC). results by 9pm every time as they only collect from 8:30-9:30am

Last edited:

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
+1 for this. Your new gear is a giant step in control over your older skis. Once you get out on it you will start looking for the meadows to enjoy the turns not just the destinations.
Mr T's travails on NNN-BC and to tele will be night/day.....NNN-BC only for long distance comfy touring - the k's. The other aspect is degradation over days. Once based out of a tent with a day pack you have plenty of time to cover distance and rest. This is where good weather comes in handy as you can stay warm when resting. Boredom can be a problem.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Thanks for the comments. I remind the panel of B.C. enthusiasts that this( see my trip report below) was the result of last weekend, a brief taste of freedom.
IMHO it is certainly not the work of two total newbies to white season BC XC ski touring and snow camping.
We skied/ skinned in with heavy packs, no stacks, snow camped and day toured with day packs.
<<https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/m...le-july30-31-aug-1st-2021.90175/#post-4784748>>

Next ski season in 2022 I will do all the things that people have so helpfully suggested. This year If I get 3- 6 days out of lockdown ( before the next lockdown swings around like a revolving door that has gone haywire ) during August and September then I want to escape from all the madness, go into the wild and push myself , so I can spend the next lockdown recovering and feeling like I did something proper and solid . Then I 'll be planning the next mission.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Thanks for the comments. I remind the panel of B.C. enthusiasts that this( see my trip report below) was the result of last weekend, a brief taste of freedom.
IMHO it is certainly not the work of two total newbies to white season BC XC ski touring and snow camping.
We skied/ skinned in with heavy packs, no stacks, snow camped and day toured with day packs.
<<https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/m...le-july30-31-aug-1st-2021.90175/#post-4784748>>

Next ski season in 2022 I will do all the things that people have so helpfully suggested. This year If I get 3- 6 days out of lockdown ( before the next lockdown swings around like a revolving door that has gone haywire ) during August and September then I want to escape from all the madness, go into the wild and push myself , so I can spend the next lockdown recovering and feeling like I did something proper and solid . Then I 'll be planning the next mission.
hmmm something to be said for a longer trip. Past3 days, ie getting in/ doing stuff/ getting out - I'd do less distance overall but then I'd get bored.. And that weather as you say is important. Also I suppose the panel have to realise you are a tourer - not a turner.....you're not lapping.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
hmmm something to be said for a longer trip. Past3 days, ie getting in/ doing stuff/ getting out - I'd do less distance overall but then I'd get bored.. And that weather as you say is important. Also I suppose the panel have to realise you are a tourer - not a turner.....you're not lapping.
Yes, Grasshopper you do understand me and how I operate and why I took up BC XC skiing. It is a much more efficient way to travel the snowy B.C. than snow shoes, it is more fun and once the camp site is set up , day touring with a day pack becomes an effortless joy.
I do want to increase my free heel Ski skills and using a ski lift and lessons can help a
lot with that .
However with the prospect of having just one week open / two weeks locked down over and over again
until Xmas 2021 , I need to get out for as long as possible each time and really reprogramme my body and soul.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Yes, Grasshopper you do understand me and how I operate and why I took up BC XC skiing. It is a much more efficient way to travel the snowy B.C. than snow shoes, it is more fun and once the camp site is set up , day touring with a day pack becomes an effortless joy.
I do want to increase my free heel Ski skills and using a ski lift and lessons can help a
lot with that .
However with the prospect of having just one week open / two weeks locked down over and over again
until Xmas 2021 , I need to get out for as long as possible each time and really reprogramme my body and soul.
but see my response on the other thread. You are not strictly a BC XC skier. You're a tourer on NNN-BC who gets into the side country of resorts just off groomed. In fact there is no such thing possibly as BC XC. You are either doing nordic or you're skiing!!

I guess the Fainters is sort of BC. But if you're not turning, then you're not really skiing. I s'pose you are a SC XC skier!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
but see my response on the other thread. You are not strictly a BC XC skier. You're a tourer on NNN-BC who gets into the side country of resorts just off groomed. In fact there is no such thing possibly as BC XC. You are either doing nordic or you're skiing!!

I guess the Fainters is sort of BC. But if you're not turning, then you're not really skiing. I s'pose you are a SC XC skier!
Whatever I am I plan to progress as a person with hopefully increasing skills on two planks and get to some remote places on two planks. @Ubiquitous Steve recognizes that my Modus operandi on skis is as a way to travel to more remote and beautiful places in the Vic. Alps in white season and circumstances permitting also in the K.N.P. in NS.W. .

Reactions: pegasusSki

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
All that said, the plan should be more time on skis touring than slogging it four days in and out, carrying the usual load plus skis and boots, for one day touring when there are better options available. New boots and skis also. I know this route you plan and if you struggled with Kellys track to Fitz's hut in summer you will not be in any state to enjoy whatever time you have on the High Plains. My estimation is a 35kg pack weight with skis and a 1200m vertical. Do what you like and good luck with it. The advice was given with the best intentions. Enough said from me.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Whatever I am I plan to progress as a person with hopefully increasing skills on two planks and get to some remote places on two planks. @Ubiquitous Steve recognizes that my Modus operandi on skis is as a way to travel to more remote and beautiful places in the Vic. Alps in white season and circumstances permitting also in the K.N.P. in NS.W. .
Indeed, true. I do know that skiing up or down a firetrail has it's own challenges. I can also say that coming down a firetrail on NNN-BC is a skill. I can't claim to be superfit and as ski-track fit as you are.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
My own white season is probably a bust now and I've only had 5 days camping and skiing and a broken rib due to a fall on the iced up steps of PV hut that is only now almost pain free
[ TG4Codiene]
but I'm a bit like MrT in that it's often the push and hard work that makes white season worthwhile. Just now I an trying to decide; pack up and pull the plug for this year and start on next season or try and fit in one more trip because I did leave my home made bivvy boots in PV hut thinking I'd be back in a week when we got locked down again.
So I say go for it MrT and keep pushing.
I'll be 70YO next white season and have no plans to quit quite yet; except for lack of money and the constraints that brings

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Another possibility is to book in at the Bogong Rover chalet, on the aqueduct between Cope Hut and Wallaces. Haven't stayed there myself but I now people who have and you don't need to be a member of Scouts. You can book for a week and have a base from which you ski around with a day pack. https://bogongroverchalet.org.au/
I was forced to cancel my 7 day booking at the Bogong Rover Chalet from 7/8/21 due to the lockdown No. 6. :-( . My BC ski trip looks like a 2022 plan now.

I doubt Melb. people will see the Vic. Alps again until October or Nov.

@pegasusSki and I were getting quite interested in a Fainters trip coming in from Big Hill during late August 2021. I could froth over a Kelly track trip to Fitzgerald's hut in winter 2022 too as well as a
Sept. 2022 trip up Timm's spur to ski tour from Roper's hut.
The virus and lockdowns will NOT hold me back indefinitely !!

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass