1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Any thoughts on using mountaineering boots in splitboard bindings?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Kelly van den Berg, May 16, 2019.

1. Kelly van den Berg

Kelly van den Berg Hard Yards

Im wondering if any splitboard mountaineers are happy running their mountaineer boots in splitboard bindings? If so what boots do you have ?

I’d rather get a pair of Fitwells but finding those sizes to fit woman’s feet ... impossible.

I’ve tried MTBs but again no one can seem to actually find the ladies versions or sizes.
    Plus let’s face it id rather snowboard in a mountaineering boot than climb in a snowboard boot.

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

3. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Get fitwells. They climb great. People used to use the La Sportiva Spantik, but you don't really come across that any more.

Get in touch with Rich at www.splitn2.com - he'll probably be able to let you know where to look for smaller sized fitwells if he can't help you out directly.

Conners and Kelly van den Berg like this.
  4. Kelly van den Berg

Thanks Mate. Already speaking with Rich. We’re unsure if their smallest size will fit me but waiting for clarification from the company.

Red_switch likes this.
  5. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

I don’t think mountaineering boots would go that well in ride mode, but then again I’ve never even strapped on a pair.

The only problem I see with fitwells is that they’re very heavy. I have burton tourists and they’re light, but still take semi auto crampons.

If you’re doing serious mountaineering that much as part of your splitboarding then I’d go for hard boots (e.g. atomic backlands or arcteryx proclines) with something like phantoms or spark dynos which is a lightweight setup and rides well too.

Kelly van den Berg and Belly like this.
  6. Red_switch

Fitwells are a bit heavy, yes, but I've been treating mine like shit in NZ since 2012 and they are still going strong.

On the ski/hard boot thing, plastic mountaineering boots are long out of fashion for a reason. Fitwells are much nicer for extended periods of cramponing, boot packing etc (I do a fair bit of this with skiers). If ski mountaineers could get away with leather boots for skiing, in order to get the climbing advantages, they would. Indeed, some do.

Kelly van den Berg likes this.
  7. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Your choice depends on 1- how technical you want to climb and 2-how secure you wish to feel in a remote situation. Cruising around an area such as Glacier du Tour (normal route) is mostly fine with soft boots. Venturing off to the PD graded ( and above ) routes requires hard boots if you want to remain sane.

8. Red_switch

Incase you're not familiar with them, Fitwells are not exactly a "soft" boot. I've had mine in plenty of spicy situations. Not as much ankle articulation as a proper climbing boot (probably better than ski boots still), but dudes are climbing WI5 in them so can't be too bad.

9. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I hadn’t heard of fitwell before.
    Nice!

I bought my current boots specifically to hold properly onto crampons and snowshoes - that extra little protrusion on the back to ensure a solid hold is magic.

But I’ve also had to glue the damn thing back twice as the pressure on it from crampons and snowshoes is ripping the rubber off the boot, and then it catches me out when I’m just riding resort and the loose rubber hooks on the binding when I’m stepping out. Nearly trips me up so often.

I’ll defo have a closer look at Fitwell for my next boots. Thanks.

Kelly van den Berg and nezumi like this.
  10. Red_switch

What are your current boots? There area a few important considerations in constructing a boot like this that seem to be beyond the usual snowboard companies.

11. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

They’re K2 Maysis.

I had a snowshoe slip off the back of my Burton Ions as there was no where for them to grip on, had to keep tightening and moving them on a short hike up. Very quickly decided that I needed a more secure option before the next uphill - so hit up boot solutions the next day. Early season, loads of options, but I ended up with these men’s K2s because they were the only ones that were a) a decent fit, and b) actually worked well with the shoes and crampons.

To be fair they’ve been awesome except for the problem with the rubber pulling away from the boot due to the unusual pressure. Not a
    Problem in front foot, just annoying on back foot.

12. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Light AT boot ( La Sportiva Syborg or similar) and light tech bindings for the climb . Leave the boots in walk mode for the descent ?

13. jonathanc

jonathanc One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Agreed - some of the heel welts on splitboard boots are just for marketing and are completely non-functional for a semi-automatic crampon. @LMB's experience is a good example.

Kelly van den Berg and LMB like this.
  14. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

How do you find the width of the Fitwells?

Had looked into them for my petite Italian, but smallest size was still too large.

For myself, thought them too narrow, have been making do with the Deeluxe Sparks, which have been fair, but toe box way to soft for kicking & sole way to poorly attached for more than a modicum of cramping.

15. Red_switch

I have pretty oafy wide feet, fitwell have been sweet. Other friends have added an intuition liner and had good results.

16. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I just had a quick squizz at these boots. Personally I wouldn't compromise on ride performance, and at NZD700 I'd like some assurance accordingly.

17. Red_switch

They are the only boots I've ridden in, on piste, off piste, backcounty. Since 2012 (same pair since then, still on original liners).

They are more than happy ripping groomers at 70 km/h plus, or riding sketchy tight lines, or wallowing in pow, or harvesting corn. Sometimes (not very often these days) I even do tricks with them on!

They do ride a little differently to other boots, as the sole is completely rigid - weight transfer edge to edge is the best I've had from any boot. Can feel a bit touchy at first on that basis, especially if you've been in softer boots prior. But yeah, nah, once you figure that out (10 turns max), you'll be happy.

They far exceed any other "soft" boot when it comes to every aspect of touring/snowboard mountaineering.

18. Kelly van den Berg

Good advice thank you !

19. Kelly van den Berg

Yes after doing the research I came up with the same idea but like everything it’s hard to know for sure until you’re putting them to the test

20. Kelly van den Berg

Wow that’s a good sell ... I’m keen. Hope I can get my size

21. Kelly van den Berg

Update on the boots ... got them in from Fitwells in italy via Rich at Splitn2. Totally stoked with how they ride so far. Can’t wait to get them out and about more. Thanks for all the advice

Attached Files:

22. Kelly van den Berg

Mmm

Attached Files:

Untele-whippet likes this.
  23. smackies

smackies A Local

Do you mind if I ask what size they are?

I've looked at fitwells, but they've always been too big.

24. Kelly van den Berg

I managed to get a pair of 150’s. My regular foot size is woman’s 8.5 so not large

Good luck !