1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Any thoughts on using mountaineering boots in splitboard bindings?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Kelly van den Berg, May 16, 2019.

1. Kelly van den Berg

Kelly van den Berg First Runs

Im wondering if any splitboard mountaineers are happy running their mountaineer boots in splitboard bindings? If so what boots do you have ?

I’d rather get a pair of Fitwells but finding those sizes to fit woman’s feet ... impossible.

I’ve tried MTBs but again no one can seem to actually find the ladies versions or sizes.
    Plus let’s face it id rather snowboard in a mountaineering boot than climb in a snowboard boot.

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

3. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Get fitwells. They climb great. People used to use the La Sportiva Spantik, but you don't really come across that any more.

Get in touch with Rich at www.splitn2.com - he'll probably be able to let you know where to look for smaller sized fitwells if he can't help you out directly.

Kelly van den Berg likes this.
  4. Kelly van den Berg

Kelly van den Berg First Runs

Thanks Mate. Already speaking with Rich. We’re unsure if their smallest size will fit me but waiting for clarification from the company.

Red_switch likes this.
  5. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

I don’t think mountaineering boots would go that well in ride mode, but then again I’ve never even strapped on a pair.

The only problem I see with fitwells is that they’re very heavy. I have burton tourists and they’re light, but still take semi auto crampons.

If you’re doing serious mountaineering that much as part of your splitboarding then I’d go for hard boots (e.g. atomic backlands or arcteryx proclines) with something like phantoms or spark dynos which is a lightweight setup and rides well too.

6. Red_switch

Fitwells are a bit heavy, yes, but I've been treating mine like shit in NZ since 2012 and they are still going strong.

On the ski/hard boot thing, plastic mountaineering boots are long out of fashion for a reason. Fitwells are much nicer for extended periods of cramponing, boot packing etc (I do a fair bit of this with skiers). If ski mountaineers could get away with leather boots for skiing, in order to get the climbing advantages, they would. Indeed, some do.

7. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Your choice depends on 1- how technical you want to climb and 2-how secure you wish to feel in a remote situation. Cruising around an area such as Glacier du Tour (normal route) is mostly fine with soft boots. Venturing off to the PD graded ( and above ) routes requires hard boots if you want to remain sane.

8. Red_switch

Incase you're not familiar with them, Fitwells are not exactly a "soft" boot. I've had mine in plenty of spicy situations. Not as much ankle articulation as a proper climbing boot (probably better than ski boots still), but dudes are climbing WI5 in them so can't be too bad.

9. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I hadn’t heard of fitwell before.
    Nice!

I bought my current boots specifically to hold properly onto crampons and snowshoes - that extra little protrusion on the back to ensure a solid hold is magic.

But I’ve also had to glue the damn thing back twice as the pressure on it from crampons and snowshoes is ripping the rubber off the boot, and then it catches me out when I’m just riding resort and the loose rubber hooks on the binding when I’m stepping out. Nearly trips me up so often.

I’ll defo have a closer look at Fitwell for my next boots. Thanks.

nezumi likes this.
  10. Red_switch

What are your current boots? There area a few important considerations in constructing a boot like this that seem to be beyond the usual snowboard companies.

11. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

They’re K2 Maysis.

I had a snowshoe slip off the back of my Burton Ions as there was no where for them to grip on, had to keep tightening and moving them on a short hike up. Very quickly decided that I needed a more secure option before the next uphill - so hit up boot solutions the next day. Early season, loads of options, but I ended up with these men’s K2s because they were the only ones that were a) a decent fit, and b) actually worked well with the shoes and crampons.

To be fair they’ve been awesome except for the problem with the rubber pulling away from the boot due to the unusual pressure. Not a
    Problem in front foot, just annoying on back foot.

12. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Light AT boot ( La Sportiva Syborg or similar) and light tech bindings for the climb . Leave the boots in walk mode for the descent ?

13. jonathanc

jonathanc One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Agreed - some of the heel welts on splitboard boots are just for marketing and are completely non-functional for a semi-automatic crampon. @LMB's experience is a good example.

LMB likes this.