Anyone been to Tahoe recently?

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
I have 3 nights in SFO next week and original plan included the possibility of 3 nights Tahoe instead. Can ski Squaw and Epic spots on my pass. Am currently injured so have a preference for non icy sunny groomers.

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Haven’t skied Squaw.
Do a session with Scott Flint, free skiing with race squad; best coaching you ca get without having lesson. Seriously though, the coast north of San Francisco is very special. And 2-3 days isn't enough time ti do Squaw and Alpine Meadows justice. And not sure if you have skied Kirkwood yet.

Reactions: dawooduck

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Do a session with Scott Flint, free skiing with race squad; best coaching you ca get without having lesson. Seriously though, the coast north of San Francisco is very special. And 2-3 days isn't enough time ti do Squaw and Alpine Meadows justice. And not sure if you have skied Kirkwood yet.
I’ve got a buggered shoulder, I’m cruising around one handed. I have free skiing, so it doesn’t matter if I do it justice or not, I’ll be skirting the edges anyway.

I have driven the coast road from Canada to Mexico before, if I didn’t ski I’d probably revisit the south coast, Carmel, Big Sur. But travelling on my own, I don’t get to take in the views really. I feel I need to fill in the days with activity, not just driving.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Have skied, can do on Epic I believe.

Indeed you can. Get there early as car park fills up and does cost $$ now..

Great resort for cruising around on groomers . Like falls creek just bigger and a few steeper bits.

Reactions: FixedGrip

B-Dub

Addicted
Jul 20, 2017
Canberra
Just got back.

Did Diamond Peak, Northstar, Homewood, Heavenly and Mt Rose this trip. Have done Squaw on a previous trip.

For your Epic resorts, Northstar was empty midweek but packed on Saturday/Sunday. Heavenly was fairly busy midweek but we had two days of windy conditions so didn't see it at its best. For a quickie out of SF, Northstar works due to its accessibility.

If you get a chance to do a sneaky day at Mt Rose...do it.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Any recommendations on accomodation? Prefer a small kitchen. One bed serviced apartments have worked well for me this trip. I could stay Squaw, Northstar or Truckee and be central I believe.

Reactions: skifree

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Kirkwood!! Go to Kirkwood!

What nights? Sunday night the first night for a bed or Saturday (first day skiing Sunday?)

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Kirkwood!! Go to Kirkwood!

What nights? Sunday night the first night for a bed or Saturday (first day skiing Sunday?)
I think we skied there last time. I’ve never been to Squaw. Saturday night in, Tuesday out.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Long cruisy groomers Northatar is the best choice

Squaw is ok for that but more varied terrain overall

Reactions: FixedGrip

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
I think common sense has prevailed, and I’ll rest up my shoulder around Monterey instead. Tahoe will have to wait.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Harper11

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Brisbane
2AFF4DC7-CF9E-4384-AB8D-76CDAFAE2568.jpeg

https://reddit.app.link/3Dcpcqj2T3

Could have popped into alpine meadows
No crowds

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Sorry late to the party on this one!

After a run of super cold days, Tahoe finally thawed late last week and the skiing was sensational. It’s a fairly low tide year, but there’s still plenty of snow around. The super bowl top up helped. Friday was mega - soft but not slush, bright sun, a real ‘ski anywhere’ kinda day.

The C17 Globemaster low pass right overhead when I was a few turns into Siberia Bowl was the icing on the cake. Murica :cool:

Reactions: skifree and skiflat

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
@mx_boarder has just been there and is en route to Utah I believe.

Yep here now, arrived yesterday eve. Managed to get up to DV for the WC dual moguls last night which was bloody awesome.

Massive dump the last several days, but per reports it’s been a really weird one. LCC got absolutely smashed, but BCC/PC areas got far less. It was heavy too.

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@chicski love that drive. Did it with vet (DN) before he fell off the deep end and he was wowed...... only his fifth trip to Tahoe in five years and other than seeing the airport, highway and the mountains, he never took time out to see anything else.

Reactions: Skichic2
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass