Anyone have a pic of Frostys Drop sign at Hotham?

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Hey there, I'm just trying to re-create a trail sign exactly as it is on the mountain for the little run Frostys Drop...does anyone have a pic of that they can upload?

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
its a bit rainy and yucky outside.
20211018_134728_HDR.jpg

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Thank you very much, that's a better pic :)

I thought it changed to a black run on the trail maps last year??? Did someone make a boo boo???

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Thank you very much, that's a better pic :)

I thought it changed to a black run on the trail maps last year??? Did someone make a boo boo???
Hah, looks so!
Capture+_2021-10-20-09-19-58.png

I haven't actually skied it, but it doesn't look very black from the top. Must be some spot that matches the criteria. Probably that it drops into davenport with kids skiing past.

Reactions: Tanuki

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
its realy just a blue, but its typically upgraded to black if its icy and also it can get sketchy right at the base when its chewed up and there is a little rockband and its north facing.....but if you stack you just get spat onto davenport.

i hadnt noticed the black run change, but like everything now there is an abundance of caution. If skiing was invented now it would be banned for not being safe enough.

Reactions: Young Angus

Luken

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Belgrave South, 230m ASL
www.p1technology.com.au
It's a tricky little run in anything but perfect conditions.. so like once a year..

But then the track down to the bottom is also tricky for anyone whos not at least high intermediate. It's just very variable, tight, step drops off the side, can be icy, slushy, can be gravel, rocks and mud! Black makes sense to scare off the uninitiated!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
Every time its open for us! Its all part of the experience! :) Frosties and Davenport access is a right of passage for hotham kids as its often the first time taken off the Big D.

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
I love Frosty Drop but I've come a cropper on it before when I was a beginner...fell and landed on my arm weird and nearly tore my shoulder out of the socket so black status makes sense for those who aren't ready for it and when conditions suck.

I saw some people ski across the road once from Jack Frost and some lifty yelled at them for wrecking their skis haha or maybe he worked at Snow Monkey tuning skis, probably the latter, he was pretty passionate about not taking nice skis on the road haha

• Wow
Reactions: mr and skifree

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Just to be clear we only ski over the road when its covered in fresh
I would too if it were soft enough...it was pretty funny when I was seeing people do it there wasn't enough on the road but people could get enough slip anyway so were doing it and probably scratching the heck out of their skis :(

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass