Question Anyone keen for some backcountry touring around Whitewater?

Mr_Ed

Hard Yards
Oct 22, 2009
Hi All,

Bit of a long shot but just wondering if any forumites happen to be around the Whitewater area and might be up for some backcountry touring nearby?

I have my AST1 (twice actually) and a car. I've done a little bit of touring at Evening Ridge and Kootenay Pass on a previous trip but don't know the area super well.

Give me a shout if anyone is around.

I'm around Nelson until probably the 20th.

Cheers

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham
I'm in Rossland sans car but with all the other gear (splitboard, AST1 etc), not up that way though until possibly next month....And i don't know the area at all :) But if you're down this way i'm here.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
I am leaving Nelson on Sat for Rossland after spending two weeks here. My comment, unless it really snows nicely and consistently over the next weeks then save your hiking legs.

Snow pack is sketchy as, top is okay, lots of serious breakable crust in the mid altitudes and higher. Frozen rain cuts 60cms down remains in place. It hasn't snowed for two weeks so almost everything that can be poached has been. I have skied Whitewater, including the decent fall of snow two Mondays ago which fell on exposed rocks and stumps, Kootenay Pass and the Valhalla range these past weeks.

I am skiing White-water Friday as it is supposed to snow 10cms. That will fall on trashed low snow pack terrain.

Good luck and be careful.

Mr_Ed

Hard Yards
Oct 22, 2009
Thanks guys,

@Camelot I probably won't get down to Rossland but if that changes I'll give you a shout.

@dawooduck thanks for the tips. I've just come down from Revy and Kicking Horse with a day at Rogers Pass and the story is much the same up there. I'll be around Whitewater today in a red Rossignol soft shell with a Kathmandu pack on so yell out if you see me and are keen for a couple of runs.
How was your Valhalla day? Thinking about trying to get on a standby day if it's worthwhile.

Cheers

Reactions: Camelot

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
:D

Well there ya go, I am not too hard to find on a POW day after all. Single in the lift line trying to blend in ..... Whitewater turned on its best day for us and lets hope this lovely snow continues.

Nice meeting you Ed and great fun skiing with you. Sharp turns and big smile.

Happy travels and good luck with your Vancouver life.

Mr_Ed

Hard Yards
Oct 22, 2009
Cheers Phil, it was a great day...hopefully tomorrow is even better!

I hope Red and the Rossland backcountry turns it on for you.

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham
See you out there Duck, black helmet , light blue jacket, kahki pants, riding my split cause that's all i got here, should be good :)

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Yeh har ... will keep a look out.

Keep your eye out for a stoned zebra or some old bloke that looks like a forest and has some Melbourne bogan ski shop stickers on his Cochise.

Reactions: Camelot
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using