Opinion Anyone own or used a Garmin GPSMAP 64?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by axellotta, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:53 PM.

1. axellotta

axellotta Hard Yards

Hi all, so after another late afternoon start to a ski tour last weekend trying to find the hut on a moonless night in deteriorating weather using map, compass and iPhone (with fast decreasing battery) I have decided to bite the bullet and invest in a handheld GPS. Leaning towards the GPSMAP64 / 64S as I don't want to have to remove my gloves and like the robustness of the design.

Does anyone have an opinion on this model or similar? It seems that a lot of the reviews for GPS units are from the Geocaching community and no disrespect to them a lot of the things they rate as highly important for their particular type of train-spotting I have no requirement for. I am just after a reliable, accurate GPS that I can use to navigate with (map and compass as a backup) during bushwalking in the summer and ski-touring in the winter.

I'm also tossing up whether to splash out the extra for the 64S for the electronic compass (I have no interest in the smart-phone connectivity (WTF is with everything having to be connected all the damn time, Isn't the point to get outdoors and unplug for a while?!!), or will the fact that I will have a standard compass always on hand mean that the electronic compass is not really required (very interested on people's opinions on this one).

Cheers!

2. Slowman

Slowman Addicted
    Ski Pass - Gold

I have not used the model you are looking at but I have been using a Garmin Oregon 450 for some years and it has worked fine. I never use the electronic compass as I just use a normal compass if need be. Battery life is a bit ordinary if you leave it on.

What I also found was that the sheer amount and weight of the electronics I was carrying got irritating - camera, phone, Epirb and GPS. This season I reduced it down to two items - a newer iPhone with a better camera and the very nifty Garmin Inreach Explorer which is a combined GPS/satellite text message/Epirb. It does require a monthly fee for service but you can suspend this if you are not using it for a period.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

4. GS

GS A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I use the earlier GPSMap 60 and have been very happy using it walking/skiing, as a navigator on a motorbike and some sailing. It also has the compass but I've never really used it.

The OSM mapset is also pretty good these days as a free alternative

5. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I've had a GPS60 (basic b/w, no maps version) since 2006 and it's still going strong. I find the operating system much more usable than Magellan's and the functions do everything I need (except show maps). I also would not bother with the compass - it's easy to find north with the basic GPS by just taking a couple of steps in any direction. I'm looking for a map-capable upgrade and will almost certainly go for something in the GPS 60 series.

6. weerab

weerab One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I met a guy at fitzys hut who had just sold his garmin as his iphone was better. It looked great to me much better screen he was using an app wbose name i cant recall. He also sold his lumix point and shoot as iphone was better!

7. zapruda

zapruda Hard Yards

I got rid of the GPS a few years ago in favour of an iPhone with Gaia gps (app) and a powerbank to keep it going. The app is free and can be loaded with free NSW 25k LPI topos.

It’s faster than the old etrex 30x and way easier to read and use.

You can do all this offline of course. You don’t need data or reception. I find the iPhone very accurate.

8. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Ski Pass - Gold

Where did you get the free topos?

9. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I've tried to use the GPS function in my Samsung S4 a few times and found it bloody useless. Slow to refresh, inaccurate, clunky to use and short battery life. My Garmin will go for 24 hrs plus on a set of batteries; the phone with GPS and screen active is dead in a couple of hours.